Range anxiety after two days of driving

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I confess, I am reading these recent tesla posts to make me feel better about my ME and it's minor niggles that people are reporting. Here is another from today:

Are there some drawbacks? Sure. I've learned a few things since I got the car:
- I will probably never achieve the rated 300+ mi range. From reading the forums here (and my own experience), that would require never driving above 65mph, accelerating/decelerating like a robot, driving only on flat terrain, in 50F+ degree weather, using the HVAC system sparingly, charging to full (Tesla recommends against), etc, etc. For my own usage, this has functioned more like a 240-250mi range vehicle.
- There is NO live customer service, unless you are purchasing a vehicle or have a roadside emergency. Not as in "the hold times are long" - I mean there are actually no reps to talk to outside of those two areas. For a unique product with its own design and ecosystem, this is a gaping oversight.
- Charging to 75-80% will take 30-40 minutes. This contrasted with the 15-20min I was quoted by sales reps, which might be achievable using a v3 supercharger alone, but that is hardly typical. With the range issues above this can easily turn a 5hr roadtrip in your ICE vehicle into an 8hr adventure in your Tesla. 8hrs of driving can become a 13-15hr marathon.
- There is no built-in AM radio - you need to stream it through an app like Tune-In. Really?
- Navigation, especially with charging stops for a roadtrip, leaves a lot to be desired. In a world where Waze exists, how is it not in Tesla? Oh, and half the supercharger destinations will point you to a mall parking lot where you'll need to drive around for 10 minutes to find out where they are.

I list these items above because they are all things that are important for prospective owners. I probably would have been a bit more cautious with my purchase had I known about them. But all of this stuff pales in comparison to what I experienced today.

My wife and I are in the midst of a 40-day roadtrip, the first leg of which cuts through the northern US. Admittedly, the current weather conditions are a bit extreme, with temps ranging from 10F to -10F the past few days. This resulted in our car's range falling to ~150mi on some parts of the trip, significantly extending our driving time. But at least we were able to get from point A to point B safely. Until today.

Today, our Model Y's heater stopped working suddenly, only blowing cold air through the vents. This appears to be a well-documented issue the past few months, with the only fix being a lengthy visit to a service center.

and then there is this:

My range loss in extreme cold (sub 20 degrees) has been more like 50-60%. In "regular" cold (20-45 degrees) it's more I'm that 30-40% range.
Sponsored

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Which is why BEVs shouldn't have a GOM. Just battery SoC %. Disappointed Mach-E doesn't have a way to turn off the GOM.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
I confess, I am reading these recent tesla posts to make me feel better about my ME and it's minor niggles that people are reporting. Here is another from today:

- I will probably never achieve the rated 300+ mi range. From reading the forums here (and my own experience), that would require never driving above 65mph, accelerating/decelerating like a robot, driving only on flat terrain, in 50F+ degree weather, using the HVAC system sparingly, charging to full (Tesla recommends against), etc, etc. For my own usage, this has functioned more like a 240-250mi range vehicle.
- There is NO live customer service, unless you are purchasing a vehicle or have a roadside emergency. Not as in "the hold times are long" - I mean there are actually no reps to talk to outside of those two areas. For a unique product with its own design and ecosystem, this is a gaping oversight.
- Charging to 75-80% will take 30-40 minutes. This contrasted with the 15-20min I was quoted by sales reps, which might be achievable using a v3 supercharger alone, but that is hardly typical. With the range issues above this can easily turn a 5hr roadtrip in your ICE vehicle into an 8hr adventure in your Tesla. 8hrs of driving can become a 13-15hr marathon.
- There is no built-in AM radio - you need to stream it through an app like Tune-In. Really?
- Navigation, especially with charging stops for a roadtrip, leaves a lot to be desired. In a world where Waze exists, how is it not in Tesla? Oh, and half the supercharger destinations will point you to a mall parking lot where you'll need to drive around for 10 minutes to find out where they are.

I list these items above because they are all things that are important for prospective owners. I probably would have been a bit more cautious with my purchase had I known about them. But all of this stuff pales in comparison to what I experienced today.

My wife and I are in the midst of a 40-day roadtrip, the first leg of which cuts through the northern US. Admittedly, the current weather conditions are a bit extreme, with temps ranging from 10F to -10F the past few days. This resulted in our car's range falling to ~150mi on some parts of the trip, significantly extending our driving time. But at least we were able to get from point A to point B safely. Until today.

