John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
For me, the more I see of the red, the more firm I am in my choice. For awhile I was considering the Space white - if it were more of a real flat gray I might be tempted, but it does not appear gray enough to make me switch.
Sponsored

J Duce

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport
Country flag
This car is beautiful in its super shiny and clean state. Looks like I will have to wash mine often.. well at least for the first couple months until i tire of constant washing. Thanks for sharing this photo.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Watching the red looking so different from one view to another is so frustrating. In the shot above, it looks really cool. I love the dark shadowing. And it looks like it has a bit more of a metallic depth to it.

But then there's other shots where it looks so flat. Or has a goofy pinkish nail polish tint to it that I don't like.

I watched this video earlier today, and I found myself not liking the look of the red as much. It looks more flat than metallic in this video...

RobB

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, 66 Skylark
Occupation
Filmmaker, Video Freelancer
Country flag
Watching the red looking so different from one view to another is so frustrating. In the shot above, it looks really cool. I love the dark shadowing. And it looks like it has a bit more of a metallic depth to it.

But then there's other shots where it looks so flat. Or has a goofy pinkish nail polish tint to it that I don't like.

I watched this video earlier today, and I found myself not liking the look of the red as much. It looks more flat than metallic in this video...

Concur.

Ford is definitely screwing up with respect to paint options.

If they don't fix this, I'm only left with a couple of options: wrap it, or drop the reservation.

Last edited:

J Duce

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport
Country flag
Agreed. It has a similar flat mat look and feel similar to the blue cover public drive car in London.

It looks like my final decision will be made one I see it in person. I'm not wedded to any color but still want it to look good.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Agreed. It has a similar flat mat look and feel similar to the blue cover public drive car in London.

It looks like my final decision will be made one I see it in person. I'm not wedded to any color but still want it to look good.
I think I like the matte (satin) finish from the London photos better. It has more depth and texture to it than this high-gloss finish that looks more flat than metallic to me. It's advertised as "Rapid Red Metallic", but I sure don't see much metallic in it. Very little depth or texture.

I may take another look at the infinite blue. I just wish it were more blue. Looks about 80% gray in the pictures, with only a slight blue tint to it. They really dropped the ball on offering "color" colors.

Wish they offered a green option. And a bluer blue, like the Atlas Blue on the Explorer...

1845ddd02efba793085434bc1662f371x.jpg

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
@dbsb3233, you don't think the red looks flat because it's in flat light? It's snowing heavily with the sunlight diffused through thick storm clouds and snowflakes. Anyone who has ever gone skiing in such conditions knows how flat light changes everything with a loss of texture and degraded perception.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
@dbsb3233, you don't think the red looks flat because it's in flat light? It's snowing heavily with the sunlight diffused through thick storm clouds and snowflakes. Anyone who has ever gone skiing in such conditions knows how flat light changes everything with a loss of texture and degraded perception.
You're probably right. Although it's not just that video where the red looks flat. I've noticed it in various other pictures and videos too (often indoors, with what I'm guessing is fluorescent lighting). Lighting seems to change the look of that color so much.

Thing is, I wanna like the look of my vehicle when it's snowing too. Or sitting in the garage. Not just in good sunlight. And I'm unsure how much I'm gonna like the red in a variety of conditions. I know it's a minor thing, but there are times when I'm just not that happy with the way the red looks, even though I like it most other times. It's so inconsistent. Although some of that may just be camera deception too.
Sponsored