Question for EA VIP - Can BlueCruise Updates be Combined?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
This question is for those in the EA VIP BlueCruise group who also have a good handle on the various OTAs, their contents, and the OTA process in general:
My understanding is that 2.4.2 - 2.5.3 are the collection of updates that enable a Job 1 car for BlueCruise. Would it be possible (theoretically) for some, or all of these updates be combined. Right now, only one update is pushed per day, at max, which would me that, in the best case scenario, it would take roughly 7 days to get all of the updates out. Before Ford begins sending BlueCruise to the masses could they combine some of these updates so that fewer updates (and thus days) would be required to enable BlueCruise?
Sponsored

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Based on my exclusive, late access membership secret access...

I think they could be combined as some updates, updated multiple modules. Why they aren't combined, I'm under the impression not everyone needs every update. So they could potentially do one big update that updates everything, but many cars would be updating something already up to date. So instead they might spit them. If your car needs everything, it starts at 2.4.1 (as an example) and hits one update a day. If you already have some updated modules it might skip one or two.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
They're already combined, or there would be a lot more. 2.4.2 updates the HPCM, BCCM, BECM, ABS, EVCM, and SDCM modules. 2.5.1 updates the APIM, DSCM, CCM, and PSCM modules.
Right. But I’m wondering if there is a way to significantly streamline the process. Right now, it sounds like there are at least 7-8 updates minimum, beyond 2.4.1 before BlueCruise. Human nature is to be impatient and want things NOW. I’m not sure how happy regular customers are going to be with over a week of daily updates (some of which will fail and have to be redeployed at some point) before the feature is available.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
My guess, and its pure speculation at this point, is that there are dependencies in there.

e.g. cannot update module A until module B has version x.y.z and cannot update B until C has a.b.c, etc.

Thus I bet they are as combined as possible.

There may even be changes to the update process in the intermediate steps...

(again pure speculation...)

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Right. But I’m wondering if there is a way to significantly streamline the process. Right now, it sounds like there are at least 7-8 updates minimum, beyond 2.4.1 before BlueCruise. Human nature is to be impatient and want things NOW. I’m not sure how happy regular customers are going to be with over a week of daily updates (some of which will fail and have to be redeployed at some point) before the feature is available.
The current process is what they’ve tested. They’re not going to make substantial changes without having to do a full round of testing again, which would just delay the rollout even more.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
My guess, and its pure speculation at this point, is that there are dependencies in there.

e.g. cannot update module A until module B has version x.y.z and cannot update B until C has a.b.c, etc.

Thus I bet they are as combined as possible.

There may even be changes to the update process in the intermediate steps...

(again pure speculation...)
You’re right, but I’m not necessarily convinced they optimized the combinations and minimized the number of updates. Recall that, with the EA VIP group, they were deliberately going carefully. It would not be unreasonable if they were cautious about trying to bundle too much into an OTA while they were troubleshooting the process.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The current process is what they’ve tested. They’re not going to make substantial changes without having to do a full round of testing again, which would just delay the rollout even more.
Well, I suspect you might be right, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they did try to optimize the process (after all, remember the magic touchstone word in software development today - “agile” ?) Didn’t one of the famous Silicon Valley wags once say “move fast and break things” ???

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
May have to do with install time too. Balancing many smaller installs compared to a large one that takes the car out of service for several hours. Or it fails and then has to restart all over.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
May have to do with install time too. Balancing many smaller installs compared to a large one that takes the car out of service for several hours. Or it fails and then has to restart all over.
None of the BlueCruise PowerUps take be vehicle out of service, as far as I know?

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
None of the BlueCruise PowerUps take be vehicle out of service, as far as I know?
2 of them do.
2.4.2 is a Powertrain update.
2.4.3 IPC update.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
Some optimizations already occur. My vehicle never received Power-Up 2.4.2 because whatever module(s) that update would have impacted were already up to date.
Is that because you had the 22p22 CSP done?

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
You're not keeping up. ?
Sigh, I can see ??? right now I’m at my dealer and the service writer moron is trying to tell me that the windshield/pano recall is brand new and they don’t have any information on it from Ford yet ? I pulled out my phone and tried to show him that the notification was dated September 2021 and he dismissively assured me that he didn’t need to see it since all the information was “in the system” ? I am getting annoyed.
Sponsored