First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I guess what I'm personally wondering is if there's a way to redeliver the keys without going through the trouble of removing and resetting PaaK before adding it again.
Maybe he will be so kind as to give us a more detailed answer. My guess would be however that the PaaK setup process passes this keypair to the car and for security purposes wouldn't allow the key to be re-issued afterward.
I've been assuming that all I need to do is sign out of FordPass and sign back in.

I was hoping @dsuyang was going to use terms we understand as users instead of "redeliver," so that none of us have to make assumptions about how to access our vehicles.

Anyhoo, I'll give it a try in a little bit and let you know.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I've been assuming that all I need to do is sign out of FordPass and sign back in.

I was hoping @dsuyang was going to use terms we understand as users instead of "redeliver," so that none of us have to make assumptions about how to access our vehicles.

Anyhoo, I'll give it a try in a little bit and let you know.
I don't think that would redeliver a key, but worth a shot. I trust that you will let us know. Happy Thanksgiving.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I went to the Playstore and updated FordPass and in a stroke of irony....PaaK worked when I went out to my car. Not immediately of course. After a short pause and second press of the button the door opened and it let me start the car.

So I was unable to test the backup start code. :(

Will try again later.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I don't think that would redeliver a key, but worth a shot. I trust that you will let us know. Happy Thanksgiving.
It made no difference. Android 12 with latest updates on Google Pixel 6, T-Mobile...

I need to try again while I'm sitting in the car with the car on, though.

And for @DevSecOps, since it's Thanksgiving, a time to embrace Jason: ?

Code:
{
  "tl-dr": [ "No difference.", "PaaK still ain't working." ],
  "hypothesis":
  [
    "A dumb error like an off-by-one in FP 3.35.0 causes FP to attempt wrong key from key list.",
    "It might have worked if I were actually sitting in the car with it turned on.",
    "As is, I probably made it worse. Don't try this at home."
  ]
  "txct-log":
  [
    "Open FordPass.",
    "Stand by passenger door pushing door open button to no avail.",
    "Wait. Repeat. Still nothing.",
    "Log out of FordPass app. App confirms that PaaK won't work until I sign back in.",
    "Log back in. PaaK is still configured but it skips the 'download' step so it still doesn't work.",
    "Log out. Force stop. Clear app storage (all of it.)",
    "Log back in. Offered to setup PaaK.",
    "Set up PaaK. It times out at various steps because Ford's servers are bad, too.",
    "Keep trying. It shows that a key with that name already exists. Must change name.,"
    "Try different key name... It shows a temporary Bluetooth connection code to copy and paste.",
    "It says it worked! I got a FordPass notification about it.",
    "In reality it does not work. I never completed the pairing because it never popped up.",
    "PaaK is not running in the background.",
    "I give up and eat breakfast. ?"
  ]
}

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I went to the Playstore and updated FordPass and in a stroke of irony....PaaK worked when I went out to my car. Not immediately of course. After a short pause and second press of the button the door opened and it let me start the car.

So I was unable to test the backup start code. :(

Will try again later.
Backup start code is completely independent of your phone being nearby. So you could leave the phone a good distance away, or turn it off, to test BSC.

BTW, BSC is working fine for me. I think maybe @DevSecOps hit a bad case where defects in two mostly unrelated things (FP app and SYNC 4A) hit him at the same time.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Backup start code is completely independent of your phone being nearby. So you could leave the phone a good distance away, or turn it off, to test BSC.

BTW, BSC is working fine for me. I think maybe @DevSecOps hit a bad case where defects in two mostly unrelated things (FP app and SYNC 4A) hit him at the same time.
Oh okay. I was thinking the FP update in Android causes PaaK and the BSC to fail. So when PaaK didn't break....I didn't bother to try the BSC (by walking away and returning without FaaK or PaaK).

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
It made no difference. Android 12 with latest updates on Google Pixel 6, T-Mobile...

I need to try again while I'm sitting in the car with the car on, though.

And for @DevSecOps, since it's Thanksgiving, a time to embrace Jason: ?

Code:
{
  "tl-dr": [ "No difference.", "PaaK still ain't working." ],
  "hypothesis":
  [
    "A dumb error like an off-by-one in FP 3.35.0 causes FP to attempt wrong key from key list.",
    "It might have worked if I were actually sitting in the car with it turned on.",
    "As is, I probably made it worse. Don't try this at home."
  ]
  "txct-log":
  [
    "Open FordPass.",
    "Stand by passenger door pushing door open button to no avail.",
    "Wait. Repeat. Still nothing.",
    "Log out of FordPass app. App confirms that PaaK won't work until I sign back in.",
    "Log back in. PaaK is still configured but it skips the 'download' step so it still doesn't work.",
    "Log out. Force stop. Clear app storage (all of it.)",
    "Log back in. Offered to setup PaaK.",
    "Set up PaaK. It times out at various steps because Ford's servers are bad, too.",
    "Keep trying. It shows that a key with that name already exists. Must change name.,"
    "Try different key name... It shows a temporary Bluetooth connection code to copy and paste.",
    "It says it worked! I got a FordPass notification about it.",
    "In reality it does not work. I never completed the pairing because it never popped up.",
    "PaaK is not running in the background.",
    "I give up and eat breakfast. ?"
  ]
}
Alrighty, I gave it a retry the correct way (while sitting in the vehicle) and I got PaaK working successfully again. I did not have the key fob on me... I used my backup start code to turn the vehicle on and THEN I needed to delete my one and only remaining key (the key that used to work before FP 3.35.0). I don't recommend doing what I just did. Always have your key fob with you if you do this.

Essentially, you have to do what @DevSecOps suggested -- delete your existing PaaK in FordPass and recreate it. But, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE YOUR KEY FOB IN HAND!

