CaptainET

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Am I suppose to unlock charger using the button inside the charger door or just unplug the charger with release button on plug?
Sponsored

OP
OP

CaptainET

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Thanks, could not find answer in manual and it seems when i call support for anything, all they can do is look it up in owners manual

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
You only have to use the unlock button for DC fast charging.
You don't even "have" to do that. If you stop the session on the charger or via the charger's app, the Mach-E will unlock the connector and you can press and release just like with AC.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
You don't even "have" to do that. If you stop the session on the charger or via the charger's app, the Mach-E will unlock the connector and you can press and release just like with AC.
Right. The button is just a way to terminate the DCFC session from the car side. You can also terminate the session from the charger side. But the button doesn't do anything for level 2 charging.

OP
OP

CaptainET

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
strange that manual has picture of this button and describes what each light around it signifies in detail, but makes no mention of the unlock button or when to use it. Thanks for the answer.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
When using AC Level 1/2 charging, that connector is called "J1772". To release a J1772 connector, just depress the thumb release button and then pull the connector straight out. Depressing that button will stop a charging event (if there is one active at the time).

When DC Fast Charging, that connector is called "CCS" (Combo Charge System). Your car has a mechanical pin that locks that connector to your charge port so in order to remove the CCS connector, you have to stop the charging session. You can stop the session from the charge machine by using one of the stop buttons. You can also stop the charge via your app I believe. Last resort is you have that Stop button at the charge port.

You won't be able to remove the CCS connector until the car sends the signal to retract that pin. If that pin gets stuck for whatever reason.....then there is a manual release that you can access from the front compartment. Check your manual in the car and it will show you how to do that.

Since we are on the subject......your DCFC session won't start until that pin has locked in place. So, sometimes you have to support that connector so the pin will engage. After it's engaged then you can let go of the connector and begin the process of starting your charging session.

OP
OP

CaptainET

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Good info , too bad they don't put this info in manual for us that are new to EV

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
strange that manual has picture of this button and describes what each light around it signifies in detail, but makes no mention of the unlock button or when to use it. Thanks for the answer.
This is from the DC Charging section of the owners manual:

Ford Mustang Mach-E proper way to unplug charger 1614617331245

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Metallic RWD, standard range
Occupation
retired
Country flag
You only have to use the unlock button for DC fast charging.
Actually I think the manual specifies to press that button BEFORE removing the plug. Page 162 specifically says to press the button when stopping ac charging

charging.png

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Metallic RWD, standard range
Occupation
retired
Country flag
This is from the DC Charging section of the owners manual:

Ford Mustang Mach-E proper way to unplug charger chargi
It has similar wording to the above for stopping AC charging, it's page 162

Reactions: UW2

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Actually I think the manual specifies to press that button BEFORE removing the plug. Page 162 specifically says to press the button when stopping ac charging

charging.png
Actually No.
Step 1 above is talking about the release latch on the J1772 connector. That little thumb lever. NOT the button in the center of the charge ring. The illuminated button is only needed for DC Fast Charging.....and even then it's only necessary if the car doesn't unlock that pin automatically once your charging session has stopped.

Two different buttons.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, that’s referring to the latch, not the button. The latch is the thumb release on top of the plug.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Is there anything to prevent strangers from tampering with the charging process? I mean, people could also tamper with a gasoline fuel up, but for charging people often leave their cars unattended for 30mins or so and head into a store, etc.

Also, even if I don't have Ford Connected Services set up and I'm just using a credit card to pay for a DCFC, will my FordPass app tell me if charging gets disrupted?

Within about a week, I'm going to be flying out of state to pick up my new MME, and I'll be driving back home the same day, stopping at 3-4 EA DCFC stations along the way. So I need a detailed tutorial about what I should do to prepare, and what to expect.
Sponsored