Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTPE (Bought back), 2022 Kia EV6 GT-L, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Retired Electronics
Country flag
This series of articles is from CalMatters - an independent, online news organization that make an attempt to provide information, not affirmation. Nadia Lopez, formerly from the Fresno Bee, put together this four-part series that delves into the "high weeds" of EV transition.

https://calmatters.org/series/california-electric-vehicles/

Ford Mustang Mach-E Race to Zero: California's bumpy road to electrify cars and trucks cal-maaters
Sponsored

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for the post. California did jump the gun on the gas phase outs. I get the feeling that there will always be both hybrids and electric cars on the planet. Both improving over time.
I guess the mechanics that are worried about losing their jobs will have to move to Wyoming.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Certainly part of the plan requires EV owners to charge off-peak when there is plenty of production, but human nature to save a buck is strong and it doesn't require those humans to do anything more than set up a schedule in some piece of software. I'm positive that those with an EV and the opportunity to save 30% to 50% by doing nothing more than configuring overnight charging absolutely will do so. I'm sure the bigger concern on the utility's part is having to give discounts to reward the desired behavior.

The bigger problem is apartment dwellers and those without dedicated parking; that problem is harder to solve.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Country flag
I'm surprised that California hasn't mandated a charging standard. Having 2 types of charging infrastructure will make their goals harder to achieve.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I'm surprised that California hasn't mandated a charging standard. Having 2 types of charging infrastructure will make their goals harder to achieve.
One standard is for any tech is helpful, but I'm not convinced its an EV adoption barrier in California at the minute.

Looking forward, there is a winning standard. Its CCS.... it's just a matter of time.

Teslas can use CCS stations DCFC stations now with a cheap adapter... Going the opposite way (ccs to tesla adapter) could be implemented fairly quickly... if Tesla gets strong armed. I'll bet 3 years.
Sponsored