TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Good news is that Rapid Red is a common color for Ford in lots of existing vehicles. You can go to a Ford dealer now and see it on F-150s, Edges, Escapes, etc.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
II wish too. But that's 418km, not miles. ???
I just now see that in the upper picture. I was initially looking at the last picture where it appears to say "418 mls". But you're right, the upper one clearly says km. Although strangely, the speedometer is in MPH. Would they really have mixed units like that?? Seems odd.

Also, 418 km is 259 miles. That doesn't fit any of the published targets, although it's in the general ballpark.

I'm not entirely sure that's a finished product.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
@J Duce, you're right! Just like @dbsb3233, I was looking at the last picture which looks like "mls". It's definitely weird that they're combining different units of measure in the display. Ford is doing everything they can to throw us off!

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I just now see that in the upper picture. I was initially looking at the last picture where it appears to say "418 mls". But you're right, the upper one clearly says km. Although strangely, the speedometer is in MPH. Would they really have mixed units like that?? Seems odd.

Also, 418 km is 259 miles. That doesn't fit any of the published targets, although it's in the general ballpark.

I'm not entirely sure that's a finished product.
I'm sure: it is NOT a finished product, but a handbuilt prototype. I will speculate and say that the range stated is the guess-o-meter based on how the thing has been driven, and if you notice they drive a few hundred feet, gun it, slam the brakes (no regen), and then come back around for the next group. Not really what you would call hypermiling, so 260 mi expected range on AWD ER isn't bad.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
What does the "L" mean in the middle of the gear select knob? Low gear? That doesn't make sense does it with an EV? I thought they might have an S for sport mode or something. I guess all that gets changed on the screen.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
What does the "L" mean in the middle of the gear select knob? Low gear? That doesn't make sense does it with an EV? I thought they might have an S for sport mode or something. I guess all that gets changed on the screen.
In other BEV's the "L" enables regenerative braking as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator, so it is essentially one pedal driving. I assume Ford is following the same convention.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
In other BEV's the "L" enables regenerative braking as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator, so it is essentially one pedal driving. I assume Ford is following the same convention.
On the Focus Electric L simply had more regen but no 1-pedal driving.

On one of the configure screens (posted elsewhere in the forums here) there is an explicit "1-pedal mode" you can turn on/off. In addition, one of the Ford engineers stated (in a video also somewhere on the site here) that in one pedal mode below about 5 mph the car actually engages the friction brakes automatically--something no other EV (to my knowledge) does.

RobB

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, 66 Skylark
Occupation
Filmmaker, Video Freelancer
Country flag
Rapid Red is a problematic color, based on Ford's literature alone... At times it's dark, other times light, metallic, flat, etc. The two images immediately above are case-in-point. Photoshop is not it's friend.

Most of all, it's not unique. ...If this is such a unique car (to the future of Ford and/or electrification), shouldn't there be several unique/inspiring color options?

Rapid Red is on numerous other things... the Expedition even. Perhaps I just need to see it in person, perhaps not pay an upcharge for paint - rather consider a wrap. Admittedly, this is enough of a big deal though, I might even apply for a refund.

On-line color options currently on the Fiesta are far more impressive than the options for Mach-E!

Last edited:

symos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lotus Esprit
Most of all, it's not unique. ...If this is such a unique car (to the future of Ford and/or electrification), shouldn't there be several unique/inspiring color options?

On-line color options currently on the Fiesta are far more impressive than the options for Mach-E!
I see a lot of people complaining in the forums about the lack of "unique", "bright" colors etc. on such a unique and important car like the Mach E.

From what I'm reading, I'm beginning to think that Ford is doing this exactly because the Mach E is such an important/iconic car for them. In other words, they might be fine with "humoring" people with a lime green Fiesta, but not with a Mach E.

Given the undeniable fact that the average person hasn't the first clue about aesthetics, I can see why they would want to do that.

RobB

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, 66 Skylark
Occupation
Filmmaker, Video Freelancer
Country flag
I see a lot of people complaining in the forums about the lack of "unique", "bright" colors etc. on such a unique and important car like the Mach E.

From what I'm reading, I'm beginning to think that Ford is doing this exactly because the Mach E is such an important/iconic car for them. In other words, they might be fine with "humoring" people with a lime green Fiesta, but not with a Mach E.

Given the undeniable fact that the average person hasn't the first clue about aesthetics, I can see why they would want to do that.
Granted, but Ford appears to be repeating not only Tesla's mistake, but one which the entire auto industry has schlogged it's way through for the better part of a decade now.

2/3 shades of black, white, grey, (med) red, (med) blue. Tesla Green Metallic was darker than BRG. Titanium Metallic and Sig Red were exceptions. Yet, Sig Red does not have all the photographic variability that Rapid Red does.

Then of course, there is the matte black(ed-out) phase.

Seems like these folks are inspired by the Communist-era.

Last edited:

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag

I wonder if bright colors don’t sell. It’s funny because I see many manufacturers edit photos of their vehicles to make them seem brighter and pop. If that’s what’s appealing from a marketing perspective, you would want to think it would be the same for sales. However, I wonder if it doesn’t translate that way.

I remember my dad buying a used mustang years ago. I believe it was around the 2000 model year there was a color available called Bright Atlantic Blue (closest to Grabber Blue today). It was hard to find used and I believe I remember reading Ford only made a few thousand of them. I wonder if the sales volume of a bright color like that isn’t as high as we think. Ford was starting to do this with the Grabber Blue Mach E. It was going to be a first Edition only color, but enough people asked for it that they made it available on the GT too.

another thought is Ford might be benchmarking this vehicle to things in the $50-60k range. While it’s a performance vehicle, It is the price range of a compact luxury crossover. I wonder if those in the market for a crossover luxury crossover don’t typically bright colors.

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
My Competition Orange, supercharged Mustang convertible certainly is popular with the Alaska State Troopers. They don't even bother to stop me. They see it, say "It's Mopey" , and they just mail me the ticket.

Golfer

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT, i3
Country flag
Great close up looks inside out of a rapid red Mach-E

Sponsored