Purchase Commitment

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Hi All,

So I know the reservation deposit doesn’t guarantee us anything. If I’m reading correctly, an online build configurater will open in 2020. From there we make our final selection and work out pricing with our preferred dealer. At what point are you 100% committed to the purchase? If I go through everything with the dealer, the vehicle arrives and I don’t like it for some reason, am I obligated to take it?
Sponsored

JYC78

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3, RX350
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
It should work the same way as any other custom ordered vehicle. You can refuse delivery when it comes in. You're 100% committed to purchase only when you sign finance/lease papers.

OP
OP

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
It should work the same way as any other custom ordered vehicle. You can refuse delivery when it comes in. You're 100% committed to purchase only when you sign finance/lease papers.
Thanks. I don’t have any experience with a custom vehicle order. One of the videos I was watching was talking about being locked in to a purchase contract before the vehicle was even released.

EyeOnMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X. Prev: Restored a 67 Mustang convertible
Country flag
If delivery is refused would the $500 deposit still be refundable or would it be forfeited?

OP
OP

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
If delivery is refused would the $500 deposit still be refundable or would it be forfeited?
I don’t think the $500 will even be in play then. Ford’s website says the deposit is refunded to you when you enter into a purchase agreement with your dealer. I think it’s because our $500 is going to Ford directly and we are technically buying the vehicle from the dealer (if I’m understanding the reservation FAQs correctly).

EyeOnMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X. Prev: Restored a 67 Mustang convertible
Country flag
I don’t think the $500 will even be in play then. Ford’s website says the deposit is refunded to you when you enter into a purchase agreement with your dealer. I think it’s because our $500 is going to Ford directly and we are technically buying the vehicle from the dealer (if I’m understanding the reservation FAQs correctly).
Thanks, but yes I'm aware of that distinction. Unfortunately it does not address how, if at all, you get your deposit back if you end up refusing delivery. In other words, when signing the purchase agreement it will presumably trigger the return of your $500 deposit. However, what process/event, if any, triggers the return of your deposit if you don't take delivery?

Like you I do not have any experience with custom orders with Ford so the purchasing steps / process / timeline is not clear to me. Does one sign a purchase agreement long before the actual delivery (assuming the car is not on the lot) or does signing the purchase agreement only take place when taking delivery is possible? Does that make sense? May need to call or drop in at my local Ford dealer and have a chat assuming they even know.

Last edited:

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Standard Range, Chevrolet Bolt EV, Fiat 500E
Occupation
IT Architect
Country flag
I've read and re-read the reservation thing a few times trying to figure out if there is still a window for the dealer to screw you with ADM.

Bad news, is there is. Its hidden, if you click the little tiny I after Reserve the print reads:

"By completing the Reservation Process, you are not ordering or purchasing a vehicle. Participation in the Program does not guarantee you vehicle delivery. Your Reservation does not guarantee a set price for the Vehicle. "

So I have no idea what this $500 did other than put you in line. I don't know if you just get it back.

Sometime mid 2020 This is supposed to happen:

Verify that all the information and pricing from your dealer is correct, make any edits to your vehicle configuration you'd like, and confirm your order.

(as an aside, So at that point, if the dealer tacks on anything, I'm out, and I'm NEVER BUY FORD AGAIN angry out personally, and I'll set up automated stuff to use twitter to point that out for a few months to all ford social media naming and shaming the dealer who cost them the money.)

The last step:

Complete your purchase by adding a method of payment, trade-in vehicle, accessories, and more. Then, take home your brand new Mustang Mach-E.

OP
OP

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I've read and re-read the reservation thing a few times trying to figure out if there is still a window for the dealer to screw you with ADM.

Bad news, is there is. Its hidden, if you click the little tiny I after Reserve the print reads:

"By completing the Reservation Process, you are not ordering or purchasing a vehicle. Participation in the Program does not guarantee you vehicle delivery. Your Reservation does not guarantee a set price for the Vehicle. "

So I have no idea what this $500 did other than put you in line. I don't know if you just get it back.

Sometime mid 2020 This is supposed to happen:

Verify that all the information and pricing from your dealer is correct, make any edits to your vehicle configuration you'd like, and confirm your order.

