Preventing Crusty Rotors

slimothyjames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
It's been really salty and wet on the roads around me lately. I noticed my rotors started getting really crusty/marked up with lines; it's bad enough to the point when I reverse out, they make noticeable noise.

Now the issue is, in my other cars when I haven't driven them in a while, I just drive them and ride my brake pedal to clean off the rotors. By the end of the drive the rotors are all shiny and clean again. No problem.

The problem is in the MME, I have only been able to get the actual brakes to engage in the last like 3-5 feet of braking. If I ride my brake, it is just regen braking. I have turned off 1PD, turned on Whisper mode, but still - I can't get the brakes to just engage by themselves. I understand we have a combined braking system, but does anyone have any suggestions? I also don't want to be slamming on my brakes repeatedly and giving myself whiplash haha.

The only option I have noticed that works is when in reverse, it does not regen brake, but I don't really want to be reversing around in a parking lot/street while riding my brakes 🤪
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Drive down a road (without someone behind you) and turn from D to N. Apply brakes gently, slowing but not stopping. Turn back to D, repeat. And again. You're all set! This may even work on your driveway if it's long enough.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
In my understanding (I'm a tinkerer not a metallurgy expert) the best common-use brake rotors are made from iron alloys. Iron has a really beneficial friction coefficient as a braking surface, especially as it heats up. Therefore, although pure stainless steel or chromed brake rotors would always look prettier, they would not be as effective at doing their primary job i.e. reliably braking the vehicle down.

To the OP's point: my Mach E brake rotors also turn rusty red if unused for a day and it is humid or just a wet day... and they do clean right up with even a short drive. Other than the red surface rust visual effect, there is no harm.

And this is of course with Mach E's regenerative braking present... maybe I brake slightly differently than you do. I learned my regen braking techniques on three generations of Priuses (Prii?) - not sure if that makes any difference.

OP
OP
slimothyjames

slimothyjames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
Drive down a road (without someone behind you) and turn from D to N. Apply brakes gently, slowing but not stopping. Turn back to D, repeat. And again. You're all set! This may even work on your driveway if it's long enough.
Didn't even think of this! I will give it a try later today!

In my understanding (I'm a tinkerer not a metallurgy expert) the best common-use brake rotors are made from iron alloys. Iron has a really beneficial friction coefficient as a braking surface, especially as it heats up. Therefore, although pure stainless steel or chromed brake rotors would always look prettier, they would not be as effective at doing their primary job i.e. reliably braking the vehicle down.

To the OP's point: my Mach E brake rotors also turn rusty red if unused for a day and it is humid or just a wet day... and they do clean right up with even a short drive. Other than the red surface rust visual effect, there is no harm.

And this is of course with Mach E's regenerative braking present... maybe I brake slightly differently than you do. I learned my regen braking techniques on three generations of Priuses (Prii?) - not sure if that makes any difference.
I don't have an issue with aesthetic (surface) rust, but it becomes an issue when the buildup gets so high that you can hear grinding of the buildup against the pads. Very crunchy sounding. The rotors' surface is no longer smooth and uniform, which can later cause uneven brake pad wear and warping.

MME_Adventurist

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select RWD Comfort & Tech Package
Country flag
Sometimes I will have a large clunk from the brake pads and the rotors being stuck together if I don't drive for a while. or if I cleaned my car and didn't drive for a day or two afterwards. But it usually cleans right up on my first drive. I also drive only in 1PD and rarely use the brakes. But if i notice that my rotors need some 'cleaning' I will use my brakes a couple times.

OP
OP
slimothyjames

slimothyjames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
Just went out for a drive. Can confirm that flipping it to Neutral while moving and applying the brakes does the trick!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just went out for a drive. Can confirm that flipping it to Neutral while moving and applying the brakes does the trick!
Yup. No regeneration.

PalsyWalsy

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus 400H, Lexus 300H, Buick Enclave, Mach E GT
Occupation
School Administration
Country flag
I do this one or twice a week to keep them clean. I drive on the highway to get to work, and when I hit my ramp, I throw it int N and use the breaks to stop. Then back to drive and on my merry way. Do it again in a few days keeps them clean all the time.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I do this one or twice a week to keep them clean. I drive on the highway to get to work, and when I hit my ramp, I throw it int N and use the breaks to stop. Then back to drive and on my merry way. Do it again in a few days keeps them clean all the time.
OMG! Don't do this. Never use breaks to stop, or you can break the car! Always use brakes to stop! ;) 🤣

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Yup. No regeneration.
The first couple of times I did the rust removal I used the panic stop method. While it works. The neutrals method is much easier on the car and driver.

PalsyWalsy

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
School Administration
Country flag
OMG! Don't do this. Never use breaks to stop, or you can break the car! Always use brakes to stop! ;) 🤣
But, but, but I needs my coffee! Breaks helps me clean my insides AND cleans the rotors.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
But, but, but I needs my coffee! Breaks helps me clean my insides AND cleans the rotors.
If you use your brakes while on a coffee break, you might end up with stains in your interior. 🤪🐩

PalsyWalsy

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
School Administration
Country flag
If you use your brakes while on a coffee break, you might end up with stains in your interior. 🤪🐩
The frunk is my "emergency" bucket. It does have a drain....
Sponsored