Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
First EV. I have never had to replace an engine. I can work on ICE cars. I am only concerned with the cost of EV electronics post warranty. I expect future repairs to be costly.
Battery issues are not all or nothing...

Just as with Tesla, and all the hybrids, there is a burgeoning aftermarket fixing packs with other reclaimed cells or portions of a pack.

The good news here is that it's not 20K or more for a high mileage battery fix... its much less as only the bad cells would get replaced.

https://electrek.co/2021/09/13/tesla-battery-pack-replacement-repair/
Sponsored

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
First EV. I have never had to replace an engine. I can work on ICE cars. I am only concerned with the cost of EV electronics post warranty. I expect future repairs to be costly.
I don't.

Everyone told me I would regret buying a Prius in 2002 because the costs in repairs and battery would be way higher than what I saved in gas. That wasn't even close to true. And now, 20 years later, the data show that owning an HEV, PHEV, or EV results in lower long-term costs than owning an ICE.

OP
OP

Shelbeast

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT Delivered 9/9/22, GT500
Occupation
Sausage Maker
Country flag
I don't.

Everyone told me I would regret buying a Prius in 2002 because the costs in repairs and battery would be way higher than what I saved in gas. That wasn't even close to true. And now, 20 years later, the data show that owning an HEV, PHEV, or EV results in lower long-term costs than owning an ICE.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing that.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The cost is comparable to ICE powertrain replacements when you take core charge into account. The frequency of drivetrain replacements in an EV is tracking to be less than ICE power train replacements so assuming that trend continues then the chances of you needing to replace your HVB is very small indeed.

Chicago-E

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE Iconic Silver, 2021 GTPE Space White
Occupation
Generator Technician
Country flag
The cost is comparable to ICE powertrain replacements when you take core charge into account. The frequency of drivetrain replacements in an EV is tracking to be less than ICE power train replacements so assuming that trend continues then the chances of you needing to replace your HVB is very small indeed.
HVB will probably be ok. The HVBJB is the biggest concern I have with longevity. I suppose if it continues to be a major issue after the most recent revisions it might be covered by some sort of good will extended warranty.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
HVB will probably be ok. The HVBJB is the biggest concern I have with longevity. I suppose if it continues to be a major issue after the most recent revisions it might be covered by some sort of good will extended warranty.
I don't have actual figures to back up the statement.....but speaking with an insider who should have more visibility to the situation it appears the HVJB failure rate is comparable to transmission failures in Mustang ICE vehicles. So yes it is a concern but not really that far outside what we see in other models.

GuliblGuy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black 2021 Premium 4X Mach E
Country flag
I don't have actual figures to back up the statement.....but speaking with an insider who should have more visibility to the situation it appears the HVJB failure rate is comparable to transmission failures in Mustang ICE vehicles. So yes it is a concern but not really that far outside what we see in other models.
I was wondering if it would be a Pinto like situation with the new revised part....ie most people will be fine on it the way they drive, and the ones that do fail, for them to replace it is much cheaper than doing a full-on recall and just putting the newer part into all of the vehicles.

Obviously not on the same par as people dying in the Pinto, but the cost versus the few that are going to need it.
Sponsored