Prospective Mach-E Buyer quick questions (I have Tesla/Bolt)

fbitz777

First Name
francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Bolt EV '17 Tesla X75D '14 '16 Ford Focus BeV
Country flag
I am a Bolt and tesla X owner and want feedback from existing Mach-E (will be taking an extending drive over weekend on Mach-E)

Does the Mach-E suffer from Vampire Drain overnight? I.e. you let it sit for extended time and when you come back you have less range.. My tesla loses 8-10miles a day and it's quite annoying; Bolt does not.

Any noticeable reduction in REGEN when it is cold (under one pedal driving mode) or does the Mach-E uses the real brakes to make up the lower REGEN in cold conditions? My tesla has zero Regen under 60F until the battery warms out. Quite a pain as I have to use the brakes manually.

I see people getting over 3 miles per KWH...sounds quite good (I only get that on Bolt when the weather is warm) Seems quite amazing if true.

Any battery preconditioning available (i.e. warm up) and when is it triggered.. (In Tesla it starts at 60F or below)

Thanks.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Some people have reported overnight drain. I have not experienced any at all.

I always use 1PD and as low as 22F I have not noticed any difference in regen braking. Warmest here has been 65F. In 125 miles of city driving, I have used the brake pedal exactly 2 times, both due to my poor anticipation of a stop sign (I waited to decelerate until it was too late)..

I am routinely seeing 3.1 - 3.7 M/KWH driving in town. I only have driven a total of 125 miles, so small sample size.

You are supposed to be able to precondition from the FordPass app and also by scheduling departure times. I have not tried that yet.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
I am a Bolt and tesla X owner and want feedback from existing Mach-E (will be taking an extending drive over weekend on Mach-E)

Does the Mach-E suffer from Vampire Drain overnight? I.e. you let it sit for extended time and when you come back you have less range.. My tesla loses 8-10miles a day and it's quite annoying; Bolt does not.

Any noticeable reduction in REGEN when it is cold (under one pedal driving mode) or does the Mach-E uses the real brakes to make up the lower REGEN in cold conditions? My tesla has zero Regen under 60F until the battery warms out. Quite a pain as I have to use the brakes manually.

I see people getting over 3 miles per KWH...sounds quite good (I only get that on Bolt when the weather is warm) Seems quite amazing if true.

Any battery preconditioning available (i.e. warm up) and when is it triggered.. (In Tesla it starts at 60F or below)

Thanks.
Drain... all BEVs will have some drain, if to only keep the 12v battery charged.

Regen shouldn't noticeable change with temperature. I'm sure folks in the cold climates will chime in on this. Braking is blended, i.e. the brake pedal uses regen up to the limit, then switches to mechanical brakes automatically.

Battery prep is likely pending an OTA.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag

Thanks.
Location Location Location, all matters for the KWH as well as how one drives. My MME has sat for days at times since ownership, no drain at all.

I think its going to be hard to calculate REGEN with the MACH-E, others might be able to help there.

Hope it goes well and welcome to the family if you happen to purchase.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Drain on mine is usually almost nothing but one night I lost 3-4 miles...it also depends if the outside temp changes.

Fords 1 pedal drive is pretty good and they leave such a large buffer of battery that even if it is "fully charged" it will still allow you to regen. I do not believe it uses the regular brakes.

The battery will only condition if plugged into the wall. I do not know what temperatures it does but it will do it. It conditions more if you set a time you want to leave. In the future it will pre-condition if you put a supercharger in the nav. If you leave it outside at 0Âş all night the battery will be cold and you will be limited in power (and probably Regen) until the heaters warm it up or it warms up naturally from driving.

I'm able to get over 3kWh/mi if I leave the heat off. Heat on its 2.2-2.7 depending on speed and outside temp. Now that it has gotten warm here if I stay off the interstate I can get 3.5kWh/mi easily in some situations.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Drain... all BEVs will have some drain, if to only keep the 12v battery charged.

