staylor913

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Just posting that I had an electrician installed NEMA plug put in today and then mounted a JuiceBox 40 and it works flawlessly with the Mach-E!
I‘m looking to have an outlet installed soon, what amp did you in installed to your outlet?
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I‘m looking to have an outlet installed soon, what amp did you in installed to your outlet?
A 40A charger like that would need a 50A outlet/breaker (NEMA 14-50 outlet). That's the most common setup, unless you choose an EVSE that needs to be hardwired.

IrisSFNM

First Name
Iris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition
Country flag
I'm still not even 100% sure I'll put in 240v at all. We're pretty low-usage drivers (retired). 120v will add 40-50 miles/day, which is more than we usually drive in an average day. And at least 2 or 3 days/week we don't even leave the house, where it can charge 40+ hours straight.

I'll have the luxury of getting the car first and using 120v before deciding whether to install 240v. That is, if we buy the car at all (have to see how/when the economy and the stock market recovers).
The 120v has been working just fine for us. We are similar to you in usage.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
The 120v has been working just fine for us. We are similar to you in usage.
I think it would work for most people to be honest. Although I put in a 240 V outlet with a Grizzl-e EVSE which is capable of 40 A, I set it to 32 A (and that's more than I really need). In general slower charging is more efficient and better for the battery.

I think people just see bigger numbers and simply want that. Much like how people see the new F-150 Lightning with 80 A charging and are mad that the MME doesn't support that because 80 > 48. Not to mention that a lot of houses only have 100 A service and with a necessary 80% derating, it would take the entire house's service!

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think it would work for most people to be honest. Although I put in a 240 V outlet with a Grizzl-e EVSE which is capable of 40 A, I set it to 32 A (and that's more than I really need). In general slower charging is more efficient and better for the battery.

I think people just see bigger numbers and simply want that. Much like how people see the new F-150 Lightning with 80 A charging and are mad that the MME doesn't support that because 80 > 48. Not to mention that a lot of houses only have 100 A service and with a necessary 80% derating, it would take the entire house's service!
Exactly.

I did the same - ended up installing a 50A circuit with a 14-50 outlet, and a Grizzl-E. In part because the 30% tax credit was originally set to expire end of last year, so I figured better to just bite the bullet on the high cost. (Turns out it didn't matter as the credit got extended, but better safe than sorry.)

Eventually I lowered my Grizzl-E to 24A to minimize the demand charge on my electric bill. But even though 120V would have worked 98% of the time, it's nice being able to do a full charge overnight when needed. I only plug in about once a week now.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag

F-150 Lightning was also designed for the business customer... so the truck may be in use for 16 hours/day (two 8 hour work shifts) every day. For that, you need to use the 8 hour downtime to get to full charge, likely at your business location. Nearly all business building will have ample 240VAC service available, so it makes sense to have the F-150 be able to "drink" more current at 240VAC so you can get to full charge in 8 hours.

Texas-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Eventually I lowered my Grizzl-E to 24A to minimize the demand charge on my electric bill. But even though 120V would have worked 98% of the time, it's nice being able to do a full charge overnight when needed. I only plug in about once a week now.
Sorry, I'm not sure I'm following how lowering to 24A minimizes the demand charge. It might be something where you live that I don't understand. I don't pay by the amp, I pay by the KWH consumed. I don't have peak rates, but if I did, I would just schedule around those.

I was able to easily run from my main panel outside, so I ran 4 gauge SER on a 60A breaker. My Chargepoint runs at 48A, and then I control the when and how much I want to charge.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sorry, I'm not sure I'm following how lowering to 24A minimizes the demand charge. It might be something where you live that I don't understand. I don't pay by the amp, I pay by the KWH consumed. I don't have peak rates, but if I did, I would just schedule around those.

I was able to easily run from my main panel outside, so I ran 4 gauge SER on a 60A breaker. My Chargepoint runs at 48A, and then I control the when and how much I want to charge.
Demand charges are not very common for residential customers, but some power companies apply them (like mine). In addition to the normal per-kWh rate, a demand charge is an extra surcharge for the peak kW used during the month. Even when charging overnight with little else on in the house, the charger still tend to create the peak kW draw. So lowering the power spreads it out more and lowers that additional peak demand charge.

Monkeyking

First Name
Li
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC 60 recharge, Mach E AWD premium
Country flag
i have a new question, looking for some answers.

I just encountered this ”charging paused” issue. i have been using the same lvl2 charger for the last 3 months without a problem. now suddenly I’m getting the “charging paused” message on the screen. I tried plugging/unplugging, tinkering with the charging schedule, all failed. So I decided to try my wife’s lvl2 charger, and it worked! So it appears that my charger is the problem. But then I plugged my charger into her car and it worked for her car!

what is going on?!

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag

I just encountered this ”charging paused” issue. i have been using the same lvl2 charger for the last 3 months without a problem. now suddenly I’m getting the “charging paused” message on the screen. I tried plugging/unplugging, tinkering with the charging schedule, all failed. So I decided to try my wife’s lvl2 charger, and it worked! So it appears that my charger is the problem. But then I plugged my charger into her car and it worked for her car!

what is going on?!
What charger is it that isn't working? Is it a "smart" EVSE?

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag

what is going on?!
I have my charger (chargepoint) set to only charge after 10 PM. So if I plug in before then, FordPasss tells me charging paused. After 10 PM it begins charging. So check the configuration on your charger.

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
In general slower charging is more efficient and better for the battery.
This is however unfortunately not true at 110v. The power electronics all have to stay awake so can easily consume 30% or more of the power. If the fans/compressor kick on due to ambient temperature, the drain may even end up gaining on the charge level. I speak as one who charged at 110v for for 7 years on his old volt. Get a L2 even if it is a 16 amp 240 v one, your experience will be so much better and the next owner of your home will thank you.

Monkeyking

First Name
Li
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC 60 recharge, Mach E AWD premium
Country flag
What charger is it that isn't working? Is it a "smart" EVSE?
It’s a generic charger I got on Amazon: Megear level 2 charger, 240v 16 amp. I have a NEMA6-20 outlet, so can’t use the Ford mobile charger. Wife’s charger came with her Volvo XC60 recharge.

the Megear charger doesn’t work even when I set charging schedule to charge at any time.

John&KayEVS

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium XR/RWD
Country flag
My MME is scheduled for dealer delivery on July 16. So I am picking location to install NEMA 14-50 receptacle in my garage and plan to use the mobile charger with 240v attachment. Does anyone know length of the 15-40 attachment and mobile charger body - maybe from top of plug to bottom of charger case?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My MME is scheduled for dealer delivery on July 16. So I am picking location to install NEMA 14-50 receptacle in my garage and plan to use the mobile charger with 240v attachment. Does anyone know length of the 15-40 attachment and mobile charger body - maybe from top of plug to bottom of charger case?
Here's a spec sheet (bottom one is the one that comes with the car). Charger body is about 11" tall, and the 240v plug pigtail is another 11".

https://www.ford.com/ntzlibs/conten...-sheet/Home_Install_Spec_Sheet_0831_FINAL.pdf
Sponsored