TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This also pushes potential customer reviews back a month again. Although with any luck, maybe a few special "expert" reviewers will get their hands on one to do some range/efficiency tests.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
That's more disappointing than thrilling to me. While demos are nice, if it's the choice between the first ones being demos or customer units being delivered a month sooner, I'd prefer the latter.

Now we're back where we were before we heard the "Sep 28 Job 1" date. My already slim odds of sneaking into 2020 are now probably non-existent.

Oh well, getting mine in 2020 (qualifying for an extra $1500 tax break) was probably a pipe dream anyway. But Sep 28 gave me a little hope.

Interesting that this totally contradicts that FCTP "July Wholesale" sheet again.
I agree it is odd that it contradicts that July Wholesale FCTP announcement. However, it may have been a matter of timing. One team may have sent that out while another team was determining these units would be moved up in the sequence.

However, I don't think this really changes the odds of getting your car in 2020. My v4 guesstimate included all of the 2000 FCTP units but the guess was they were behind the First Editions. Now it sounds like those 2000 plus other company units will be made in the first month before the 26 October job #1. It still makes Thanksgiving delivery of First Editions followed by December deliver of Premiums possible.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
That's more disappointing than thrilling to me. While demos are nice, if it's the choice between the first ones being demos or customer units being delivered a month sooner, I'd prefer the latter.

Now we're back where we were before we heard the "Sep 28 Job 1" date. My already slim odds of sneaking into 2020 are now probably non-existent.

Oh well, getting mine in 2020 (qualifying for an extra $1500 tax break) was probably a pipe dream anyway. But Sep 28 gave me a little hope.

Interesting that this totally contradicts that FCTP "July Wholesale" sheet again.
Look on the bright side:
  • Should quiet down the folks who complain they want a test drive before they order.
  • Being Job #2 allows tweaks to be made if there are any build issues

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Look on the bright side:
  • Should quiet down the folks who complain they want a test drive before they order.
Agreed!

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Look on the bright side:
The 1st bullet was going to be me. I was originally going to wait to order until after demos came out and I could actually sit in one. And I figured by then any kinks would be worked out. So I was anxious for demos then.

But I decided to go ahead and order anyway after the dealer assured me in writing that the deposit was fully refundable should there be a surprise I don't like upon seeing it in person. Not that I expect any. My few remaining concerns are seat height being high enough, and the glass roof being dark/filtered enough.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag

While it isn't the best news, its definitely not bad news imo. Under the October 26 original scenario we still had all the FCTP and other misc cars to be produced as well. Now those are out of the way. We shall see what happens in a month or so.

DiscWiz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escape, F250
Country flag
The 1st bullet was going to be me. I was originally going to wait to order until after demos came out and I could actually sit in one. And I figured by then any kinks would be worked out. So I was anxious for demos then.

But I decided to go ahead and order anyway after the dealer assured me in writing that the deposit was fully refundable should there be a surprise I don't like upon seeing it in person. Not that I expect any. My few remaining concerns are seat height being high enough, and the glass roof being dark/filtered enough.
Ditto

RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
This also pushes potential customer reviews back a month again. Although with any luck, maybe a few special "expert" reviewers will get their hands on one to do some range/efficiency tests.
I am not big on following auto media. With entertainment (video games, movies, books and even cellphones/electronics) media members get sent advanced copies with an embargo on reviews for a certain date. I guess making a big early splash is more important with those types of items, so you want a big media push for a certain day to build hype.

Do autos have a similar system? Is there a similar thread from the launch of the new Explorer in a similar forum, where they were estimating outputs and then they realized some big Youtuber had a test model for a week and put up a video before anyone else got to sit in them even?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I am not big on following auto media. With entertainment (video games, movies, books and even cellphones/electronics) media members get sent advanced copies with an embargo on reviews for a certain date. I guess making a big early splash is more important with those types of items, so you want a big media push for a certain day to build hype.

Do autos have a similar system? Is there a similar thread from the launch of the new Explorer in a similar forum, where they were estimating outputs and then they realized some big Youtuber had a test model for a week and put up a video before anyone else got to sit in them even?
Yes, similar system.

There are a limited number of "press pool" or dealer loaners in some cases, that are made available to professional automotive journalists. Some subset of journalists are offered test drive review opportunities that vary from part of a day to several weeks. They take turns using the same cars... Write up their posts, but can't publish until the embargo is lifted. This puts them on more equal footing.

Quality and biases vary widely. So I've found it useful to read/watch reviews of other cars I've considered or owned, to get a feel for which reviewers I prefer.

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3, Tahoe, Mustang Mach E Premium (on order)
Occupation
Communications/Marketing
Country flag
Yes, similar system.

There are a limited number of "press pool" or dealer loaners in some cases, that are made available to professional automotive journalists. Some subset of journalists are offered test drive review opportunities that vary from part of a day to several weeks. They take turns using the same cars... Write up their posts, but can't publish until the embargo is lifted. This puts them on more equal footing.

Quality and biases vary widely. So I've found it useful to read/watch reviews of other cars I've considered or owned, to get a feel for which reviewers I prefer.
One of the most important things they need to go is get this car in front of my of the Tesla influencers on YouTube - they will drive interest and legitimacy and street cred - I don't put much stock into many of the EV publications, as they are so far up Tesla's @ss that they wouldn't give the Mach E a fair shake...

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag

I echo your concerns. Even though I waited all this time for delivery (hopefully it'll be in December), if the test drive doesn't go well, or the car doesn't feel right, I'll have no issues with walking away. Yes, I'll be out the $500 deposit, but oh well. I still need to test drive the Model Y...just in case.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yep, like most things, it comes down to how much you trust the source. Edmunds has always been one of my favs. But nothing substitutes for a YouTuber that actually shows the screens while driving, at least for the mileage efficiency #'s.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
Yep, like most things, it comes down to how much you trust the source. Edmunds has always been one of my favs. But nothing substitutes for a YouTuber that actually shows the screens while driving, at least for the mileage efficiency #'s.
Or a member of Macheforum !!!!!
Sponsored