DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
Looks like the car got "woken up" by something, amd what your seeing is the infrared eye monitoring system lighting up the interior, which shows up rather brightly on night vision cameras, but would not be visible in person.

I've noticed on my own Premium MME 4X that when I'm just sitting in the vehicle during a public DC charge session, or even when just sitting in the car when powered off that I hear what sounds like something moving inside the frame of the vehicle, similar to the knocking you hear in your vid. At first I though it was a rodent or something, and it actually startled me and I got out of the car to have a look.

I'm guessing though it was some sort of contactor or mechanical relay doing something inside the vehicle.

I've heard it several times now and it sounds as if it comes from the driver side rear of the vehicle, and I expect its normal. But just sounds weird from inside the far.
Sponsored

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag
That looks like the IR lights from the driver sensor and not the dashboard screen since it appears to "blink" on both sides and there is a dark spot in the middle top of the steering wheel. Cameras can see those but you wouldn't be able to if you were standing there.

Although it doesn't really answer your question of why it was happening. The charging might have just completed or your phone's Bluetooth might have connected, etc... or,

Maybe your car got scared and turned on the driver sensor to see if you were there?
That happens to me. Our garage is detached so BT connects and disconnects depending on what side of the house I'm on (or my phone is on technically).

OP
OP

jnthn98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I wonder if the Bluetooth connection to your phone is dropping and re-establishing and that wakes the car up.
It's possible. PaaK hasn't been reliable for me. It does re-connect some times. However, even when my Android phone says it's connected to the car, when I press the door open button, nothing happens. Most reliable way to get into the car is still the single car fob.

OP
OP

jnthn98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
That happens to me. Our garage is detached so BT connects and disconnects depending on what side of the house I'm on (or my phone is on technically).
Thanks for the feedback. That's good to know. We have an attached garage and upstairs floor over the garage. Maybe when I/phone are walking around, it wakes up the car. The thing that gets me the most is even though my phone can wake up the car, I cannot get inside the car when i press the door open button when phone is literally next to the car. Phone is setup as MyKey and the Android menu "key" icon shown as connected. Probably PaaK issues that I have been reading about?

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback. That's good to know. We have an attached garage and upstairs floor over the garage. Maybe when I/phone are walking around, it wakes up the car. The thing that gets me the most is even though my phone can wake up the car, I cannot get inside the car when i press the door open button when phone is literally next to the car. Phone is setup as MyKey and the Android menu "key" icon shown as connected. Probably PaaK issues that I have been reading about?
I wonder if it's been woken up erroneously too many times, so it's ignoring you when you actually are trying to open the door.

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag
Probably. I still drive with the fob, and use phone pairing for old-fashioned infotainment. My guess is those 2 aspects of BT connectivity are distinct, so it's the infotainment/Sync waking up for you.

I think of it the same as the active shutters opening and closing during charging to run the coolant loops. This car is never really off even when it's "off" - more like it's dormant. That's something new to get used to as a BEV owner.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
most likely the bluetooth dropping and re-connecting depending on your proximity. When MME 'wakes up' the HV contactor snaps shut, checks voltage of 12v battery, and runs thru all the pre-flight 'conditioning' and sensor checks.

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
Same here. seems like most EV make some strange random noises. Just think of it as a dog dreaming ? , only in this case is a big electric pony.