Today, our Model Y's heater stopped working suddenly, only blowing cold air through the vents. This appears to be a well-documented issue the past few months, with the only fix being a lengthy visit to a service center.

and then there is this:

My range loss in extreme cold (sub 20 degrees) has been more like 50-60%. In "regular" cold (20-45 degrees) it's more I'm that 30-40% range.
Heat pump go brrrrrr....

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
@agoldman you're not being fair. The Model Y has only been out for a few days and Tesla as a company has only been around for a few months, and their stock market value is incredibly low, especially compared to established automakers. So give them some time.

wait, I'm being told now literally none of that is true.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Which is why BEVs shouldn't have a GOM. Just battery SoC %. Disappointed Mach-E doesn't have a way to turn off the GOM.
I am going to keep challenging you on this just so people can hear a second opinion.
I think we all understand that you don't like seeing that range number and that is fine. You can ignore that portion of the instrument cluster quite easily.
The inclusion of that range calculation is something that I think the majority of owners would prefer to have vs not have.
The range displayed on my BEV has been very very accurate for most all of my daily driving. Where it gets questionable is for long trips. In those cases the suggestions that you and the others have been providing are useful comments.

But for daily driving normal use conditions.....that range calculation is pretty darn accurate. At least the way Ford does it. Can't speak for other manufacturers though.....

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I am going to keep challenging you on this just so people can hear a second opinion.
I think we all understand that you don't like seeing that range number and that is fine. You can ignore that portion of the instrument cluster quite easily.
The inclusion of that range calculation is something that I think the majority of owners would prefer to have vs not have.
The range displayed on my BEV has been very very accurate for most all of my daily driving. Where it gets questionable is for long trips. In those cases the suggestions that you and the others have been providing are useful comments.

But for daily driving normal use conditions.....that range calculation is pretty darn accurate. At least the way Ford does it. Can't speak for other manufacturers though.....
There is nothing wrong with wanting customization. I'm not going to apologize for disagreeing with Ford's UI design,

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
There is nothing wrong with wanting customization. I'm not going to apologize for disagreeing with Ford's UI design,
I guess you've gotten over the "start" button?

You are clearly drumming up anything whatsoever to complain about. As an adult you should be capable of seeing 2 pieces of information and ignoring one that you're not interested in. As an adult I've learned to ignore such posts, but I see other people getting frustrated refuting your obvious attempts to generate negativity and it makes me sad.

Just stop it before you get banned like @Mach-MI

Last edited:

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I guess you've gotten over the "start" button?

You are clearly drumming up anything whatsoever to complain about. As an adult you should be capable of seeing 2 pieces of information and ignoring one that you're not interested in. As an adult I've learned to ignore your posts, but I see other people getting frustrated refuting your obvious attempts to generate negativity and it makes me sad.
Who said anything about negativity? What that I mentioned is negative?

Why are you attributing malice to neutral statements of preference?

If I *hated* the GOM believe me I'd make that known. I'm simply stating I would prefer to turn it off.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I have this screen shot from the web version of Ford Pass.
I am hoping this tile becomes useful when my car arrives. Right now it doesn't do anything because I haven't connected. Maybe someone else who has their car can check it out for both of us. ?
1612906325499.png
A point of concern for me is that this particular page shows a Ford Edge. The FordPass app does the same, although once it actually showed a Mach-e until an update. And the various bits of information you can get through it about the car? Yeah, Ford Edge too.

I'm not hopeful that either the web portal or the app will eventually be useful or even work.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Put a piece of tape over the section of screen you don’t want to see.
And how would one do that when the screen dynamically changes the location of the GOM depending on drive mode and when you're charging?

I'm just saying it wouldn't kill them to give us a toggle to turn it off altogether.

OdellBretthamJr

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape, Mach E
Country flag
And how would one do that when the screen dynamically changes the location of the GOM depending on drive mode and when you're charging?

I'm just saying it wouldn't kill them to give us a toggle to turn it off altogether.
You seem like a smart guy I’m sure you’ll figure it out.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

and then there is this:

Every time my patience wavered on the MachE, I'd go entertain ordering a Tesla (because unlike many here I love both the 3 and the Y). After 20 minutes reading about issues on the forums, I would change my mind.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

I am hoping we are able to customize what we see on that screen. Same as what we get with "My View" on the previous Ford EVs.

My current Ford BEV let's me cycle the left side of my instrument cluster to show 4 views. The last choice is the "My View" and it is customizable. Lots of options. The view choices are Range View, Budget View, Budget Text and My View. I dont understand the Budget Text view....not sure what Ford was thinking there...????
Sponsored