OP
OP

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
I didn't need to use my car since the first coat and it's been in the garage so a light wipe should be fine before applying the second coat. I did email Turtle Wax CS so let's see what they say if one needs more prep between coats. When you use the Gyeon ceramic, do you apply two coats?
Well, it's been almost a week and I haven't heard back from CS at Turtle Wax re prepping between coats of ceramic. Maybe one of these days I'll give them a call. But after the second coat of ceramic I did apply a coat of Xtreme Solutions Topper as recommended by @joebruin77 in other posts. It's impressive--amazing slickness and shine.
Sponsored

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Tesla Model 3 Perf, '22 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
after the second coat of ceramic I did apply a coat of Xtreme Solutions Topper as recommended by @joebruin77 in other posts. It's impressive--amazing slickness and shine.
Glad you liked using Xtreme Solutons Topper. Since I like using a drying aid after every wash, I tried over a dozen ceramic detailers and toppers on the market. Xtreme Solutions Topper is my absolute favorite as it checks all the boxes: 1) It feels super slick 2) It definitely pumps up the gloss and shine 3) It smells really nice and 4) It is a great value. You can buy a gallon of the stuff for $40.

Keep in mind that Topper is not a ceramic detailer. It does not contain any cleaning surfactants or agents. It is designed to bring back gloss, slickness, and hydrophobics but not to clean. If you want a ceramic detailer that can also be used for light cleaning between washes, then I recommend Technicians Choice Ceramic Detail Spray. Like Topper, it also adds slickness and gloss, and smells like pina colada.

Here are some video reviews of each product from Brian at Apex Detail, a respected Youtube car detailing "guru":

OP
OP

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Keep in mind that Topper is not a ceramic detailer. It does not contain any cleaning surfactants or agents. It is designed to bring back gloss, slickness, and hydrophobics but not to clean. If you want a ceramic detailer that can also be used for light cleaning between washes, then I recommend Technicians Choice Ceramic Detail Spray. Like Topper, it also adds slickness and gloss, and smells like pina colada.
Thanks Joe. How do you decide whether to use the Technician's Choice detail spray vs say a 16:1 dilution of ONR? I've been using the latter in between washes if the car isn't too dirty.

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks Joe. How do you decide whether to use the Technician's Choice detail spray vs say a 16:1 dilution of ONR? I've been using the latter in between washes if the car isn't too dirty.
The big advantage of ONR as a quick detailer over TEC CDS is cost per use. Because you dilute the ONR at the ratio of 16 ounces of water to 1 ounce of ONR, that means the cost per 16 ounce bottle of ONR detailer solution is approximately 35 cents per bottle.

By comparison, if you buy a $40 gallon bottle of TEC CDS and because it comes "Ready To Use" , it would cost approximately $5 per 16 ounces of detailer. But you should note that some people claim that they are able to dilute TEC CDS at a ration of 2 to 1 or even 3 to 1.

The main reason to use TEC CDS over ONR are the following:

1) I believe the TEC CDS adds more gloss and slickness than ONR.
2) ONR will clean but it does not contain any ceramic and does not leave any protection behind. TEC CDS does contain some ceramic and so, if your base protection has ceramic in it, it will provide a "boost" of ceramic to your base protection. You could theoretically use Technicians Choice CDS as your base protection, but you would need to reapply it pretty often (like every 6 to 8 weeks).

So if you only want to clean and you are not concerned about giving your ceramic coating or ceramic base protection a boost, then you can use ONR as a detailer. But if you want to not only clean but also boost your ceramic protection, add some gloss, and add some slickness (and you don't mind the higher cost), then go for the Technicians Choice Ceramic Detail Spray.

OP
OP

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The big advantage of ONR as a quick detailer over TEC CDS is cost per use. Because you dilute the ONR at the ratio of 16 ounces of water to 1 ounce of ONR, that means the cost per 16 ounce bottle of ONR detailer solution is approximately 35 cents per bottle.

By comparison, if you buy a $40 gallon bottle of TEC CDS and because it comes "Ready To Use" , it would cost approximately $5 per 16 ounces of detailer. But you should note that some people claim that they are able to dilute TEC CDS at a ration of 2 to 1 or even 3 to 1.

The main reason to use TEC CDS over ONR are the following:

1) I believe the TEC CDS adds more gloss and slickness than ONR.
2) ONR will clean but it does not contain any ceramic and does not leave any protection behind. TEC CDS does contain some ceramic and so, if your base protection has ceramic in it, it will provide a "boost" of ceramic to your base protection. You could theoretically use Technicians Choice CDS as your base protection, but you would need to reapply it pretty often (like every 6 to 8 weeks).

So if you only want to clean and you are not concerned about giving your ceramic coating or ceramic base protection a boost, then you can use ONR as a detailer. But if you want to not only clean but also boost your ceramic protection, add some gloss, and add some slickness (and you don't mind the higher cost), then go for the Technicians Choice Ceramic Detail Spray.
So if I'm reading you correctly, Tech Choice is an effective cleaner, albeit a pricier one than ONR but adds some gloss and slickness. Is it as good at cleaning as ONR? Just curious--if you are now using Tech Choice as a detailer, when are you using ONR?

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So if I'm reading you correctly, Tech Choice is an effective cleaner, albeit a pricier one than ONR but adds some gloss and slickness. Is it as good at cleaning as ONR? Just curious--if you are now using Tech Choice as a detailer, when are you using ONR?
TEC CDS cleans well. I don’t use ONR as a detailer so I can’t compare them directly on cleaning ability as a detailer.

I use ONR a lot but mainly for rinseless washes. It is the original rinseless wash and one of the best on the market.
Sponsored