JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Just scheduled an electrician to install a 14-50 240v / 50 Amp plug in my garage for this Friday. Will cost $1,500 since he has to run wire from my basement, across the house, up to the garage. ALSO ordered a JuiceBox 40 Next Generation Plug-In EVSE. It’s getting real now! No turning back. ?
Ours was around $2k as they put a 2nd meter on the side of the house, ran the wiring through the basement clear to the other side of the house to the garage.

A former coworker also was charged around $2k. In his instance he had a detached garage and they had to trench a line from the house to the garage (he saved a little by having his son dig the trench).

In both instances, however, we didn't end up paying $2k: The power company had a tax rebate going on and we ended up paying out of pocket around $100.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Wow... that's some serious $$$! The good news is, you'll be very happy with your JB 40. It's a very solid EVSE that does its job well.
-30% doing it this year though (federal tax credit).

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Ours was around $2k as they put a 2nd meter on the side of the house, ran the wiring through the basement clear to the other side of the house to the garage.

A former coworker also was charged around $2k. In his instance he had a detached garage and they had to trench a line from the house to the garage (he saved a little by having his son dig the trench).

In both instances, however, we didn't end up paying $2k: The power company had a tax rebate going on and we ended up paying out of pocket around $100.
That’s awesome..

That’s awesome. Wish my electric company offered such a rebate. They don’t. Oh well.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Installing a new 50A circuit and my Grizzl-E EVSE today - Just finishing moving some breakers around, combining 2 20A breakers on a tandem, and installing a whole-home surge suppresser.

Gotta do some drywall cutting and whatnot to pull the 6/3 romex, so I'm going to get some small access panels to cover them (to make future electrical work in the garage easier).

We're going to be renovating the basement/garage within a few years so I can do things a bit more tidy then - Will have to upgrade our panel then too 'cause I'll be out of spots and not more tandem options after installing the EVSE.

horsiedad

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT PE, Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Does anyone know how the Ford Connected charger attaches to the wall? I assume that it is installed over an electrical box. I'd like to know how big of a hole I need to cut in the wall to install the charger.

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
Does anyone know how the Ford Connected charger attaches to the wall? I assume that it is installed over an electrical box. I'd like to know how big of a hole I need to cut in the wall to install the charger.
Let the electrician do that work. But in general, I don’t think you’ll need any junction box in the wall...the charger itself is serving that function, from a wiring safety perspective.

horsiedad

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT PE, Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Let the electrician do that work. But in general, I don’t think you’ll need any junction box in the wall...the charger itself is serving that function, from a wiring safety perspective.
@MattG, with all due respect:

1) You do not know how much experience I have installing electrical wiring and devices (which is considerable). Having it inspected to meet code is the key.
2) You may be correct about the junction box, but I am looking for specifics about installing this device. I assume that somebody out on the Internet has seen the installation manual or at least has seen how it's installed.

Thank you.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

1) You do not know how much experience I have installing electrical wiring and devices (which is considerable). Having it inspected to meet code is the key.
2) You may be correct about the junction box, but I am looking for specifics about installing this device. I assume that somebody out on the Internet has seen the installation manual or at least has seen how it's installed.

Thank you.
No one has seen one in person as they won’t be delivering them for a few months.

janitorjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150 2001, explorer xlt 2013
Country flag

Thank you.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Preparing for Mach-E charging at home - preparation and installing charger 173093_10150137117459414_8129811_o_10150137117459414

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Got my Grizzl-E installed yesterday, will have to wait for the Mach-E to test though!

The basement/garage will see some renovations in the next year or so, so I didn't bother making it look too pretty. When those renovations happen I'll be adding a meter to the circuit to take advantage of my electric utilities EV time-of-day billing.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Preparing for Mach-E charging at home - preparation and installing charger IMG_0247
Sponsored