First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E4X, HR-V, Insight, Maserati Levante S
Country flag
No idea really. 2-3 weeks?
For me the big question is if the MMEs are going to get full transport trucks all to themselves or if they are going to the rail hub and intermix with all the other Ford models. So, when a transport trucks takes vehicles to Denver CO......is it going to be loaded with F-150, Explorers and Mach Es or will it be just the Mach E's by them selves?

Normally, they intermix. But these are unique times....

However, we do know there are quite a few going to California and other major markets so it might make sense to load transport trucks with only the Mach E and segregate them from the other Ford models. If they do it that way then more Mach Es would reach their destinations much quicker than the normal shipping method.

It is highly likely the logistics team is exploring alternate shipping plans in order to deliver as many vehicles as quickly as possible. From an accounting perspective....getting these into the owners hands before the end of the year is a prime concern.
No truck transport available for vehicles at this time. They are being diverted to transport COVID vaccines. The massive hiring was for COVID, not our cars. Just a guess.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Is that your account snippet? Good info. Sent to plant on the 9th, body on the 11th produced on the 18th. About 10 Days to produce mid November.
Yes, that screen grab is from my unit. It's interesting to see the progression listed that way. It is a very grey area when we talk about total production time. Some people consider the body panel stamping process....some include the foundry work where engine blocks and cylinder heads are poured and then machined (for ICE vehicles of course). For the Mach E, we might want to consider the time to make the batteries or Borg Warner's time it takes to make the IDM.

The Full History Report that I posted of my car is really the Final Assembly process. There are sub-assemblies such as the IDM and seats that are made off site most likely. The frames might come from somewhere else also. I am told the batteries are assembled there at the plant as well as the panel stamping occurs there as well.

So, when the Mach E is "Sent to Plant". I think that means the panel stampings are welded together to make the body. Floors, firewall, doors, roof etc. Then it gets stacked or banked to wait for the Body Shop. They usually build up a supply of bodies that way the entire line doesn't have to stop if they have an issue such as a spot welder going down or a jig issue etc.

My dealer's demo vehicle waited in the body bank for about 9 days before it was sent to the paint shop. I think my car was banked for about 4 days. It varies. As they build more and more of these....the Trim and Chassis line are going to get more efficient and quicker. Then the Body and Paint departments are going to struggle to keep up. They might have to work longer hours or even add some shifts to balance the work.

In a normal process....the plant would be experiencing these issues about now and adjustments would be ongoing. However, the supply chain is still feeling the effects of the pandemic so parts supplies are not flowing as needed. I imagine it's very much a day to day thing at the plant. The workers are hoping they have all the parts they need for that day's shift.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
Yes, that screen grab is from my unit. It's interesting to see the progression listed that way. It is a very grey area when we talk about total production time. Some people consider the body panel stamping process....some include the foundry work where engine blocks and cylinder heads are poured and then machined (for ICE vehicles of course). For the Mach E, we might want to consider the time to make the batteries or Borg Warner's time it takes to make the IDM.

The Full History Report that I posted of my car is really the Final Assembly process. There are sub-assemblies such as the IDM and seats that are made off site most likely. The frames might come from somewhere else also. I am told the batteries are assembled there at the plant as well as the panel stamping occurs there as well.

So, when the Mach E is "Sent to Plant". I think that means the panel stampings are welded together to make the body. Floors, firewall, doors, roof etc. Then it gets stacked or banked to wait for the Body Shop. They usually build up a supply of bodies that way the entire line doesn't have to stop if they have an issue such as a spot welder going down or a jig issue etc.

My dealer's demo vehicle waited in the body bank for about 9 days before it was sent to the paint shop. I think my car was banked for about 4 days. It varies. As they build more and more of these....the Trim and Chassis line are going to get more efficient and quicker. Then the Body and Paint departments are going to struggle to keep up. They might have to work longer hours or even add some shifts to balance the work.

In a normal process....the plant would be experiencing these issues about now and adjustments would be ongoing. However, the supply chain is still feeling the effects of the pandemic so parts supplies are not flowing as needed. I imagine it's very much a day to day thing at the plant. The workers are hoping they have all the parts they need for that day's shift.
THANK YOU!!! Your post was VERY inciteful. It gives me a better understanding of how this all comes together.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
No truck transport available for vehicles at this time. They are being diverted to transport COVID vaccines. The massive hiring was for COVID, not our cars. Just a guess.
Not sure what you are referring to about the hiring. I haven't been in the loop on that development. I presume the vaccines need refrigerated trucks for transport. My wife works for UPS and I know they have been contacted to see if they have the capability to distribute so plans are being made but I don't know any specifics.

A few weeks ago, there were lots of transport truck drivers being called to Texas. Specifically El Paso, but I think that was cancelled or suspended. Because we have a fleet, we were asked if we had any drivers available for runs from Phoenix to El Paso but our fleet is private and not for hire. We are only a 'trucking company' just to get to the job site, then we park for the day and do our work. They are looking for over the road drivers and trucks and that isn't what we do so once I explained then I haven't been contacted any further.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
THANK YOU!!! Your post was VERY inciteful. It gives me a better understanding of how this all comes together.
You are welcome. It's actually amazing how much work and effort goes into making something like this. If you ever get an opportunity to take a plant tour it's something to behold. Probably the most amazing plant I have see is the Boeing facility. That was about 15 years ago or so......I still remember that trip like it was yesterday.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Clearly just a guess. The Pfizer vaccine requires -70°C freezers, Moderna -20°C. Neither of those classes of freezers can be carried on an auto transport trailer.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
That's me. :)

I don't have any insider info - just going off what I see here in the forums and on Twitter & Instagram. (I added the production numbers info after seeing it here.) We've also seen on here that OKTB should be coming any day now. And Ford people online (like Darren Palmer in the SEMA video) have repeatedly said they will do everything the can to start deliveries by the end of 2020. There may not be many, but I am sure a few will get delivered.

I figure my videos are just covering all the little bits of info covered here. But some people don't want to read thread after thread everyday and just want a summary of what's going on.

BTW... I think next up, I need to do a comparison video (or videos) of the Mach-E with the VW ID.4. I sorta covered the Model Y already in a previous video, but it might be time to do another.
I am one of those people who really appreciate the effort it takes to consolidate all the great information in this forum, and from other sources as well. I do spend time reading threads here, and I really enjoy reading the discussions, but the good and new Mach-E information gets buried in all the banter and discussion. The banter/discussion is great, because this is a community of people who are excited about the same thing, but it makes it hard to really know the latest status.

Thanks for doing it! Hopefully you can make some money off it!

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
You are welcome. It's actually amazing how much work and effort goes into making something like this. If you ever get an opportunity to take a plant tour it's something to behold. Probably the most amazing plant I have see is the Boeing facility. That was about 15 years ago or so......I still remember that trip like it was yesterday.
At one time I really wanted to buy a Corvette so that i could go to Bowling Green, Ky to pick up directly form the factory. obviously with Mexico you cannot but it would have been awesome to have the opportunity to go down there, take a tour of the plant and pick up your car somewhere this side of the border.