JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Well, after $1,500 to install a 240 / 50amp outlet in my garage, and $649 for a JuiceBox 40 Next Generation, I finally have everything installed. All that's missing is an electric car! I'm taking a huge leap transitioning from ICE to BEV, but I'm ready, and there's no turning back!
IMG_4101.jpg
I have the same charger delivered today - electrician will be scheduling a time for wiring next few weeks - pulling the wire across the garage to locate the outlet exactly where the charge port of the Mach E will be ; there is a shorter distance option too but will need to drape the cable across the hood to connect or do a ceiling setup like some have done - so thinking of options to minimize cost.

Mach Daddy

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Land Rover Discovery, F-150 Lightnin
Country flag
Ya, it stung. The breaker box is in my basement, on the opposite side of the house of my garage. So, electrician had to run it across the house, and up a level, and out to the garage. I keep telling myself it will be worth it.
The federal tax credit will lessen the sting in a few months. 30% of your $1500.

I am still debating whether to install the 14-50 plug myself. The tax credit is nice however my panel is in the garage so the install should be easy. Also, permitting/inspection should be straightforward. The savings would be about $500.

But this being America, I keep thinking that my insurance company will use this work as an excuse to not payout in case there is an accident (even if my work is permitted and passed inspection). $500 is likely not worth the risk.

SteveJo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Job 1 Mach-e/X
Country flag
I would not attempt any wiring until you have your wall charger specs.
And to pre wire I would install 4 wire run. 2 hots 1 neutral 1 ground.

Wire Gauge Size60°C (140°F)
NM-B, UF-B
75°C (167°F)
THW, THWN,
SE, USE, XHHW
90°C (194°F)
THWN-2, THHN,
XHHW-2, USE-2

This chart shows 6 gauge NM-B having a max temp of 60C and amperage of 55. However, Southwire (Romex) sells a 6 gauge NM-B rated a 90C, ampacity = 75. Looks like not all NM-B is created equal., no?https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NPV814B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag

SteveJo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Job 1 Mach-e/X
Country flag

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Maybe this has been addressed somewhere else in this thread or another, so I apologized if it has already been addressed. Is it possible to convert existing 120v outlet(s) over to 240v 14-50 NEMA? Maybe by using the incoming wiring from two 120v outlets to get you the 240v or something along those lines? I have a detached garage and one company has noted that they would likely need to have trenching through the back yard done from our breaker panel to the garage for an installation of a 240v 14-50 NEMA outlet. I have no problem sacrificing a couple of existing outlets in the garage to make for a single 14-50 NEMA outlet to charge my Mach E if that is something that can be done by an electrician.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Maybe this has been addressed somewhere else in this thread or another, so I apologized if it has already been addressed. Is it possible to convert existing 120v outlet(s) over to 240v 14-50 NEMA? Maybe by using the incoming wiring from two 120v outlets to get you the 240v or something along those lines? I have a detached garage and one company has noted that they would likely need to have trenching through the back yard done from our breaker panel to the garage for an installation of a 240v 14-50 NEMA outlet. I have no problem sacrificing a couple of existing outlets in the garage to make for a single 14-50 NEMA outlet to charge my Mach E if that is something that can be done by an electrician.
No - that isn't possible. 50A circuit requires much larger wire (6AWG) than what your 15A-20A 120V circuits are using (14AWG-12AWG, remember smaller is bigger!).

Also note that your garage must already have a sub-panel since you have electricity to it. The trenching requirement is likely because you need a larger service to the garage from your main panel.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
So technically you can do it, but don't do it.

You would have to find two outlets on different phases, and wire them into a 14-50 outlet. Now you have a 240v 15a outlet, charging at a blazing 5-6 miles of range per hour. Plus, your local building inspector will have a problem with you, and any decent electrician will refuse to do that work anyway.

Having the electrician run a proper 50a, 240v outlet will get you about 22 miles of range per hour.

Mach Daddy

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Land Rover Discovery, F-150 Lightnin
Country flag
Installed mine today. The local utility (SnoPud) offered subsidized JuiceBox 40s and I went with the hard-wired version for $175 with tax. The plug-in would have required a GFCI breaker with the NEMA 14-50 plug, which would have added a good chunk more cost and an another GFCI to the charger. So total cost, <$200. I will rent a Leaf to test it out.

...now the wait for my GT Performance ?.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Preparing for Mach-E charging at home - preparation and installing charger A3022474-AC65-48EA-A26C-233C324C496D

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
No GFCI required by the NEC for 240V receptacles, ask your electrician to cite a code section, won't find it in the NEC but would not discount the possibility of local amendments.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
No GFCI required by the NEC for 240V receptacles, ask your electrician to cite a code section, won't find it in the NEC but would not discount the possibility of local amendments.
Not only that but the EVSE is basically a glorified GFCI circuit.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Installed mine today. The local utility (SnoPud) offered subsidized JuiceBox 40s and I went with the hard-wired version for $175 with tax. The plug-in would have required a GFCI breaker with the NEMA 14-50 plug, which would have added a good chunk more cost and an another GFCI to the charger. So total cost, <$200. I will rent a Leaf to test it out.

...now the wait for my GT Performance ?.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Preparing for Mach-E charging at home - preparation and installing charger A3022474-AC65-48EA-A26C-233C324C496D
awesome price! I could be wrong, but I thought I read something about not hooking these up to GCFI breakers. Again, I could be wrong.

Bookworm214

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Premium Mach-Ex
Occupation
Retired Truck Driver
Country flag
Does the JuiceBox 40 come with wiring instructions? I have a JuiceBox 48 coming and I'd like to confirm the supplies I'm buying to wire it myself.

Bookworm214

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Premium Mach-Ex
Occupation
Retired Truck Driver
Country flag
Are you an electrician? Balls of steel wiring it on your own :)
No but I'm thinking of running the conduit and wiring to save a little money and let the electrician make the final connections. Then again, I did do some wiring in my previous home and it didn't burn down................yet. :)
Sponsored