Range anxiety after two days of driving

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Corvette Stingray, 2021 Mach E premium SR RWD
Country flag
WHAT PART OF "WE DON'T WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU ON THIS" DID YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?

jerk

?
We may get snow in Houston on Monday or Tuesday. It may drop down to the teens which is equivalent to hell freezing over in my mind... *

*For the first time in like 2 years and maybe just an inch or two...
Sponsored

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
We may get snow in Houston on Monday or Tuesday. It may drop down to the teens which is equivalent to hell freezing over in my mind... *

*For the first time in like 2 years and maybe just an inch or two...
the thing is down there that much snow is enough to make everyone go completely insane. so good luck on the roads! ?

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
the thing is down there that much snow is enough to make everyone go completely insane. so good luck on the roads! ?
Sounds like SoCal when the first rainfall onset hits!

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Corvette Stingray, 2021 Mach E premium SR RWD
Country flag
Thank you sir but I'm fortunate enough to be able to avoid leaving the house. Houstonians can't drive in ideal conditions so I'm not tempting fate...

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
About this heat pump discussion, I think earlier it was mentioned that the Mach-E has something that works like a heat pump? I hope I am in the right thread.

Having taken delivery, it seems the Mach-Es main heater is some sort of quasi-heat pump (no idea what Ford calls it or how it works) and the resistive heater is supplemental and can even be turned off entirely? I am basing this off of the below picture I took of the information page for the “E-Heat”, which was accessed from that heat rising/snowflake icon on the bottom right of the center screen.

If I am understanding this right, people don’t need to worry about turning on seat heaters instead of the heat to preserve battery, just turn off the resistive heater (the E-Heat).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Range anxiety after two days of driving FFE12317-9B9A-473C-886F-9ECB075BA758

Last edited:

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
this is, for me in winter, the main concern point actually. In IT they talk about broadband's "last mile problem" - super-high bandwidth to a central place, but then from that central place to your house, it's garbage or non-existent.

If you haven't lived in a snowy area, you don't think about snow plowing, but I see this on a regular basis in Ohio... I live on a side street off a main feeder road into the subdivision, and the feeder road and main road that the feeder road connects to get plowed, but my side street does not. This means my biggest issues are driveway and my immediate street... if I can do that under quarter mile, then I get to the plowed feeder street, and I'm set. (This is a money-related choice on the part of the city, I believe... and of course me being lazy/cheap in the case of an unplowed driveway.)

my gf lives immediately off a feeder street in a much smaller subdivision, so at she never has this issue, she has the "plowed in at the end of the driveway" problem, where the city plow just shoves the snow over (it's gotta go somewhere after all) and the end of the driveway is this big pile of now compressed (and thus heavier, harder to plow) snow. That's it's own special kind of pain in the ass, and will be a concern in the Mach-E like any other low-ish vehicle (it's a problem in both her C-Max and my Fusion today if I don't deal with it fast enough after a snowfall)...

those of you in warm climates, we don't want to hear from you on this ?

for the person in Alaska (I forget who it is - someone is though), I know you're rolling your eyes. Sorry. ?
WHAT PART OF "WE DON'T WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU ON THIS" DID YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?

jerk

?
Dude, it gets chilly here too! Down in the 40's last week! We had sleet last year. It melted before I could get the picture, but, we had it! I swear! It happened a couple other times too. ?

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Anxiety Justified? California route one, rear wheel drive, EPA 305 miles. I am a very ‘light footed’ driver. Have not pressed the brake once and over 50 miles of driving.

BTW, regenerative braking better than any discs (gave up 2016 Jag for this)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Range anxiety after two days of driving FFE12317-9B9A-473C-886F-9ECB075BA758

The cold has been a killer for the range. Agreed that the regenerative braking is fantastic.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
It's snowing here in Seattle. This would have been my one chance this year to try out the MME in the snow. Damn it! A good 1/2" of snow wasted on my front-wheel-drive BEVs. No donuts for me!

