Range anxiety after two days of driving

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
This tesla forum post makes me feel better about the ME, but generally worse all at the same time. Basically Electrics and deep winter don't really go well together.

Winter Battery Drain
I just got done with a horrendous, scary incident last night. I charged my car to 280 miles. We went on a 70 mile (one-way) trip to the in-laws. We were down to 100 miles remaining when we left to come back. It said we would arrive home with 4% left. That was scary. It said that we should drive under 50mph to make it and we did. We got about 30 miles into the return trip and it said that we would be negative. I am panicked. The only supercharger is the same distance as my home. I call tesla and they say to look for a 3rd party charge. The ONLY one I can make it to now is in a little town. I asked them how much I would have to charge to make it to the supercharger. They couldn't tell me. Wow, not even a guess.

When I get there, they had snowplowed the charger in. I called tesla back and they said that maybe we could make it to another one. There is no way. I discovered that tesla roadside doesn't cover a tow in this situation. We spent about a half-hour trying to dig out the charger with a snow scraper. That was no fun in the cold.

After about 3 attempts to get the packed snow out of the connector we got it to charge. It would charge about 1 mph. If we turn the heat completely off it would charge at 25 mph. We walk to a restaurant and stayed there as long as we could. They started to get busy and with covid, we could not take up their booth because they could only have a few open. We spent the next 3 1/2 hours in the car without heat. By the time we left, we were in uncontrollable shivering. We tried to have double the amount of miles that we needed to make it 45 miles to the supercharger.

We took off and it seemed like we were not going to make it again. We turned off the heat again and we made it. Because of the speed that we were required to drive, this short trip took another hour. When we got to the supercharger, I felt like I was in hypothermia and really uncontrollable shivering. I used to love this car and now I hate it. I feel like getting rid of it. It is a safety hazard to drive in the winter.

Yes, I had read that the mileage would be reduced during cold weather. How was I to know that a 280 miles change would only make it 100 miles?

OdellBretthamJr

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape, Mach E
Country flag
This tesla forum post makes me feel better about the ME, but generally worse all at the same time. Basically Electrics and deep winter don't really go well together.

Winter Battery Drain
I just got done with a horrendous, scary incident last night. I charged my car to 280 miles. We went on a 70 mile (one-way) trip to the in-laws. We were down to 100 miles remaining when we left to come back. It said we would arrive home with 4% left. That was scary. It said that we should drive under 50mph to make it and we did. We got about 30 miles into the return trip and it said that we would be negative. I am panicked. The only supercharger is the same distance as my home. I call tesla and they say to look for a 3rd party charge. The ONLY one I can make it to now is in a little town. I asked them how much I would have to charge to make it to the supercharger. They couldn't tell me. Wow, not even a guess.

When I get there, they had snowplowed the charger in. I called tesla back and they said that maybe we could make it to another one. There is no way. I discovered that tesla roadside doesn't cover a tow in this situation. We spent about a half-hour trying to dig out the charger with a snow scraper. That was no fun in the cold.

After about 3 attempts to get the packed snow out of the connector we got it to charge. It would charge about 1 mph. If we turn the heat completely off it would charge at 25 mph. We walk to a restaurant and stayed there as long as we could. They started to get busy and with covid, we could not take up their booth because they could only have a few open. We spent the next 3 1/2 hours in the car without heat. By the time we left, we were in uncontrollable shivering. We tried to have double the amount of miles that we needed to make it 45 miles to the supercharger.

We took off and it seemed like we were not going to make it again. We turned off the heat again and we made it. Because of the speed that we were required to drive, this short trip took another hour. When we got to the supercharger, I felt like I was in hypothermia and really uncontrollable shivering. I used to love this car and now I hate it. I feel like getting rid of it. It is a safety hazard to drive in the winter.

Yes, I had read that the mileage would be reduced during cold weather. How was I to know that a 280 miles change would only make it 100 miles?
This has to be a parody or troll.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag

Winter Battery Drain

I wonder if it would have made a difference if the Tesla owner was using SoC rather than estimated mileage? I know the MME is much more conservative with its range estimate considering it actually takes weather into account.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...dict-range-based-weather-and-more-145052.html

stroszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 92x
Country flag
You should probably carry an emergency blanket during deep winter regardless of vehicle type. Things go wrong.

OdellBretthamJr

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape, Mach E
Country flag
Weather does impact the battery but his story doesn’t make sense. He was 40 miles from home and was charging at 25mph for 3 hours yet was worried he wouldn’t make it. He started his return trip with 100 miles left and a 70 mile journey. Add in the 3 hours of charging and he had at least 75 miles of range with 40 miles to travel. This sounds like a range panic attack more than anything.

Teledatageek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford Raptor; '24 BMW X5 50e
Country flag
My wife drove to N. Falls this morning in our LR Y. We charged it to 91% last night and was preheated.

She's currently parked there and there is 45% remaining after driving 90 miles at mostly 65mph on the NYS thruway. 17 degrees out for the drive. She won't be able to make it back (safely) without a SC stop in Buffalo on her way back. So what's that, 180 miles range? She kept the cabin at 66 degrees and had the seat heater on position two.

Seems consistent with the range in that posters story. Also - last time she did this trip, the computer said she could make it home with 4%. I told her no way to chance that. Turns out her last exit was closed because of a broken water main and she was diverted a good 15 miles. Would never have made it home..

I suggested that she SC for a good 30 minutes to make sure she has some reserve for the trip home.

I would say be very aware of this, especially during the winter months in areas that are cold and snowy like it is here in Western NY.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
That one's way too powerful. 121 Gigawatts is a lot more than 1.21 Jigawatts :)
"Getting Jigawatts" was not Will Smith's best song tbh.

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag