TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I was planning on a hundred miles tomorrow but it may rain, which would be great but would cancel the event. That would have given me a good idea of the range at 68-82 MPH (hard to find a steady speed with traffic).

Cold will take it out of range but you have to be careful when projecting from a small sample of miles. A Prius will get 8 MPH for the first few miles when it's really cold, but as things warm up it becomes much more efficient. Not exactly the same with BEVs but similar.

The bummer is that you're not going to want to drive the Escape! LOL
Yep, we're stuck doing some of these projections from smaller samples that aren't ideal simply because we've been starved for anything better. But now that more MMEs are making it to customers, we'll be able to do a lot better ones. Mine should show up in a week or two, and I'll do my own testing then. But I'll make sure the car is fully up to temp when doing miles/kWh tests at 75 MPH, which is the stat I'm most interested in at various temps because it's the one that really matters for determining practical range on typical road trips (where range matters).

The Escape has been great, but we don't mind making it the secondary car now. It's got 65k miles on it, so it's still got half it's life ahead. We're gonna have to drive it periodically just to keep the battery charged, if nothing else.
Sponsored

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I 100% do not share this opinion. I have near zero range anxiety because I see the figure on my display and I am good at comparing numbers to figure out which one is larger. It is much more comforting to know that I have 30 miles of range remaining and my destination is 10 miles away. It would give me anxiety to have to figure out if 18% of range is enough to make it there.

On road trips......I like to look at the mile markers and compare them to the range calculation on the display and then can determine if I am over/under compared to the calculation. That is a very simple thing to do if the figure is provided to me.

I realize for decades that ICE vehicles would usually only show a percentage of a tank of fuel and we all survived but there have been quite a few times where I have come close to running out of fuel or even ran out once or twice. I have NEVER ran out of charge in a BEV and I think it's because I can see the real time range remaining. I think having the range displayed is an evolution compared to how it was done in the past.
Agree with this. Looking at the percentage tells me nothing. A BEV is not a phone! I want to know how many miles I have until I run out of electrons.

tomterky

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Mustang Pony Edition Convertible; 2021 Mach E
Country flag
Agree with this. Looking at the percentage tells me nothing. A BEV is not a phone! I want to know how many miles I have until I run out of electrons.
I'm in Minnesota now and the highs for the weekend will be in the negative temps with the low near -20. Having just got my first BEV this Wednesday, I have to say, range anxiety is real. But, I know how many miles I can go until I'm a paper weight. Luckily all I do is city driving so when I got home the last two days, I've had 10 miles left. In the morning when I reset EV driver history after charging, it changes from only 130 miles at 100% to 189 miles. But then as I drive to work, it quickly drops in the negative temperatures. Heater is not blasting but 68 degrees with steering wheel an seats on.

We have my wife's ICE for backup if we need to go anywhere later in the evenings.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
It's snowing here in Seattle. This would have been my one chance this year to try out the MME in the snow. Damn it! A good 1/2" of snow wasted on my front-wheel-drive BEVs. No donuts for me!
you can get them delivered from Top Pot Doughnuts and Coffee

wait that's the wrong kind of donut never mind

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Hello, you lucky few (a small herd now) that are driving their very own MME.

I've read a couple of places that MME drivers are resetting their EV history often, daily, more than that one time when you got the car. If you want that GOM to ever be accurate, DON"T do that. The car has to learn that it can go farther. By erasing the history, you are giving the car amnesia so all it knows, is what it sees around it, and base programming. The more you drive it the better it will get. At least that's what they've told us it can do. Remember that the GOM is a guess, it doesn't change how far you can go.

I would like to see someone set up two profiles. One for driving with your pants on fire, with the heat one, etc., and one that is driving like a grandpa. Is the GOM different in each profile? It certainly should be. Thanks

Last edited:

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Hello, you luck few (a small herd now) that are driving their very own MME.

I've read a couple of places that MME drivers are resetting their EV history often, daily, more than that one time when you got the car. If you want that GOM to ever be accurate, DON"T do that. The car has to learn that it can go farther. By erasing the history, you are giving the car amnesia so all it knows, is what it sees around it, and base programming. The more you drive it the better it will get. At least that's what they've told us it can do. Remember that the GOM is a guess, it doesn't change how far you can go.

I would like to see someone set up two profiles. One for driving with your pants on fire, with the heat one, etc., and one that is driving like a grandpa. Is the GOM different in each profile? It certainly should be. Thanks
Yes and no. If you have similar route and driving style day to day, then your meter will gain accuracy by predicting based on your habits. Howwever if take a trip that is radically different (i.e. all highway instead of rush hour traffic) than your GOm will be off and you may want to reset it.