Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
It's in French but here are the result of a test made last Sunday in Quebec between :
Mach-E First Edition (Extended range AWD)
Audi E-Tron
Tesla Model 3 dual motor long range (2019 without heat pump)
Tesla Model Y dual motor long range (2020 with heat pump)

All cars started with 100% SOC, winter tires correctly inflated, outside temp 19.4F. It was a round trip with one charge in the middle.

The Mach-E won for the total range (but with bigger battery)

For you Yankees, here are the "translation" in miles
Mach-E : 227 miles (2.59 miles / kWh)
Model 3 : 221 miles (3.55 miles / kWh)
Model Y : 221 miles (3.36 miles / kWh)
E-Tron : 179 miles (2.20 miles / kWh)

In short, the range is there for the Mach-E but it still about 30% more thirsty than the Tesla but I'm really happy to see that 2.59 miles / kWh

Enjoy! You can put to subtitles on and translate directly in YouTube
Sponsored

Last edited:

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER; 2022 Lightning On Order
Country flag
That's some really good data, thanks for the translation! Glad the Mach-E Won. I wonder how the winter tires had an affect on range - I also wonder if Ford will ever release OTA updates that could help improve efficiency. Didn't T did that at one point?

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
That's some really good data, thanks for the translation! Glad the Mach-E Won. I wonder how the winter tires had an affect on range - I also wonder if Ford will ever release OTA updates that could help improve efficiency. Didn't T did that at one point?
Mach-E won?

Mach-E used 87.64 kWh to go 227 miles. (227/2.59)
Model Y used 62.25 kWh to go 221 miles. (221/3.55)

Sure it went 6 more miles... but used far, far more energy to do it, from those numbers.

I would still call Model Y the winner here. It's incredible how efficient it is.

Looking at the fact that the Model Y achieved such impressively better real-world consumption than the 3... guess that heat pump works after all.

OP
OP
Wildthing

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Mach-E won?

Sure it went 6 more miles... but used far, far more energy to do it, from those numbers.

I would still call Model Y the winner here. It's incredible how efficient it is.

Looking at the fact that the Model Y achieved such impressively better real-world consumption than the 3... guess that heat pump works after all.
I agree with you, Telsa is still in a league of their own for the efficiency. It's even better than the KonaI have which of course was much less powerful, lighter and FWD. The other manufacturers should take note and not just add "dumb range" by putting bigger batteries that add weight and cost. But for most, the important thing is the range and not the efficiency (especially for first EV buyers).

My Mach-E standard range has about the same battery size than the Model Y... long range.

When you start your EV with 20 more kWh of weight and cost, it's much harder to have a competitive product. Imagine all versions of Mach-E with exactly the same range but remove $5,000, 20 kWh and the weight that goes with this and they would be much more competive. I assume that's why tax credits are there. To give time to manufacturers to lower their cost. And to lower their cost, the first target should be efficiency.

But whatever what I wrote above, my choice was a Mach-E Premium standard range AWD despite the 211 miles EPA. It's ok foir my need and I like it much better than a Tesla.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Mach-E won?

Man, your gonna make me put you on my ban list. Gaslighting all the time.

The mache was not built for aero. It weighs a lot more than the model y. Of course, it's not going to be the same. What is true though it the mache gets closer to the range listed always when the model y underperforms time after time with its inflated numbers.

So in the summer or even in areas where the heat pump doesn't play a factor then the mache even would do better stack against the model y.

The bottom line it went further. Guess with your booohooo heat pump if ford put one on the mache is just beat that ass even more.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Model Y : 221 miles (3.55 miles / kWh)
Model 3 : 221 miles (2.36 miles / kWh)
Typo for Model 3. I believe you meant to write 3.36, not 2.36.

Still, the numbers seem strange. Based on those numbers, Mach E has a 88 kWh battery, which is right. But 62 kWh, 66kWh seems too small for the battery size of Model Y and Model 3.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I agree with you, Telsa is still in a league of their own for the efficiency. It's even better than the KonaI have which of course was much less powerful, lighter and FWD. The other manufacturers should take note and not just add "dumb range" by putting bigger batteries that add weight and cost. But for most, the important thing is the range and not the efficiency (especially for first EV buyers).

My Mach-E standard range has about the same battery size than the Model Y... long range.

When you start your EV with 20 more kWh of weight and cost, it's much harder to have a competitive product. Imagine all versions of Mach-E with exactly the same range but remove $5,000, 20 kWh and the weight that goes with this and they would be much more competive. I assume that's why tax credits are there. To give time to manufacturers to lower their cost. And to lower their cost, the first target should be efficiency.

But whatever what I wrote above, my choice was a Mach-E Premium standard range AWD despite the 211 miles EPA. It's ok foir my need and I like it much better than a Tesla.
Yeah, I agree it's not all about pure efficiency, and I too wrote the check for a Mach-E.

Some F-150s have better highway cruising ranges than Focus does. But that's not a "win" when one has a 36-gallon tank and one has a 12-gallon tank. :p

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Mach-E won?

and yet there are TONS of posts on here saying that range is all that matters.

Teslastans say range is all that matters as they crow about their (nonsensical) EPA numbers.

so yes, by the definition of the test, and what a lot of people swear by, the Mach-E won. By the only argument Teslastans ever use, the Mach-E won. By the only thing we ever, ever hear reviewers alk about, the Mach-E won.

as far as the heat pump goes, that's been soundly destroyed on here as being remotely relevant. There's a ton of posts on here about it. I am not going to repeat them all here.

But you keep being you. Those of us that have been here from basically the beginning know better.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Mach-E won?

Although Model Y aerodynamics drop considerably if your roof has the ejector option ;)

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Man, your gonna make me put you on my ban list. Gaslighting all the time.

The mache was not built for aero. It weighs a lot more than the model y. Of course, it's not going to be the same. What is true though it the mache gets closer to the range listed always when the model y underperforms time after time with its inflated numbers.

So in the summer or even in areas where the heat pump doesn't play a factor then the mache even would do better stack against the model y.

The bottom line it went further. Guess with your booohooo heat pump if ford put one on the mache is just beat that ass even more.
Wow.

I don't even know what to say to that.

I bought a Mach-E, come here to discuss the Mach-E, and because I point out physics you get bent out of shape? I never said anything about rated range, or inflated EPA... we're discussing a "real-world" test, right?

Insulted for buying a Mach-E, that certainly feels welcome in the owner community.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Mach-E won?

Too bad they just have an aero advantage and their electric drive is marginal. We need a good heat pump meme.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Where did I say *anything* about EPA range in this thread? Why is everyone so defensive about seeing math?

What's a "Teslastan?"
first answer: it's the point of the video.
second answer: only defensive when you ignore the point of the video to make an unrelated point.
third answer: I'm talking to one.

Last edited:

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
It's in French but here are the result of a test made last Sunday in Quebec between :
Mach-E First Edition (Extended range AWD)
Audi E-Tron
Tesla Model 3 dual motor long range (2019 without heat pump)
Tesla Model Y dual motor long range (2020 with heat pump)

All cars started with 100% SOC, winter tires correctly inflated, outside temp 19.4F. It was a round trip with one charge in the middle.

The Mach-E won for the total range (but with bigger battery)

For you Yankees, here are the "translation" in miles
Model Y : 221 miles (3.55 miles / kWh)
Model 3 : 221 miles (2.36 miles / kWh)

In short, the range is there for the Mach-E but it still about 30% more thirsty than the Tesla but I'm really happy to see that 2.59 miles / kWh

Enjoy! You can put to subtitles on and translate directly in YouTube
I'm good with that... First place in range.

As for the efficiency difference, I think it will be about 66 cents difference in costs to charge up the larger Mach-E battery (in Colorado using the new off peak rates.) It would be about $1.50 difference using the flat rate for electricity.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
first answer: it's the point of the video.
second answer: only defense when you ignore the point of the video to make an unrelated point.
third answer: I'm talking to one.
I genuinely don't know what a "Teslastan" is. It sounds like a country I've never heard of.

There's a Mach-E in my garage... I'm not suggesting people don't buy Mach-Es.

I used the OP's numbers that OP said came from the video, admittedly I did not have the patience to check that math. That's all.

I don't understand why everyone's freaked out by math.
Sponsored