Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
This morning, I'm taking grandkids to school. 2 kids in the backseat, one is in a booster.
First stop is the convenience store for donuts (grandpa's prerogative!). The oldest and I go in to select pastries, the one in the booster remains in the vehicle and unbuckles his belt. We get back in the car and I start and put in reverse before they complete buckling. I get a seatbelt warning saying that I have three (!) unbuckled passengers in the back. I figure that between having a booster and the way kids climb around...OK, not a big deal. We drive to the next stop with the warning on that there is an unbuckled passenger in the center rear even though the center of the back seat is completely empty.

I pull into the driveway at the home of the carpool who will complete the last leg of the school journey. They both get out. Now I have a warning that I have 3 unbuckled passengers in the back - there's nothing there but an empty booster on the passenger side.

I figure I'll investigate further when I get home. so I proceed to back out of the driveway. I switch to R and as I try to back out, brakes are dragging. By the bottom of the driveway, the car stops and will not move. I switch to P and shut the car off, then restart. When it comes on, it says the parking brake is engaged - I have never touched the parking brake button since I got the car. So I release the parking brake and drive home - everything is now normal. The seatbelt warning also cleared.

I looked in the owner's manual and see nothing about the parking brake being automatically applied.

Just posting this in case others have any similar issues or have insights to offer.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Maquis

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Further perusing the manual finds the following under the "Auto hold" topic:

Note: Under certain conditions, the system
could apply the electric parking brake. The
brake system warning lamp illuminates. The
electric parking brake releases when you
press the accelerator pedal. See
Automatically Releasing the Electric
Parking Brake (page 181).
Note: The system switches off if you shift
into reverse (R) and press the brake pedal.
There could be actions that can cause the
auto hold system not to work when the
following occur:
• When you use active park assist.
• Your vehicle is in stay in neutral mode.
• The driver door is open.
• You have not fastened your seatbelt.
• You shift into reverse (R) before the
system is active.

This is kind of vague - does "your seatbelt" include all passengers?
I'm thinking this relates to my problem and further ingrains my contempt of cars thinking they are smarter than I am. :D

Reactions: UW2

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I have noticed similar issues as well. twice I've had 2 other people in the car, one in the front, one in the back. Any time I've had someone sit in the back seat, I get a notice that the center seat seatbelt isn't snapped. Enough that my friend actually snapped it with no one in it.

And then if you drop them off, and don't stop the car, when you go to take off again it gives a warning that those seats now aren't snapped. It seems like that sensor doesn't update in real time. If you trip it thinking there is someone in it, it doesn't clear for a while.

Reactions: UW2
OP
OP
Maquis

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have noticed similar issues as well. twice I've had 2 other people in the car, one in the front, one in the back. Any time I've had someone sit in the back seat, I get a notice that the center seat seatbelt isn't snapped. Enough that my friend actually snapped it with no one in it.

And then if you drop them off, and don't stop the car, when you go to take off again it gives a warning that those seats now aren't snapped. It seems like that sensor doesn't update in real time. If you trip it thinking there is someone in it, it doesn't clear for a while.
I guess I'm somewhat glad my observations aren't one-off. It would also seem that this may be an issue that can be fixed via software - surely the hardware that senses occupancy is working, otherwise stopping and restarting the car would not reset the warnings.

gpete

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition RR
Country flag
Was just about to post about this and did a search first. First time we had someone else ride with us my wife accidentally started to buckle into center seat receptacle from one of the sides and that triggered the seat belt warning - which didn't clear for the entire drive. Then, last night let a friend out from the back seat and had the seat belt warning on until got home.
Glad others see the same.
Sponsored