cmmd

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWi3, Nissan Leaf
Country flag
After 15+ months (or 50 years) of waiting, depending on how you count, I brought my new premium ER RWD home from the dealer on Friday night. Since the majority of professional reviews--and most of the early reports here--have been with the AWD, I wanted to get a sense for the likely range in the RWD version at highway speeds. Since I have the advantage (for present purposes, at least) of living right off a major highway, all but 5 minutes of the test was at highway speeds. Consistent with reports on other trims, the ER RWD performed as well or better than I expected.

I did 105 miles of almost pure highway driving at an estimated average speed of 72 mph. Outside temp ranged from 40-42 F. I had the interior climate controls set pretty high (74F) for about the first half of the trip, then dropped them to a still warm 69F about halfway through. The car was in unbridled mode throughout; and never on cruise control.

I started with 94% SOC and ended at 52%. Thus, traveling 105 miles at >70mph used 42% of the battery, consistent with an overall range of 250 miles at highway speeds. The MME reported an efficiency of 3.0 kw for the trip, which would suggest a slightly higher range of 264 miles. Three things suggest the achievable highway range would likely be higher still: (1) The 40-42F temps are fairly cool. In the mid-Atlantic, Southeast, and lower-midwest, at least, temps are generally warmer than that for 8-9 months a year. (2) As noted, climate controls were set quite high for at least half the test, taking a further hit to efficiency. (3) Due to traffic, I was using the accelerator frequently, rather than holding the steady speed generally achievable on long car trips over more open road.

Two other notes on the car for those, like I was, wanting a few more impressions of the RWD model:

With all the excitement over the AWD, I was worried I might find the RWD a bit too slow. Nope. From a standing start, it's more than quick enough to pin my wife to her seat, make my teenage son laugh, and send things flying off the dash. And it responded instantly to the accelerator no matter what speed I was going.

Although most every reviewer has loved the AWD, several reviews suggested it was lacking in road feel. (I haven't noticed anyone here complaining, though.) In addition to the highway test, I also did about 30 miles on little windy country roads. I think the RWD was a beautiful balance of control and feedback. At 4700 pounds, it's not the electric go-cart my BMW i3 was, but it's responsive and really fun to drive.
Sponsored

@kWhpony

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Premium RWD ER
Occupation
Retired technology professional
Country flag
I'll hopefully take delivery of an ER RWD MME next week and am encouraged with your results. Weather has warmed up in the Midwest and spring temperatures should be conducive for realizing range potential. I plan to take a similar range test and will share results.

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag
Although most every reviewer has loved the AWD, several reviews suggested it was lacking in road feel. (I haven't noticed anyone here complaining, though.) In addition to the highway test, I also did about 30 miles on little windy country roads. I think the RWD was a beautiful balance of control and feedback. At 4700 pounds, it's not the electric go-cart my BMW i3 was, but it's responsive and really fun to drive.
I'm on my second i3 and, in general, love the way it drives so always interested in comparisons with it and the MME. I like the nimbleness of the i3, although it's always felt light on the highway. I'm hopeful that the MME will give me more of a solid feel on the freeway (where I actually don't drive all that much anymore), while maintaining some of the quickness of the i3. I also have an RWD on order, although SR instead of ER.

OP
OP

cmmd

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWi3, Nissan Leaf
Country flag
I'm on my second i3 and, in general, love the way it drives so always interested in comparisons with it and the MME. I like the nimbleness of the i3, although it's always felt light on the highway. I'm hopeful that the MME will give me more of a solid feel on the freeway (where I actually don't drive all that much anymore), while maintaining some of the quickness of the i3. I also have an RWD on order, although SR instead of ER.
I don't think you'll be disappointed. I always thought the i3 felt pretty quick, and the 0-60 time for the MME is a good bit faster. I think the i3 might get to 30 quicker (than the ER RWD), just because it's so small, but the MME can sustain the acceleration. And I agree on the nimbleness of the i3, which I really loved. The Mach E is bigger and heavier, so can't slip between lanes with quite the same ease, but everywhere I wanted the car to go, it went immediately. And once you get into highway speeds, the dramatically higher power in the MME is immediately clear when you punch the accelerator.

Last edited:

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag
I don't think you'll be disappointed. I always thought the i3 felt pretty quick, and the 0-60 time for the MME is a good bit faster. I think the i3 might get to 30 quicker (than the ER RWD), just because it's so small, but the MME can sustain the acceleration. And I agree on the nimbleness of the i3, which I really loved. The Mach E is bigger and heavier, so can't slip between lanes with quite the same ease, but everywhere I wanted the car to go, it went immediately. And once you get into highway speeds, the dramatically higher power in the MME is immediately clear when you punch the accelerator.
That's very good to know. Our MME test drive was rather brief and didn't involve any freeway driving, but what you're saying seems consistent with our experience. Thanks for the feedback!
Sponsored