Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
Well this was terrifying. I cleared my driveway of the little snow we got last night, then pulled my car out of the garage to re-arrange the snowblower and lawn mower. The car alarm going off got my attention as my car slid down the driveway. The rear wheels were not spinning, just sliding. The front wheels were free spinning though.

Before anyone comments the obvious, yes I know I would not have been able to stop the car by hand, but in the moment instinct was to at least try.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Man, you might need some better tires on that thing. 😮
Yeah I don’t know if that would have made a difference. The snow was just packed down in that area so it was basically ice I guess. Short of studded tires I don’t know if any other type of tire would have faired better.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Yeah I don’t know if that would have made a difference. The snow was just packed down in that area so it was basically ice I guess. Short of studded tires I don’t know if any other type of tire would have faired better.
Snow tires will drag more due to all the sipes bending over and grabbing. They do better on slush/ice like that. Otherwise you probably want to salt or grit those ice tracks. I always try to snowblow before driving on it whenever possible so the snow doesn’t get packed down.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Years ago we had a very steep short driveway at a rental condo we lived in. Awoke one morning to find our car in the street. Ran out and fell on my butt. Ice everywhere, built up under the tires and it simply slid away. Doesn't matter if brake is set, all 4 wheels are locked, ice is ice, and gravity wins.

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Years ago we had a very steep short driveway at a rental condo we lived in. Awoke one morning to find our car in the street. Ran out and fell on my butt. Ice everywhere, built up under the tires and it simply slid away. Doesn't matter if brake is set, all 4 wheels are locked, ice is ice, and gravity wins.
I’ve had other cars slide a little over time in this driveway, but this was the first time it slid far, fast.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Well this was terrifying. I cleared my driveway of the little snow we got last night, then pulled my car out of the garage to re-arrange the snowblower and lawn mower. The car alarm going off got my attention as my car slid down the driveway. The rear wheels were not spinning, just sliding. The front wheels were free spinning though.
YIKES!

When I lived in Chicago area, I used to have a small sandbag (made from a section of an innertube) in the car I could take out and 'chock' a wheel on a steep driveway during ice storms, and/or open in emergency to spread the sand when needed.
Sponsored