AFVolt

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
Is there a display in the drivers instrument display or center screen to show the amount of kW currently being used or returned to the battery?

I looked through the owners manual, but might have missed it.

I see Braking Coach, but displays after you have stopped. And I know about the, where your energy is going, graph thatā€™s shows the break down of how the energy is used.

But so far I havenā€™t seen something that shows the amount of kW real time usage.
Sponsored

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Unfortunately no, which seems like a huge oversight, just like the lack of kW display during charging. I have to have hope that this will be in the first OTA.

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
I have it in my Kona and it's very useful. I was disapointed to see it was absent when I drove one. The battery temperature is also a crucial information (especially for level 3 charging) I hope they will have it in a OTA. I have an external screen in my Kona that displays battery temperature with a bluetooth OBDII device

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
There Is no option for that on MME yet. But you can archive that using the Car Scanner app and a ELM327 (viewer) BT adapter. I would not recommend for day by day use, but good to have an idea of power consumption and regeneration.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Is there a display in the drivers instrument display or center screen to show the amount of kW currently being used or returned to the battery?

I looked through the owners manual, but might have missed it.

I see Braking Coach, but displays after you have stopped. And I know about the, where your energy is going, graph thatā€™s shows the break down of how the energy is used.

But so far I havenā€™t seen something that shows the amount of kW real time usage.
unfortunately there is NOT a real-time display of kW in/out......

This would be my #1 ask for Display, closely followed by actual temps of various sensors in motors, inverters, and battery core so I know more about what is actually going on.

I'd much rather see actual kW in/out, and actual kWhr remaining than a wildly inaccurate GOM showing estimated range

It is possible to display on your phone if you buy a ODB2 dongle, and learn how to use an App like CarScanner. You can create a custom display.... but since you can't cast the phone display to the big screen or instrument display while driving it's not as nice as if it were displayed by default.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
It's an amazing miss for Ford. Our 2010 Fusion Hybrid, and our 2018 Fusion Energi had this.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
It's an amazing miss for Ford. Our 2010 Fusion Hybrid, and our 2018 Fusion Energi had this.
Pretty sure all BEVs and PHEVs has some sort of indication of power in and power out, even if it's just a needle with no units. All except one, that is.

MachTri

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang mach-e AWD
Country flag
My 2013 Volt had this! I miss it. It's like missing a tac in a manual-shift sports car. I think I saw one in a YouTube with the GT. It was a bar under the range on the left side of the dash display. It went right and turned blue as you accelerate and left and green as you regen. Sorry I couldn't find the YouTube, maybe I just dreamed it.:rolleyes:

ProfitOfTruth

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E, 2006 Mustang GT, 2018 Buick Regal GS
Occupation
IT Guru
Country flag
Is there a recommended BT dongle to buy? I see a lot of mentions about using it but not seeing many recommendations on which to buy. There are a ton of products on the market and so hard to tell which are cheap clones and which are trustworthy.

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
Yeah its mind boggling to me. They've got two screens they can do literally whatever they want with and the "gauge cluster" screen is mostly empty and devoid of information and when they do put a power meter in it its so tiny you can barely see it, I have to squint to tell for sure how many power bars I've got blocked off. My 2014 Accord Hybrid has more useful and well presented information.

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
Is there a recommended BT dongle to buy? I see a lot of mentions about using it but not seeing many recommendations on which to buy. There are a ton of products on the market and so hard to tell which are cheap clones and which are trustworthy.
If you want to use it for ABRP, which I would recommend, it's needs to be BLE compatible which otherwise well regarded OBDLink MX+ is not. I got a Veepeak BLE on Amazon that works fine for 32 bucks but they're not secure so you're supposed to unplug them when you're not using them which is a pain.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Pretty sure all BEVs and PHEVs has some sort of indication of power in and power out, even if it's just a needle with no units. All except one, that is.
I keep looking at the artistic 'mode lines' on the instrument display, wishing that the changing lengths actually were tied to kW in/out rather than speed or whatever they are looking at when they change length and color.... all the sensor data is available, it would just require a few lines of code to change the display and make it more useful....

ProfitOfTruth

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E, 2006 Mustang GT, 2018 Buick Regal GS
Occupation
IT Guru
Country flag
If you want to use it for ABRP, which I would recommend, it's needs to be BLE compatible which otherwise well regarded OBDLink MX+ is not. I got a Veepeak BLE on Amazon that works fine for 32 bucks but they're not secure so you're supposed to unplug them when you're not using them which is a pain.
I'm only interested in occasional reading of DTC's and such. I'd never drive around with something plugged into OBD, that's really asking for it if you ask me. BlueDriver looked interesting, but its currently not listed as being compatible with Mach-E.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
unfortunately there is NOT a real-time display of kW in/out......

This would be my #1 ask for Display, closely followed by actual temps of various sensors in motors, inverters, and battery core so I know more about what is actually going on.

I'd much rather see actual kW in/out, and actual kWhr remaining than a wildly inaccurate GOM showing estimated range

It is possible to display on your phone if you buy a ODB2 dongle, and learn how to use an App like CarScanner. You can create a custom display.... but since you can't cast the phone display to the big screen or instrument display while driving it's not as nice as if it were displayed by default.

I finally settled on what I like to see as accessory info

dashboard_4 power-chg temps-lv DC curr-kwhr.jpg

12 displaying CarScanner dashboard.jpg