Range anxiety after two days of driving

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Every time my patience wavered on the MachE, I'd go entertain ordering a Tesla (because unlike many here I love both the 3 and the Y). After 20 minutes reading about issues on the forums, I would change my mind.
20? how about 3? ha :D
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I am hoping we are able to customize what we see on that screen. Same as what we get with "My View" on the previous Ford EVs.

My current Ford BEV let's me cycle the left side of my instrument cluster to show 4 views. The last choice is the "My View" and it is customizable. Lots of options. The view choices are Range View, Budget View, Budget Text and My View. I dont understand the Budget Text view....not sure what Ford was thinking there...????
Yeah that was nice....haven't seen anything like it on the Mach-E (can't put the trip meters up on the dash display).

There may be something, but I haven't found it yet (yeah ok I haven't even had the car for 24 hours yet).

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I am going to keep challenging you on this just so people can hear a second opinion.
I think we all understand that you don't like seeing that range number and that is fine. You can ignore that portion of the instrument cluster quite easily.
The inclusion of that range calculation is something that I think the majority of owners would prefer to have vs not have.
The range displayed on my BEV has been very very accurate for most all of my daily driving. Where it gets questionable is for long trips. In those cases the suggestions that you and the others have been providing are useful comments.

But for daily driving normal use conditions.....that range calculation is pretty darn accurate. At least the way Ford does it. Can't speak for other manufacturers though.....
You actually can adjust the steering wheel so it blocks the GOM--no tape needed.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I like having both the state of charge and estimated range. But I also think it would be fun to be able to do a little more customization of the driver's screen. Maybe a future OTA update. If not, no big deal. I'd much prefer Ford focus on other things (improving PAAK, pre-charge battery conditioning, and expanding DCFC charging network come to mind....)

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
Wi
I tend to disagree. My LR Y has been at about 160 miles in 30 degree temps. Started at 90% and preheated before departure. Most driving at 70 mph on interstate. Feel like at -10, would be a bit lower.
[/QUOTE
I tend to disagree. My LR Y has been at about 160 miles in 30 degree temps. Started at 90% and preheated before departure. Most driving at 70 mph on interstate. Feel like at -10, would be a bit lower.
Do you really think "Wind Chill" matters here?

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
I'm enjoying this talk on the frigid conditions in the lower 48. We are forecasting -33F the next two nights. Sounds like I'll be lucky to have the range to get to the end of the driveway in my ER (when I get it). :oops:

Actually, I'm planning on at least a 50% drop in range - and that is with a heated garage at home and a Grizzl-E EVSE at work. FWIW, at -30 to -50 my ICE vehicle typically loses 1/3 to 1/2 it's normal range - partially from incomplete engine combustion and partially from the need to remote start the car for 10 minutes at work (0 mpg) in order to have the engine put out enough heat to warm the cabin before driving home.

Not boasting, just saying EVs aren't unique for their poor performance in extreme cold. Expect it, plan for it, and don't lose sleep over it.
If you are able to plug in on both sides of your commute you may find that the range does not degrade as much as you think it will.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Do you really think "Wind Chill" matters here?
Not to sidetrack too much, but this is an interesting question, and I think the answer is "sort of". The point of wind chill and "feels like" and other values is to map what you actually want to know about being outside "how fast will thermal energy leave my body" to the reported value of temperature.

For a human body, wind means moisture evaporation and increased convective cooling, so wind lowers the "effective" temperature. For a car, the moisture part isn't present, but the increase in convective cooling is still there - your car's temperature would drop faster in the wind than in still air.

Of course, if your car is driving then the wind might be additive or subtractive to the total air movement across the car, and a 10mph wind, while significant to a person standing still, might be insignificant compared to a 75mph driving speed.

So, I suppose my answer would be "no, the wind chill number isn't directly applicable to cars, however, windy conditions could still result in the car requiring more energy to heat the battery and interior than non-windy conditions."

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you are able to plug in on both sides of your commute you may find that the range does not degrade as much as you think it will.
I would assume he can't, since that would completely change the scenario he described.

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Corvette Stingray, 2021 Mach E premium SR RWD
Country flag
Most of your posts are like this. Why are you so negative? What is your reason for participating in this community?

It sure seems like it's only you.

Enjoy it.

(with credits to @trutolife27)
If we took a drink everytime he said "heat pump" we'd be in the hospital with severe alcohol poisoning by now...
Sponsored