makooy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E RWD SR Lucid Red TP+
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
I recall winglet was the term Ford used for the original style. I could be wrong, though. I see the resemblance between the new style and the airplane winglet as well.

They had two generations of those early "winglets", followed by the "trough" that will likely be on our cars.

Here's the original:

You can see it is only connected at the front.

This is the later, strengthened style but still only connected at the front.

While the photo doesn't directly show it is only connected at the front, you can see that in the shadow below.

Here are two shots of the trough style that seems to be what we will get:
last one was my pic from today. Really looked horrible compared to the first version where you could wrap your fingers around it, it is now closed between the handle and the door
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
last one was my pic from today. Really looked horrible compared to the first version where you could wrap your fingers around it, it is now closed between the handle and the door
Agreed but apparently one of the big concerns is that people could catch their clothes, bags, etc. on the original style.

makooy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
Agreed but apparently one of the big concerns is that people could catch their clothes, bags, etc. on the original style.
not only that but what about the paint on the car itself? Maybe nails could scratch the paint off.
Glad that my photo’s helped you guys to discover new changes!

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I recall winglet was the term Ford used for the original style. I could be wrong, though. I see the resemblance between the new style and the airplane winglet as well.

They had two generations of those early "winglets", followed by the "trough" that will likely be on our cars.

Here's the original:
1585319498071.png

old door handle.jpg

While the photo doesn't directly show it is only connected at the front, you can see that in the shadow below.

Updated handle design.png
trough handle-1.jpeg
Which version do you like better? I can see pros and cons with both styles, but guess I like the more rigid and structured trough style.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
The handle was getting broke off at the plant also. Lines, hoses, people putting on parts catching them. It was nice design for looks but not for strength.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The handle was getting broke off at the plant also. Lines, hoses, people putting on parts catching them. It was nice design for looks but not for strength.
Interesting to hear that. Yes, I was worried about how strong they would be.

@DaveRuns: I liked the look and ease of use of the original, as you could hook it with the edge of your hand to open it if your hands were full. However, I think they've made the right choice. The trough should be easy to grab with fingertips. Remember, the door is open already when you grab it, you are only "swinging" the door open. My only concern would be wearing heavy gloves or mittens but you can always just grab the edge of the door to pull it open.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag

Here's the original:
1585319498071.png

old door handle.jpg

Updated handle design.png
trough handle-1.jpeg
I still think latch or hook for the first two pictures and winglet for last makes more sense. I guess I'll just refer to it as the handle since the real cars only have the one design.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag

@DaveRuns: I liked the look and ease of use of the original, as you could hook it with the edge of your hand to open it if your hands were full. However, I think they've made the right choice. The trough should be easy to grab with fingertips. Remember, the door is open already when you grab it, you are only "swinging" the door open. My only concern would be wearing heavy gloves or mittens but you can always just grab the edge of the door to pull it open.
Completely agree with everything you said. I think the new design will be just as functional. A little off-topic, but one thing I really liked about the MME over Tesla was the foot-activated liftgate for the trunk.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Completely agree with everything you said. I think the new design will be just as functional. A little off-topic, but one thing I really liked about the MME over Tesla was the foot-activated liftgate for the trunk.
A friend has an Ecosport with that feature and loves it!

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

My guess is that most of the time we'll just grab the door edge anyway. I saw in one picture where there's a nice coated grip surface just inside the door edge for that purpose.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A little off-topic, but one thing I really liked about the MME over Tesla was the foot-activated liftgate for the trunk.
We've had that on our Escapes for years. Love it. We use even when our hands are free. Part habit, part show-off. ?

makooy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
@ChasingCoral i forgot to mention that BOTH cars (Red and GT) had NO startup thingy. They showed the dashboard instant when they powered it.

I saw more of the screen with the GT, the big center screen looked like it wasn’t finished, no auto-brightness and wasn’t as smooth changing screens when they put the car in reverse and back to normal (default menu > rear-camera > default menu).

BOTH cars did not made any sound driving while that is required according to EU-law.

Only 1 Red had a license plate, other Red and GT didn’t had one.

I’m now trying to find out where these are stored as they mentioned to me that they are stored in Rotterdam Harbour. A buddy of mine works at one of the largest companies where they unload/load cars from/to the ships so my hope is on him to make more pictures ;)

Last edited:

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
All the more reason for a handle / winglet delete option :), probably bit late for the production but should be something the dealers could do pre delivery.

The amount of videos that are out there of the mach-e that go to great length to explaining the handles less doors followed by grabbing the handle :(, the recent one with the door chime being another prefect example, no handles design comments followed by statement of grab handle and pulls handle lol.

From a design aesthetic it doesn't matter what they come up with it is always going to stick out like a sore thumb especially with the rear remaining grab handle free as per the intended design.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
All the more reason for a handle / winglet delete option :), probably bit late for the production but should be something the dealers could do pre delivery.

The amount of videos that are out there of the mach-e that go to great length to explaining the handles less doors followed by grabbing the handle :(, the recent one with the door chime being another prefect example, no handles design comments followed by statement of grab handle and pulls handle lol.

From a design aesthetic it doesn't matter what they come up with it is always going to stick out like a sore thumb especially with the rear remaining grab handle free as per the intended design.
I kinda look at it as the "nature abhors a vacuum" effect. We've obsessed over the mini-handle design around here for months, largely because it's one of the few things we get glimpses of that's been changing. We're starved for information on the vehicle to talk about, so that became a focus.

I'm fine with the (final?) trough design. I suspect I'll just use the door edge most of the time instead, as using just fingertips doesn't seem like it will be that comfortable. But I'm glad they included a little something to grab onto just in case the door gets stuck somehow.

I envision hitting the button with my thumb and just grabbing the door edge next to it as it presents, all in one fluid motion.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I kinda look at it as the "nature abhors a vacuum" effect. We've obsessed over the mini-handle design around here for months, largely because it's one of the few things we get glimpses of that's been changing. We're starved for information on the vehicle to talk about, so that became a focus.
Remember when all we talked about was Covid? Good times.... /s
Sponsored