Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I'm starting this thread specifically to discuss questions/concerns/updates once we get the exciting email from Ford that our Vehicles shipped. I got my email TODAY with delivery estimated in 30 days or so, so very excited about that, and about to follow the links in the email to figure out:

- remote vehicle setup : what is it ? what can I do ? and *should* I ?!
Personally, I'd like to make sure the Dealer doesn't let anybody take my car out for a ride before I pick it up.... They didn't let us test drive, so why should I let them use MY car?!

- FordPass App : should I do it ahead of delivery ?
What are the real benefits/concerns with FordPass ? I don't plan on locating remote charge stations, so why would I want to deal with this ?

- owner website orientation : any worthwhile information there ?

- connect vehicle to FordPass app
Do I really want to enable 'connectivity' thru FordPass ?

- using your phone as a key : is this secure ? should we or can we set this up prior to delivery ?
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Remote vehicle setup: its pretty limited you set a couple of things (charge locations, drive mode, your profile thats about it)

Ford Pass app: yeah install it and log in

owner website: sure, or read the owner's manual (if you haven't already)

connect vehicle: you can't. You can press the activate but until someone in the car answers the prompt in the car it won't be fully conected. Thus just wait until you get it.

phone as key: should be secure some Lincoln's are using this already

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Top of list for being ready is to know how you'll be charging it (e.g. Do you have appropriate power in your garage or driveway and will you be getting a dedicated Level 2 charger for your car rather than relying on the included Ford Mobile Charger?)

Yes, you want the FordPass app. You don't necessarily *need* to set anything up ahead of delivery because ... well there isn't much you can do (other than enter your VIN so the car shows up). There is an "Activate" button but that requires someone in the car (normally you) to accept the pairing.

Once you have the app, this is how you can monitor and/or control the car (the app can do everything a key can do ... and can also remote-start the car which lets you pre-condition the car (warm it up in the winter or cool it down in the summer while it is still in your garage connected to the charger ... so it doesn't draw the batteries while you get the car ready to go).

Using the phone as a key is secure ... and it's actually how Ford expects you to use the car. The physical key-fob (and it's my understanding we only get ONE of those) can be used ... but my expectation is that it'll be used more as a valet-key.

You don't actually need *any* key since you can program the door-unlike code and key into the car, then program a vehicle start code and key that into the touch-screen inside the car ... and this will let you start & drive the car in the event that you lose or break your phone, etc. so you're never locked out (just don't forget your codes).

If you have an Apple Watch there is a watch extension for the Ford Pass app that will let you use your watch.

I run a server with HomeBridge (it lets you extend Apple HomeKit services to non-HomeKit devices) and there's a FordPass plug-in so I can do stuff like "Hey Siri, start my car". See: https://homebridge.io and search for the FordPass plugin.

Here is some content you should review: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...manuals-and-web-sites-for-mach-e-owners.1660/

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Remote vehicle setup: its pretty limited you set a couple of things (charge locations, drive mode, your profile thats about it)

Ford Pass app: yeah install it and log in

owner website: sure, or read the owner's manual (if you haven't already)

connect vehicle: you can't. You can press the activate but until someone in the car answers the prompt in the car it won't be fully conected. Thus just wait until you get it.

phone as key: should be secure some Lincoln's are using this already

yup.... about all you can do pre-delivery is download/install the app, set your drive mode, charge locations, and referred cabin environmental setting pre-startup

so..... next step is taking delivery and deciding between Ford Credit, or local bank if you are getting a loan.

Only info I could get from local Dealer so far is that Ford Credit is offering various loans between 3%-4% depending on term and credit score. I got much more specific info from my bank, which is a CU, that they will do 2.25% on 60mo loan if I set up monthly auto-xfer payment.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
one other thing I'd like to verify is exactly what charger comes with the car ?

is it a 40-amp x 240vAC (level-2) with a NEMA 14-50 plug, or something else ? I just want to verify if the included charger is 30, 40, or 50 amp.

reason I ask is that I need to add a 240vAC circuit in my garage, and I'm going to need it to be a generic NEMA 14-50 outlet so I can share it with my wife's car, which is a BMW PHEV

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
one other thing I'd like to verify is exactly what charger comes with the car ?

is it a 40-amp x 240vAC (level-2) with a NEMA 14-50 plug, or something else ? I just want to verify if the included charger is 30, 40, or 50 amp.

reason I ask is that I need to add a 240vAC circuit in my garage, and I'm going to need it to be a generic NEMA 14-50 outlet so I can share it with my wife's car, which is a BMW PHEV

found my own answer, page 154 owner's manual
looks like 32amps at 240vAC.... which means the electrical service circuit should be 40amp.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
The BMW and the MME both use the J1772 plug. The 14-50 plug on the other end doesn't really matter in terms of being able to share.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
yup.... about all you can do pre-delivery is download/install the app, set your drive mode, charge locations, and referred cabin environmental setting pre-startup

so..... next step is taking delivery and deciding between Ford Credit, or local bank if you are getting a loan.

Only info I could get from local Dealer so far is that Ford Credit is offering various loans between 3%-4% depending on term and credit score. I got much more specific info from my bank, which is a CU, that they will do 2.25% on 60mo loan if I set up monthly auto-xfer payment.
Ford Credit is offering as low as 0.9%. See the option vs finance threads for more.

Reactions: UW2
OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
The BMW and the MME both use the J1772 plug. The 14-50 plug on the other end doesn't really matter in terms of being able to share.
yes, I know they are both J1772, I was mostly just wanting to verify the size circuit breaker I need in the Service panel.... answer is 40amp

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Ford Credit is offering as low as 0.9%. See the option vs finance threads for more.
wow, Thats good to know! I'm going to be very curious to hear what my Dealer offers now that my car is en route and delivery ETA end of Feb....

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
yes, I know they are both J1772, I was mostly just wanting to verify the size circuit breaker I need in the Service panel.... answer is 40amp
Yeah I think that is fine...

Ford recommends a 50A circuit. Which is also fine, and maybe even better, since you're putting a 50A rated receptacle.

It's completely OK to plug the Ford mobile charger into a 50A circuit even though it draws significantly less current.

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Anyone else having trouble uploading photos for the profile picture on the remote setup website?
Sponsored