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
About this heat pump discussion, I think earlier it was mentioned that the Mach-E has something that works like a heat pump? I hope I am in the right thread.

Having taken delivery, it seems the Mach-Es main heater is some sort of quasi-heat pump (no idea what Ford calls it or how it works) and the resistive heater is supplemental and can even be turned off entirely? I am basing this off of the below picture I took of the information page for the “E-Heat”, which was accessed from that heat rising/snowflake icon on the bottom right of the center screen.

If I am understanding this right, people don’t need to worry about turning on seat heaters instead of the heat to preserve battery, just turn off the resistive heater (the E-Heat).

FFE12317-9B9A-473C-886F-9ECB075BA758.jpeg
"E-Heat" is really a toggle switch to inhibit the high voltage coolant heater, in the same way the "A/C" button is a toggle switch to inhibit the A/C compressor.

The text is misleading - the car won't make any real heat at all without E-Heat turned on. Turn it off if you want to either "use up" the heat already put into the coolant to save a few watts here and there (when you're 2 minutes from home, etc.) or to ensure that in very mild days the coolant heater doesn't inadvertently fire up in order to raise the cabin from 68 to 70F at the cost of range.

Essentially it's a "trade comfort for range" button, just like the A/C button is, but for heat.

Reactions: ARK

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Somebody said last week that the MME can exchange some heat from the motor coolant. Don't really know how much yet but we suspected it was fairly minimal. Maybe it'll add 5-10 degrees or something? (Just a guess.) Probably gonna need E-heat on for anything worse that just cool weather, if we want the cabin at a normal comfort temperature. I know I won't keep the cabin below 68F or so. Usually more like 71F.

If I'm put in position to feel like I can't afford to use the juice required to keep the cabin comfortable, I'll just drive our Escape that day instead. I'm not buying a $60k car to compromise and be chilly.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
I'm not buying a $60k car to compromise and be chilly.
$60K? That's funny. I got the high priced spread and it's under $50K. Here under $45K ($56K - $7.5K - $2K - $1.5K). But yeah, same point. No reason to be uncomfortable in a $45K vehicle.

FYI after one trip it's looking like 245 miles freeway. Bad thing is that it's really quiet and smooth at 75 MPH so it might be hard to curb the natural inclination and force yourself to go 70 MPH. LOL Very interesting dynamics.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
$60K? That's funny. I got the high priced spread and it's under $50K. Here under $45K ($56K - $7.5K - $2K - $1.5K). But yeah, same point. No reason to be uncomfortable in a $45K vehicle.

FYI after one trip it's looking like 245 miles freeway. Bad thing is that it's really quiet and smooth at 75 MPH so it might be hard to curb the natural inclination and force yourself to go 70 MPH. LOL Very interesting dynamics.
Depends on how we count it. After destination charge and sales tax, I'll be writing a check for over $62k for my FE at time of purchase. But I have $10k in tax credits coming back.

245 is pretty good for highway speeds. Although I presume that's in San Diego weather, which is usually pretty perfect. Cold looks like it has a bigger negative effect than even speed. Although at least that's only half the year in most of the country.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
245 is pretty good for highway speeds. Although I presume that's in San Diego weather, which is usually pretty perfect. Cold looks like it has a bigger negative effect than even speed. Although at least that's only half the year in most of the country.
I was planning on a hundred miles tomorrow but it may rain, which would be great but would cancel the event. That would have given me a good idea of the range at 68-82 MPH (hard to find a steady speed with traffic).

Cold will take it out of range but you have to be careful when projecting from a small sample of miles. A Prius will get 8 MPH for the first few miles when it's really cold, but as things warm up it becomes much more efficient. Not exactly the same with BEVs but similar.

The bummer is that you're not going to want to drive the Escape! LOL

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag
You should probably carry an emergency blanket during deep winter regardless of vehicle type. Things go wrong.
Um, yeah, and a steel shovel (not plastic), spare clothes, hat & gloves, salt, food & water, flashlight.......at the minimum.
Sponsored