Once you've deleted your (previously working) PaaK, your backup start code and door code are also deleted. So you'll then do the following:

1. Setup Phone-as-a-Key from the FordPass app on your phone, while sitting in the vehicle with the vehicle ON.

2. Turn off the car and step out and close the doors.

3. Get back in the car and turn it on. The vehicle prompts you to setup a backup start code. Do that.

4. After you've set up your backup start code, the vehicle prompts you to set a door code. Do that.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend anyone to do any of the above... Just use your key fob and keep waiting on FordPass for a fix.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
Another experiment:

Installed FP on my wife's phone.
Added that phone as PaaK and set up a new emergency BSC.
Put the phone in airplane mode and uninstall FP.
Went to the car and started it with the emergency BSC.
My phone still shows 2 PaaK devices.

It doesn't solve the problem where BSC screen is not showing up.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
The battery draining issue seems to have stopped. I think maybe after the update it was trying to reach my car, and could not, so it kept trying. When I tested PaaK this morning it connected and worked so maybe that satisfied FordPass.

I just tested PaaK again and it worked with no issues unlocking or starting the car. I am wondering if this problem is related to people who first set up PaaK using earlier FordPass versions than I did? I have had my car a little over three weeks. I did not set up PaaK right away, so probably I have had it set up for a little less than three weeks, maybe close to two weeks.

Could it be that mine continues to work because the key was created using a newer version of FordPass? I wish I knew which version was installed when I first set up PaaK, so I could share that with the group.

I hope the 3.35.1 patch doesn't screw up phones that are working. I guess I should turn off automatic updates as recommended @dsuyang?

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Happy Thanksgiving to you as well. I'm visiting my dad today in beautiful Lake Tahoe. He has quite a few toys that are a bit more fun than my MachE that I'll be going fast in ?
Is that a 10 foot ceiling in his garage? I am getting ready to build another garage and would like to be able to lift a car up like that. Just curious how high the ceiling is. Right now the garage drawings show a 10 foot ceiling.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Alrighty, I gave it a retry the correct way (while sitting in the vehicle) and I got PaaK working successfully again. I did not have the key fob on me... I used my backup start code to turn the vehicle on and THEN I needed to delete my one and only remaining key (the key that used to work before FP 3.35.0). I don't recommend doing what I just did. Always have your key fob with you if you do this.

Essentially, you have to do what @DevSecOps suggested -- delete your existing PaaK in FordPass and recreate it. But, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE YOUR KEY FOB IN HAND!

Once you've deleted your (previously working) PaaK, your backup start code and door code are also deleted. So you'll then do the following:

1. Setup Phone-as-a-Key from the FordPass app on your phone, while sitting in the vehicle with the vehicle ON.

2. Turn off the car and step out and close the doors.

3. Get back in the car and turn it on. The vehicle prompts you to setup a backup start code. Do that.

4. After you've set up your backup start code, the vehicle prompts you to set a door code. Do that.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend anyone to do any of the above... Just use your key fob and keep waiting on FordPass for a fix.
Same. Thanks @DevSecOps -- removing and adding PaaK again and it's working once again.
And since you mentioned it, I looked carefully for that important "Downloading Key" step... Just because I was curious.

Ford Mustang Mach-E PSA - DO NOT UPDATE to 3.35.0 on Android if using PaaK without a FOB Screenshot_20211125-123131

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The battery draining issue seems to have stopped. I think maybe after the update it was trying to reach my car, and could not, so it kept trying. When I tested PaaK this morning it connected and worked so maybe that satisfied FordPass.

I just tested PaaK again and it worked with no issues unlocking or starting the car. I am wondering if this problem is related to people who first set up PaaK using earlier FordPass versions than I did? I have had my car a little over three weeks. I did not set up PaaK right away, so probably I have had it set up for a little less than three weeks, maybe close to two weeks.

Could it be that mine continues to work because the key was created using a newer version of FordPass? I wish I knew which version was installed when I first set up PaaK, so I could share that with the group.

I hope the 3.35.1 patch doesn't screw up phones that are working. I guess I should turn off automatic updates as recommended @dsuyang?
I don't think so. I set up PaaK on my S10 back in March or April I think. Then updated FP this morning and no new issues. PaaK performs the same for me as best as I can tell. (I am not a regular PaaK user. I only enabled it so I could set a backup start code)

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Is that a 10 foot ceiling in his garage? I am getting ready to build another garage and would like to be able to lift a car up like that. Just curious how high the ceiling is. Right now the garage drawings show a 10 foot ceiling.
They are 12' and with a low profile car there's not a lot of room to spare.

Ford Mustang Mach-E PSA - DO NOT UPDATE to 3.35.0 on Android if using PaaK without a FOB PXL_20211125_181339621

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
@dsuyang I worked and I currently work for major software companies.
All of them have code and release freezes during holidays because they know that engineers won't be around to fix bugs.
I suggest that you adopt that strategy as well. A release during Thanksgiving week can only bring headaches. Same for the week around Christmas and NYE.

It is good not only for the client experience but you and your team would be able to enjoy the holidays with less distructions.
Happy Thanksgiving!

dsuyang

First Name
Suyang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
@dsuyang I worked and I currently work for major software companies.
All of them have code and release freezes during holidays because they know that engineers won't be around to fix bugs.
I suggest that you adopt that strategy as well. A release during Thanksgiving week can only bring headaches. Same for the week around Christmas and NYE.

It is good not only for the client experience but you and your team would be able to enjoy the holidays with less distructions.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Oh yeah,absolutely. Me and the anchor trouble shooting this issue talked about how we get ahead of ourselves...
Sponsored