Regen shouldn't noticeable change with temperature. I'm sure folks in the cold climates will chime in on this. Braking is blended, i.e. the brake pedal uses regen up to the limit, then switches to mechanical brakes automatically.

Battery prep is likely pending an OTA.
From 42° to 70° so far and can't tell a difference in regen. Although I try to get 100% on brake coach but used to that with the Prius and Camry Hybrids.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Drain on mine is usually almost nothing but one night I lost 3-4 miles...it also depends if the outside temp changes.

Fords 1 pedal drive is pretty good and they leave such a large buffer of battery that even if it is "fully charged" it will still allow you to regen. I do not believe it uses the regular brakes.

The battery will only condition if plugged into the wall. I do not know what temperatures it does but it will do it. It conditions more if you set a time you want to leave. In the future it will pre-condition if you put a supercharger in the nav. If you leave it outside at 0Âş all night the battery will be cold and you will be limited in power (and probably Regen) until the heaters warm it up or it warms up naturally from driving.

I'm able to get over 3kWh/mi if I leave the heat off. Heat on its 2.2-2.7 depending on speed and outside temp. Now that it has gotten warm here if I stay off the interstate I can get 3.5kWh/mi easily in some situations.
1-P does use the brakes to bring the car to a stop. It will even engage the ABS if on a slippery surface--have had that happen several times now this winter.

Preconditioning: You can either remote start it via the app (doesn't need to be plugged in for this) or you can schedule departure times that will precondition the car (does need to be plugged in).

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
My tesla loses 8-10miles a day and it's quite annoying; Bolt does not.
This is *not* normal and you need to contact Tesla support to try to figure out what is going on, if you intend on keeping your Tesla

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
1-P does use the brakes to bring the car to a stop. It will even engage the ABS if on a slippery surface--have had that happen several times now this winter.

Preconditioning: You can either remote start it via the app (doesn't need to be plugged in for this) or you can schedule departure times that will precondition the car (does need to be plugged in).
I took the preconditioning more as the battery itself not specifically the cabin. It takes a while to heat the battery so remote starting won't really do much. I'll have to test that while watching HVB temp and see how fast it rises. I bet it's slow.

As to 1 pedal - I'm sure it does use the real brakes, but likely only at very low speeds (sub 5mph). Though I could be wrong. If it locks the wheels during regen it will switch to physical brakes and engage abs if necessary.

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
No drain overnight or over a few days even without being plugged in (I’ve only plugged in to charge and then unplug, since I park outside). Historical average with mostly highway miles is 3.5mi/kWh, but in fair weather, from 50s-60s.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
In Los Angeles, I have not experienced any battery drain overnight. The coldest it's been here in the few weeks I have had the Mach-E has been high 40s, though most nights it has remained in the low 50s.

I also have the standard range battery where any percentage drain should be a bit more apparent if it was happening at these temperatures than with the extended range battery.

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
If unplugged, yes, it appears to. I did an overnight (outdoor) unplugged test in cold weather and while the car reported it was still at 100%, the predicted range had decreased. Though that may have just been due to having a now-cold battery. If in the garage, unplugged, I haven’t noticed any decrease in range.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...-range-loss-due-to-cold-yet.3698/#post-116627

Good question, the car doesn’t give good feedback about when it’s using regen, I’m just doing one pedal driving and I guess assuming it’s regen! One pedal driving seems to work the same at all temps, down to the 20F or so mine has spent lots of time at.

I was averaging 2.9-3.0 mi/kWh on rural Colorado roads and mounting passes in the cold...I think getting over 3 in more benign conditions is very realistic.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Every BEV has some vampire drain, but what you're describing on the Tesla sounds like some module is preventing the car from going to sleep - it's way above what I've heard of from a Tesla.

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Every BEV has some vampire drain, but what you're describing on the Tesla sounds like some module is preventing the car from going to sleep - it's way above what I've heard of from a Tesla.
With Tesla- some owners have Sentry mode enabled and if in an area where there is activity, ie parked outside, it may activate often and drain the battery.
Sponsored