(as an aside, So at that point, if the dealer tacks on anything, I'm out, and I'm NEVER BUY FORD AGAIN angry out personally, and I'll set up automated stuff to use twitter to point that out for a few months to all ford social media naming and shaming the dealer who cost them the money.)

The last step:

Complete your purchase by adding a method of payment, trade-in vehicle, accessories, and more. Then, take home your brand new Mustang Mach-E.
yep. That’s why I emailed all my local dealers to find one that would commit to no ADM, and reserved with them.

Badgeringweasel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camry Hybrid
Country flag
I spoke with someone from Ford using the number on ford.com. They were really nice and knowledgeable. They said that after your reservation, you should get contacted by the dealer in spring 2020 to get the final configuration and price. Then, you'll finalize with the dealer and make a nonrefundable deposit with the dealer. Whether you make the deposit with the dealer or cancel your order, you'll get the $500 back.

The woman I spoke with confirmed that you'll likely be making a deposit before the first ones come out. She couldn't give me details on the deposit since she said it's dealer specific.

I ordered the California route 1, so I could be making my deposit about a year before I get the car. I REALLY hope the deposits at least have a delivery date.

OP
OP

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I spoke with someone from Ford using the number on ford.com. They were really nice and knowledgeable. They said that after your reservation, you should get contacted by the dealer in spring 2020 to get the final configuration and price. Then, you'll finalize with the dealer and make a nonrefundable deposit with the dealer. Whether you make the deposit with the dealer or cancel your order, you'll get the $500 back.

The woman I spoke with confirmed that you'll likely be making a deposit before the first ones come out. She couldn't give me details on the deposit since she said it's dealer specific.

I ordered the California route 1, so I could be making my deposit about a year before I get the car. I REALLY hope the deposits at least have a delivery date.
thanks for the info! I’d be willing to make a $500 or even a $1000 gamble in the form of a non refundable deposit. A $50k-60k gamble is a different story.

RobB

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, 66 Skylark
Occupation
Filmmaker, Video Freelancer
Country flag
I called Ford (National) Marketing with several questions. Pleasant conversation, though initially she didn’t have answers, a brief hold, got an answer to one. Additional conversation must have jogged something and she answered the second... She told me that I’d be hearing from them early-mid June for a late June meeting at the dealership. Ford is planning to have a Mach-E at every dealership at these meetings. Way to go Ford! (This is exactly why I passed on Model 3, with a purchase this large - sight unseen is not okay).

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I reached out to 5 dealers:

- 1 told me no ADM
- 2 wouldn’t give me a direct answer
- 1 didn’t know yet
- 1 didn’t respond at all
We know nothing is written in stone, but there have been enough hints that ford are trying to make the process for us purchasing the car as easy as possible with even being able to do the whole thing online.

Will this happens who knows, but fords bean counters must know that if the dealers make it hard and people face all the same problems with dealers as those that where interested in the bolt that people will just walk away the tax credit only goes so far when a dealer wants to slap 5k worth of ADM.

Weather or not is is true, the dealer principles where supposedly told the price is MSRP and ford throws that dealer a bonus for each one that they hand over to a customer, yes there is the whole antiquated franchise rules ford has to work in, but there are plenty of ways ford can work behind the scenes to make sure us customers wanting a mach-e don't get screwed over by greedy dealers, I'm sure it would be most unfortunate if a dealers allotment of f150's was delayed.

At present the number of people wanting an EV is limited so dealers can either use this as an opportunity to adapt or get left behind when the inevitable happens.

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Talked with Ford hotline today. I am more confused than ever. Here is what they said about the flow:
- Must have received an email saying order open for me (not received yet)
- All should receive email by 30 June
- Go to the Ford website and order your car
- That order is passed to the dealer, who then passes your order to Ford

Question - How do I verify the price? I think I need to go see the dealer first, get it all in writing, then order the car maybe on my phone something then watch them do it?

Seems like Ford is trying to be like Tesla but can't get away from the dealer piece.

The other part that makes no sense is that anybody can walk in and order one on the 26th but I have to wait for an email and do something online before I can order. Just need to be patient, I guess.
Sponsored

Last edited: