Range vs elevation on I-75 in TN?

GrumblesTheDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GB FE
Country flag
Hi folks-

Debating whether or not to take the MME on a big road trip south (OH to Florida.) ABRP has several short stops for charging (like after 70-80 miles) going from KY into TN. I remember climbing the mountains in an ICE vehicle on this trip -- has anyone here done this in the MME (or any EV for that matter?) and can speak to how much elevation changes hamper your EV range? I wonder if ABRP is just being extra conservative, and I can just get back up to 80% in Williamsburg, then take the range hit on the way up and make it back up while going downhill.

Thanks!

ETA: I only ask because I am making the trip with family, including a fidgety toddler and a dog that gets motion sickness. If it were just me, I'd be all in, but charging appears to add at least two, if not three hours to a 13-14hr drive as is. Three fewer hours in which a toddler could melt down can really save your sanity...
Sponsored

Last edited:

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Hi folks-

Debating whether or not to take the MME on a big road trip south (OH to Florida.) ABRP has several short stops for charging (like after 70-80 miles) going from KY into TN. I remember climbing the mountains in an ICE vehicle on this trip -- has anyone here done this in the MME (or any EV for that matter?) and can speak to how much elevation changes hamper your EV range? I wonder if ABRP is just being extra conservative, and I can just get back up to 80% in Williamsburg, then take the range hit on the way up and make it back up while going downhill.

Thanks!
The hit going uphill is large. Basically it's mass X gravitational constant X elevation gain, so doubling the elevation gain doubles the losses. You do get some/most of this back going downhill but it's not 100%. Maybe 60%-70%.

It can be disconcerting when your battery SOC drops dramatically. Even when you know it can happen it's surprising.

A lot of what you can do is path dependent. The best scenario is to have the hill directly after charging. The worst would be right before charging. For example, just making up numbers, if a hill climb will take 40 kWh, the downhill will get back 30 kWh, and the rest of the trip will take 50 kWh, then, starting with 88 kWh, you can make it one way (88-40+30-50=10) but not the other (88-50-40=-2).

I'm sure you can make the trip if you plan for it but it's going to be a learning experience.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I'd say go for it. I did MD to SW FL (Marco Island) and the Mach E performed admirably. The native navigation did a great job of estimating charging. However, I stayed in the coastal plains. See trips made from Denver to Vegas by @dbsb3233 for more on road-tripping with elevation changes.
Sponsored