Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Build Date - 11/13/2020
Ship Date - 1/22/21
Delivery Date - 2/18/21
Expectations - I’ve owned a Volt and Bolt, and I wanted an EV that was as reliable as my Bolt (never had a single issue), went further on a charge, and was easier on the eyes.
Initial Impressions:
1. My new First Edition definitely looks better, inside and out, than the Bolt. I was forced to love the Bolt in secret (she was ugly), but the Grabber Blue Mach-e is hot.
2. The Bolt had more aggressive regeneration, and I found myself needing to use the breaks on the MMe because the regen wasn’t going to get the job done (I also grabbed for the non-existent “paddle” with my left hand for extra regen multiple times). I’ll adapt quickly to the different regen.
3. I looked for every issue identified on this forum during my 20 minute test drive. Fortunately (so far) I only have 1 - the wind noise from the roof is quite noticeable (slightly irritating, but not a deal breaker). If it bothers me too much, I’ll silicone the front gap and move on.
4. I don’t count this as an issue, but I cannot get FordPass to work (and stopped trying after deleting the app, deleting the MMe from the app, each multiple times. I’m stuck in an Activation Pending status. I blame myself for this one. I activated my MMe back in early December when it was sitting in Mexico. On 1/22 (the day it shipped), my Pending status shifted to Rejected (I note this was the day it shipped, so someone must have entered the car and rejected it). I wish I knew how to reset FordPass from the vehicle, so I could try again.
5. I thought because the Mach-e had a usable battery capacity that was 20% more than the Bolt, I’d get way more miles per charge. I doubt this will happen. I didn’t account for the Mach-e being less efficient (I knew it was heavier, but it struck me as more aerodynamic so I thought they would be equal out). In any event, it was about 20 degrees, and the 45 mile drive home from the dealership was mostly highway. I averaged approximately 2.2 mi/kWh, which (while worse than the Bolt), isn’t terrible. By way of context, I refuse to drive below the speed limit (cruise set at 75 mph) and refuse to drive uncomfortably (cabin heat set at 70), so I’m sure others can squeeze out more.
6. Given my early build date, I’m puckered up pretty good with regard to the 12v battery issue. Seems unlikely the plant applied a fix to mine but let the other November/December builds roll out to KC fixless, but at this point I’m going to force myself to trust the car and hope it doesn’t strand the family someplace inconvenient.
7. I’ve divided my life into commuter cars (I live in Ann Arbor and work in Toledo) and fun/weekend cars (Porsche, Corvette, Cutlass Convertible, etc). The Mach-e might be the first to scratch multiple itches.
8. I’ll get to drive it more this weekend, and if it doesn’t start because of the 12v battery, y’all will be the 3rd to know about it. Cheers!
Sponsored