Question: Is there a way to report ICE vehicles parked in an EV Charging station?

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
This applies only to this specific case, but if she said she would move for 20 minutes, then honestly what would she be able to do once you were occupying the spot? (Yeah, I know in NYC she might key your car or worse, but doesn't seem toooo likely.)
Right? “Sure, I’ll just be here 20 minutes.” Lol
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jessnyc

First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Premium MME ER
Country flag
I mean her just saying "you have 20mins only to charge" is not what I wanted to deal with. Even if she did move, she would be in front of me and could box me in since the Tes was charging behind, or she could just be an ass in other ways of damaging my car, or even escalate the situation more then it needs to be knowing the climate of violence we are in today, its not worth my time.

Sometimes just gotta be the bigger person and dip. Karma will happen one way or another. But they do need to do something with checking these areas out. I know other spots in the city that patrol and give tickets.

Say Watt

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTPE (Bought back), 2022 Kia EV6 GT-L, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Retired Electronics
Country flag
In California I rarely see ICE vehicles in charging spots, although every once in a while there is one. Our problem is Teslas primarily, but other EVidiots as well. I would personally pay a tow truck to remove these cars if I could.

This location has like 15 plugs and they are never available:

Screenshot_20230122-155642~2.png

Screenshot_20230122-155637~3.png
This must be the location. I was there a month ago. There was one Tesla and one Mach E charging. One spot open and the rest had parked Teslas. Didn't Tesla offer free charging AND free parking?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Question: Is there a way to report ICE vehicles parked in an EV Charging station? IMG_3771

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
This must be the location. I was there a month ago. There was one Tesla and one Mach E charging. One spot open and the rest had parked Teslas. Didn't Tesla offer free charging AND free parking?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Question: Is there a way to report ICE vehicles parked in an EV Charging station? IMG_3771
Yup, there and on the second story of the parking garage is another bank of them and they are both the same, full of Tesla's not charging.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag

IMG_3771.jpg
That's by a hospital, so I bet all those Teslas belong to the physicians. They make so much money they don't care about parking tickets or idle fees. Hospital probably won't tow them either because that would create a rift. Waiting and confronting the owners would be a great news segment.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
Hey Yall,

So on Sat. in the city, I went to an available charging station, only to find an ICE vehicle parked there. There was a lady inside her parked ICE vehicle lady doing nothing but scrolling her on phone, so I asked if she can move her car so I can charge, and she did not want to move at all. She said I would only allow you 20mins, and I am like uh no, its however long I need for my battery to reach the percent I need. She then points to the Telsa behind her charging, and said well that person been here all day, sorry not moving. I said you are not an EV and there is a sign stating for EV charging only, you cannot be here anyway.

Long story short, she didnt move, cops came (from seeing the interaction) and stopped to tell her to move (I am assuming, could not hear much as we were all in our cars) and she still didnt leave plus no ticket issued. I left and went to another station and waited for someone to finish their charge so I can charge up my vehicle.

Is there any way that we could report ICE vehicles from blocking EV charging stations? I know 311 here in the city is a way, but there should be something faster to get stations monitored from ppl like that.
Frankly, simple changes to the chargers could solve at least some of these issues. Like installing a red light on top of a charger which would start flashing if a car is parked and not charging. Not that it would stop everybody from blocking chargers, but most people would feel uncomfortable seeing a red light flashing and everybody looking at them and would prefer to leave.

Neilthepilot

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 MME Premium, Ram 1500, Wrangler, FR3
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Step one is to get legislation passed (preferably at the state level) to make it illegal to park in an EV charging spot, including charging and not moving your car after X minutes.

Step two is to get signs at the stations stating step one.

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
That's by a hospital, so I bet all those Teslas belong to the physicians. They make so much money they don't care about parking tickets or idle fees. Hospital probably won't tow them either because that would create a rift. Waiting and confronting the owners would be a great news segment.
Says the guy with a $60K car. Yikes, way to cast physicians as people who don't care!!! That would be like someone saying, "well it is NY, you know Yankees, they're a**holes".

People are people, it's all subjective and interpretation. If you want to be upset at someone, start with Putin. Now that's an A**hole.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Step one is to get legislation passed (preferably at the state level) to make it illegal to park in an EV charging spot, including charging and not moving your car after X minutes.

Step two is to get signs at the stations stating step one.
Personally I prefer a less top down approach, and not more laws and regulations. If the property owners get enough complaints, solutions will be put in place. Like charging idle fees for cars that are plugged in but not charging. The people who own the parking area have customers, and if there are a lot of mad customers because of bad parking behavior, eventually they will look for a solution.

Part of the problem is ICE drivers do not understand our plight. I was talking to someone who sells public Charepoint chargers to parking property owners and she didn't know that people where blocking chargers. She also didn't understand that a 1-2 hour L2 charge is often not significant enough to make a difference. To get a significant charge the car needs to sit there for 6 hours or more (depending on L2 speed, of course).

I was beyond surprised that she didn't understand the user base of those she is selling the chargers to. But she has never owned a BEV. and really was not interested in owning a BEV. I wanted to ask her how she can be successful when she doesn't understand the market but that would have been rude.

Anyway, the point is we need to complain to the property owners. I have complained to the company that owns my office parking garage. They said they would look into it, and of course nothing has happened yet. But if I am not the only one complaining and calling them, they will be more motivated to fix it. Most of us will just be pissed off and not take any action beyond that. Take action and maybe we can help accelerate the change that I think will happen eventually.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
I'd say it depends on your State law. California law allows a property owner to tow non-charging vehicles that block EV chargers.

Edit: This site lists states with "anti-ICEing" laws. Not sure how up to date it is.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I'd say it depends on your State law. California law allows a property owner to tow non-charging vehicles that block EV chargers.

Edit: This site lists states with "anti-ICEing" laws. Not sure how up to date it is.
Any private property owner can post that they'll tow if you park on their property, and do so, at their cost.

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
This is funny and stupid, but in Dec I was at an EvGo station getting ready to charge, and I pull up and there’s a Tesla that wasn’t charging parked in one of the available spots.

Come to find out, the Tesla belonged to the guy that was working for an EvGo subcontractor to upgrade some internal components. He could have parked in one of the non-EV spots instead of blocking a spot with his car.

RonOinAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 DMG Premium 4X
Country flag
I'm surprised that I can't find anybody selling bright/neon-colored 3"x5" very-sticky stickers that could be applied to the offender's window reminding them that it's inconsiderate to block access access to charging equipment. Security guards where I used to work used something like this when they caught an employee parking in the "guest" lot. The warning sticker would be placed on the driver's side window in a location most likely to obstruct the driver's view to the left. It was easy to spot most who had been stickered because the adhesive was apparently very hard to remove.

blkadr08

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE Premium XR
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think that eventually legislation will be the solution. Laws establishing tow away zones, and/or increased fines, as in handicapped parking spaces would probably eliminate most of this. Each of us should probably contact our State Reps requesting action here.
Sponsored