Nikos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Must GT, 21MME AWD, 22 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Country flag
Tesla has not released which Superchargers have the CCS receptacles. Most likely, California will get them first. It also depends how fast the funds will be available to initiate the mods. I read that the Giga factory in NY will make those receptacles. Only time will tell.

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GTPE; 2022 MME Premium ER
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Tesla has not released which Superchargers have the CCS receptacles. Most likely, California will get them first. It also depends how fast the funds will be available to initiate the mods. I read that the Giga factory in NY will make those receptacles. Only time will tell.
I'll bet when Tesla rolls out CCS plugs on their Superchargers, they modify less than half the units at each station. That way, there will always be a Supercharger available for Teslas that want to charge. I imagine their goal will be to never have a Tesla waiting on a non-Tesla to charge at a Supercharger...

Nikos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Country flag
I'll bet when Tesla rolls out CCS plugs on their Superchargers, they modify less than half the units at each station. That way, there will always be a Supercharger available for Teslas that want to charge. I imagine their goal will be to never have a Tesla waiting on a non-Tesla to charge at a Supercharger...
That will be reasonable. The rate will be 10% to 20% higher for non Tesla vehicles. During the period from Thanksgiving to New Year's, Tesla brings out Megapacks to the busiest Supercharging stations in California so they can accommodate more vehicles and reduce waiting times among Tesla owners. That's when you will see, Egos, strained nerves, unhappy people, intolerance and heated discussions and fights break out. Social media chum food to stream for everyone to watch and gloat. We all should be prepared for that scenario. Infrastructure that is not yet ready to accommodate every EV owner......YET.!!!!!

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Tesla built 330+ SC locations in North America in 2021... which is 1 per 1000 cars sold since 385K Ys and 3s were sold in the US.

https://supercharge.info/charts

Ford Mustang Mach-E Preview Look at Tesla Supercharger US Membership App Screen for Non-Tesla EV Owners 1661789366415

That's not enough chargers for Teslas let alone support non-Teslas.

EA built 175 locations in 2021 with 62 in CA and 113 locations outside of CA which is basically 2-3 per state PER YEAR!

"Opening 175 new ultra-fast charging stations with 731 individual chargers nationwide – a pace of 3.4 stations per week, and emerging as America’s first nationwide, nonproprietary, ultra-fast charging network"

https://media.electrifyamerica.com/...l/872-2021AnnualReportNationalPublicFINAL.pdf

NEVI funding needs to open the funding ASAP. I don't see Tesla opening up Superchargers given the crazy rise in EV sales (400K+ Model 3s and Ys are expected to be sold in the US this year) when they can't even support DC charging their own cars.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Why? Seems like Tesla has no problem filling up their chargers west of the Rockies. On the East Coast I still see mostly empty Superchargers outside of the major thoroughfares (95 corridor, etc.). Seems like their best bang for the buck would be to target the areas that EA future phases will get to.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Tesla built 330+ SC locations in North America in 2021... which is 1 per 1000 cars sold since 385K Ys and 3s were sold in the US.

https://supercharge.info/charts

Ford Mustang Mach-E Preview Look at Tesla Supercharger US Membership App Screen for Non-Tesla EV Owners 1661789366415

EA built 175 locations in 2021 with 62 in CA and 113 locations outside of CA which is basically 2-3 per state PER YEAR!

"Opening 175 new ultra-fast charging stations with 731 individual chargers nationwide – a pace of 3.4 stations per week, and emerging as America’s first nationwide, nonproprietary, ultra-fast charging network"

https://media.electrifyamerica.com/...l/872-2021AnnualReportNationalPublicFINAL.pdf

NEVI funding needs to open the funding ASAP. I don't see Tesla opening up Superchargers given the crazy rise in EV sales (400K+ Model 3s and Ys are expected to be sold in the US this year) when they can't even support DC charging their own cars.
I thought the entire reason they were doing this was to gobble up federal (NEVI) funding....

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I thought the entire reason they were doing this was to gobble up federal (NEVI) funding....
Yes they are.

But Tesla does not decide who gets NEVI funding. I read the Florida NEVI plan and it did not include Tesla anywhere (not even a vendor Florida spoke to - but Florida spoke to Rivian, ChargePoint, EVGo, EA, Shell, FPL, Duke, other utilities, etc. basically everybody except Tesla lol).

So... it's up to the states to decide how and where to build chargers. They could decide not to fund any Tesla CCS conversion/additions.

Nikos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Country flag
Yes they are.

But Tesla does not decide who gets NEVI funding. I read the Florida NEVI plan and it did not include Tesla anywhere (not even a vendor Florida spoke to - but Florida spoke to Rivian, ChargePoint, EVGo, EA, Shell, FPL, Duke, other utilities, etc. basically everybody except Tesla lol).

So... it's up to the states to decide how and where to build chargers. They could decide not to fund any Tesla CCS conversion/additions.
That is why you need to read every line item on this NEVI bill. You will see things that have nothing to do with EVs, charging infrastructure or how the funds are distributed and what States can or can't do. Some will be happy and not so happy. Another interpretation of saying, our elected officials bringing home the bacon.
The bill has passed and now it is up to us to find out the details. At the end not all of us will get what we wished for.

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GTPE; 2022 MME Premium ER
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
If you figure that most people charge their cars primarily at home, the picture starts to look a bit better.

In the two years I owned my Model 3, I charged it 60 percent at home and 40 percent on the road at Superchargers. The Tesla app keeps track of where you charge and provides those data.

Many people never go to a DC fast charger because they don't do road trips their in EVs but rather use their cars either around town or for relatively short commutes to work.

That said, I agree the funding for EV charging infrastructure authorized by the Inflation Reduction Act and previous legislation needs to be distributed to the states as a matter of priority.
Sponsored