Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
This is just a quick PSA that I meant to write up a few months back and forgot about.

TLDR: If you have a balance on your BlueOval Charge account that's unpaid, even with a valid credit card, P&C will fail to initialize on future charging. Make sure you manually go on the Ford website and pay the balance to resume normal P&C operation.

Here's what happened:
  • I had a credit card, which I used for Ford Plug and Charge, expire. I forgot to go onto the Ford website to add the new card and set it as default.
  • I went to a station and used P&C and it went through just fine.
  • Little did I know that the expired card wasn't charged.
  • Future attempts at P&C resulted in "Payment Declined"
  • I remembered that my card was replaced so later that day I updated my payment method on the website.
  • I continued to receive the "Payment Declined" error due to the fact that you have to manually pay the balance, not just add the new card.
  • I had to go on the Ford website, managed services and manually pay the $15 balance I had in order to "re-enable" plug and charge.
What I would expect Ford to do:

Send me an email and tell me to pay my bill or figure out that when I add a new card you should charge what I owe.

Why it's a PITA:

Since my previous charge went through just fine and I wasn't advised of any balance outstanding I assumed it would work at the next station. Fiddling with the station and having to disable P&C in order to get the car to charge with the EA app took some time. When I attempted to charge while P&C was still enabled it always failed to charge using the EA app. I could have probably enabled charging first in the app before plugging in and that would have worked, but since I was confused about why it wasn't working, it didn't dawn on me. I actually went to 3 different stations at first thinking there was a communications failure.

So don't be like me, make sure that you update your credit card on the Ford website if it expires AND click on the pay balance button! Updating your card isn't good enough because P&C is "suspended" while you have a balance.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
I was having this issue as well except my credit card on file was valid. No idea why it wasn't working, I called Electrify Canada and they said it was a Ford issue. I ended up just paying from the Electrify Canada app directly instead of using Plug&Charge.

I don't fast charge very often so I didn't bother trying to fix it.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I was having this issue as well except my credit card on file was valid. No idea why it wasn't working, I called Electrify Canada and they said it was a Ford issue. I ended up just paying from the Electrify Canada app directly instead of using Plug&Charge.

I don't fast charge very often so I didn't bother trying to fix it.
I don't believe that they had the balance due as an visible option on the website previously. So you might want to check to see if your account shows there's a balance. I think that was something they added towards the beginning of the year. So for some people it was a behind the scenes failure that they didn't know what happening.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Plug and Charge hasn't been working for me but I have a valid credit card on file with Ford. I have to activate the EA charger through FordPass to make use of my free kWh. Weird, not sure what's going on.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Plug and Charge hasn't been working for me but I have a valid credit card on file with Ford. I have to activate the EA charger through FordPass to make use of my free kWh. Weird, not sure what's going on.
Even if you have a valid card make sure to check the Ford website for a balance and that it's activated and not suspended. My first mistake was an expired card. But then even after I resolved that I had to manually pay to re-enable the service.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Even if you have a valid card make sure to check the Ford website for a balance and that it's activated and not suspended. My first mistake was an expired card. But then even after I resolved that I had to manually pay to re-enable the service.
Not seeing any option to pay any outstanding balance. Under "Connected Services" it shows I'm enrolled in the Blue Oval network and have 175kWh remaining, all seems ok.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
This is just a quick PSA that I meant to write up a few months back and forgot about.

TLDR: If you have a balance on your BlueOval Charge account that's unpaid, even with a valid credit card, P&C will fail to initialize on future charging. Make sure you manually go on the Ford website and pay the balance to resume normal P&C operation.

Here's what happened:
  • I had a credit card, which I used for Ford Plug and Charge, expire. I forgot to go onto the Ford website to add the new card and set it as default.
  • I went to a station and used P&C and it went through just fine.
  • Little did I know that the expired card wasn't charged.
  • Future attempts at P&C resulted in "Payment Declined"
  • Later that day I updated my payment method on the website
  • I continued to receive the "Payment Declined" error due to the fact that you have to manually pay the balance, not just add the new card.
  • I had to go on the Ford website, managed services and manually pay the $15 balance I had in order to "re-enable" plug and charge.
What I would expect Ford to do:

Send me an email and tell me to pay my bill. Which they didn't.

Why it's a PITA:

Since my previous charge went through just fine and I wasn't advised of any balance outstanding I assumed it would work at the next station. Fiddling with the station and having to disable P&C in order to get the car to charge with the EA app took some time. When I attempted to charge while P&C was still enabled it always failed to charge using the EA app. I could have probably enabled charging first in the app before plugging in and that would have worked, but since I was confused about why it wasn't working, it didn't dawn on me. I actually went to 3 different stations at first thinking there was a communications failure.

So don't be like me, make sure that you update your credit card on the Ford website if it expires AND click on the pay balance button! Updating your card isn't good enough because P&C is "suspended" while you have a balance.
You got sent to Ford debtors prison! You're lucky, you almost got a 5 second lashing from Jim Farley before he got tired.
Sponsored