John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
FINALLY . . . got notice from Lowe's of shipment of my 50 Amp Square D Homeline 2 pole breaker for my panel! Who would have thought that Covid would cause a shortage of breakers? Trying to find one was like searching for Clorox wipes. Maybe I will have my new Grizzl-E EVSE installed this week! Anyone else have this problem?

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
FINALLY . . . got notice from Lowe's of shipment of my 50 Amp Square D Homeline 2 pole breaker for my panel! Who would have thought that Covid would cause a shortage of breakers? Trying to find one was like searching for Clorox wipes. Maybe I will have my new Grizzl-E EVSE installed this week! Anyone else have this problem?
Hah - I work for an electrical distributor (who mainly deals with Schneider Electric stuff) and boy, getting breakers has been a huge challenge lately. They're slowly starting to trickle in now though, but still have a ton of backorders for stock.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Hah - I work for an electrical distributor (who mainly deals with Schneider Electric stuff) and boy, getting breakers has been a huge challenge lately. They're slowly starting to trickle in now though, but still have a ton of backorders for stock.
The other brands all seemed to be in stock. Just the Square D seemed to be out of stock. I was beginning to wonder what I would get first, the car, or the circuit breaker.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I'll be a first time EV owner. I'm about to pull the trigger and order a Juicebox 40 Next Generation EVSE from Amazon (plug-in version). I just want to make sure I'm getting the right EVSE for my needs. I'll hire an electrician to install the 240v 14-50 plug. Will I need a 50amp circuit to support this EVSE? With this charger, about how many miles of range per hour can I expect with this 40amp EVSE, and what if I got the cheaper 32amp version? Just wanted to know the difference and if it was worth the price for the upgrade. Thanks!

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
I'll be a first time EV owner. I'm about to pull the trigger and order a Juicebox 40 Next Generation EVSE from Amazon (plug-in version). I just want to make sure I'm getting the right EVSE for my needs. I'll hire an electrician to install the 240v 14-50 plug. Will I need a 50amp circuit to support this EVSE? With this charger, about how many miles of range per hour can I expect with this 40amp EVSE, and what if I got the cheaper 32amp version? Just wanted to know the difference and if it was worth the price for the upgrade. Thanks!
Your electrician will size the circuit on the NEMA 14-50 outlet, doesn’t matter what you plan on plugging in to it.

I haven’t seen final charge rates from ford yet, but typically 32A gets 22-25 miles per hour of charge, looking at other EVs.

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
Here’s a nice table I found at chargepoint:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Preparing for Mach-E charging at home - preparation and installing charger 0A3AF57F-AFF1-48EC-8513-CD0C7FCE751E

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Yes, you need a 50amp circuit breaker for a 40amp charger, and of course the appropriate gauge wire.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Yes, you need a 50amp circuit breaker for a 40amp charger, and of course the appropriate gauge wire.
Thanks, perhaps I should just wait on ordering the EVSE, and let the electrician tell me what my current setup will actually allow. I know I have a 200amp box, but before I spend $650 on a unit, I should probably find out if my setup will support it.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Also, just want to confirm that if I got the 40a version, the MME will be able to charge at that rate. Thanks.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Thanks, perhaps I should just wait on ordering the EVSE, and let the electrician tell me what my current setup will actually allow. I know I have a 200amp box, but before I spend $650 on a unit, I should probably find out if my setup will support it.
Exactly. Our electrician came out, checked out panel and need, told us what we could accommodate at various cost levels and gave us an estimate. He also confirmed the EVSE we chose was appropriate before we ordered it. We also went with an electrician recommended for EVSE installation.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Exactly. Our electrician came out, checked out panel and need, told us what we could accommodate at various cost levels and gave us an estimate. He also confirmed the EVSE we chose was appropriate before we ordered it. We also went with an electrician recommended for EVSE installation.
Sound advice!

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Your electrician will size the circuit on the NEMA 14-50 outlet, doesn’t matter what you plan on plugging in to it.

I haven’t seen final charge rates from ford yet, but typically 32A gets 22-25 miles per hour of charge, looking at other EVs.
32 amp is probably good but 40 amp gets you prepared for future needs or for faster charging if need be

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Also, just want to confirm that if I got the 40a version, the MME will be able to charge at that rate. Thanks.
Yes, it will charge at anything up to 48A. That's what the Ford Connected Wall Charger uses.

Circuits can handle 80% of the rated breaker. So a 40A charger needs a 50A or higher breaker, a 32A charger needs a 40A or higher, etc.

Check out the Grizzl-E. $412, and goes up to 40A. That's what many of us got.

32A charger adds 21 miles each hour to the Mach-E, 40A about 26 miles, 48A about 32 miles, and so on. But those are just estimates. What it really adds is kWhs. 40A x 240V = 9.6 kW each hour (thus kWh). The full (usable) ER battery is 88 kWh, so you can do the math on the time. Figure roughly 3 miles per kWh added.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Yes, it will charge at anything up to 48A. That's what the Ford Connected Wall Charger uses.

Circuits can handle 80% of the rated breaker. So a 40A charger needs a 50A or higher breaker, a 32A charger needs a 40A or higher, etc.

Check out the Grizzl-E. $412, and goes up to 40A. That's what many of us got.

32A charger adds 21 miles each hour to the Mach-E, 40A about 26 miles, 48A about 32 miles, and so on. But those are just estimates. What it really adds is kWhs. 40A x 240V = 9.6 kW each hour (thus kWh). The full (usable) ER battery is 88 kWh, so you can do the math on the time. Figure roughly 3 miles per kWh added.
Perfect break-down!
Sponsored