First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
Hello all!

looking to purchase my first all Electric vehicle. I’m looking at the Tesla model 3 LR AWD and the Mustang Mach e LR. Without starting a debate as to what is better, I just need some advice from real world Mach e drivers on what their actual range is between charging. Estimates are 475km, how close are people actually getting to that with normal everyday driving, and not driving crazy.
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Hello all!

looking to purchase my first all Electric vehicle. I’m looking at the Tesla model 3 LR AWD and the Mustang Mach e LR. Without starting a debate as to what is better, I just need some advice from real world Mach e drivers on what their actual range is between charging. Estimates are 475km, how close are people actually getting to that with normal everyday driving, and not driving crazy.
I've been reading posts here for a long time... It seems that during temperate times (about 55-90F or about 12-33C), people are getting the rated range or more. In other words, the EPA estimates are accurate if not conservative.

During hotter temperatures, a little less, maybe a 10% drop.

During below freezing temps, a lot less. Maybe a 40-50% or so drop (especially if you use a lot of heating). These are rough estimates.

So in Toronto with mixed highway and city driving, you might expect 340 to 491 kilometers in summertime of full to empty driving range on a Mustang Mach-E, depending on which configuration you choose, and 200 to 300 km in the coldest portion of winter time.

Drive mostly on the highway and lower that a little. Drive mostly city traffic and increase it.

Tremor38

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
I drive 118km for almost all my driving, and I’m at 15,000km of driving and my lifetime driving average is 19kwh/100km
So since I bought in March my 4X which is rated for 434km I am getting average of 464km of total range.
Now the coldest temps I’ve seen since I bought was -5C and I was getting 24kwh averages for the same driving which equates to 367km of distance.
But I expect to be down to about 325km during major winter temps -40C.
I have to say though, if you precondition before leaving a 30min drive won’t use a ton more when’s it’s cold out.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I've been reading posts here for a long time... It seems that during temperate times (about 55-90F or about 12-33C), people are getting the rated range or more. In other words, the EPA estimates are accurate if not conservative.

During hotter temperatures, a little less, maybe a 10% drop.

During below freezing temps, a lot less. Maybe a 40-50% or so drop (especially if you use a lot of heating). These are rough estimates.

So in Toronto with mixed highway and city driving, you might expect 340 to 491 kilometers in summertime of full to empty driving range on a Mustang Mach-E, depending on which configuration you choose, and 200 to 300 km in the coldest portion of winter time.

Drive mostly on the highway and lower that a little. Drive mostly city traffic and increase it.
FYI he is talking about the Mach E. No Tesla gets its EPA rated range on the highway. Look at edmunds, alexonautos, insideevs, or youtube for "real world" Tesla range tests.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The most I have driven on a single charge around the greater Phoenix area is 271 miles and the display said I had 19 miles of range left.

Furthest I have driven in between towns is 235 miles and the display said I had about 23 miles remaining. Average speed between towns is 75 mph.

High ambient temps reduce my range as much as 10%. Super high temps reduce by 20% (115 degrees plus)

Hope this helps. Sorry for not converting to metric.

Rusty0601

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I get about 280mi range on a e4x. driving normal with AC at 75. it gets much better when I stay local but I travel 2 hours away several times per money.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
FYI he is talking about the Mach E. No Tesla gets its EPA rated range on the highway. Look at edmunds, alexonautos, insideevs, or youtube for "real world" Tesla range tests.
Yes, that's true. I was speaking to Mach-E numbers and my winter numbers might be low. (We don't have your sort of winter here in Phoenix so I don't pay much attention to people's winter ranges.)

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
Hello all!

The model 3 and Mach-E are totally different vehicle types (crossover vs sedan), so it's kind of an apple's to oranges comparison, since they are obviously very different in terms of size, utility, and weight.

But with that said, here is an unbiased real world range test between the long range AWD model Y, and the long range AWD Mach-E (which is a direct apples to apples comparison).

If you want more of a broad comparison mixing different vehicles of different design and weight classes, head on over to Edmunds video.

In my personal experience I am very reliably getting about 450km of range on the highway driving at or slightly above posted limits by 5 to 10km/h.

Within the city at lower speeds however, I am getting well over 500km of range on my Premium AWD MME, and I love it!

At the end of the day, just buy the car that "speaks to you" the most, provides the range and utility that you need for your daily lifestyle, and makes you feel good when driving it. It's a really big purchase so you should be happy with whatever you chose. All brand loyalties aside, you've already made the right choice by deciding on an EV (any EV) over an ICE vehicle, so congrats!

Last edited:

kevC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD Preimum Carbon Gray
Country flag
I'm at 3.3 mi/kWh which equates to 290 mi range since I got the car, 20 miles higher than advertised. This is in the dead heat of summer in Texas where we've been upper 90's touching 100's occasionally. I'm very content.

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I'm at 4.1mpkw over 7k miles with probably about 60% or more on the freeway. However I never really go over 70mph since it's almost all urban freeway driving as opposed to more rural highways that can get those 70 or 75mph speed limits. That's with unbridled and 1PD.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I have 10,000 miles (17000 km) on the Smurfmobile. Over the entirety of that distance, I am averaging 3.9 m/kWh according to the car. That works out to around 16 kwh/100 km if I’m doing my math right. That looks like a theoretical 550 km in my extended range AWD.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
ER AWD, 4000+/- miles, more than half at hi way speeds(65-75) and still getting 3.1m/kWh or 290 mile range. If I stay in town I can get closer to 325

NO complaints here

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
Hello all!

I traded a dual motor LR model 3 for my MME SR AWD. Since I put my $$$ where my mouth is, I think I have the right to say that the MME is a better car, in every way except power. There were so many little things about the TM3 that bugged me every single time I drove that car, even after nearly 3yrs of driving it, never mind the big stuff. Life is all about the little things right? By chance, I stopped at a Ford dealer to ask for a test drive. The next day I left the TM3 there and drove the MME home.

Here's the crazy thing. I'm getting nearly the same range in my 211 EPA rated miles MME as my 310 EPA rated miles dual motor model 3. How? In the best of conditions, I'm down 10-15% from the rated 310 miles on the model 3. In my 2 months 4000 miles MME ownership, I'm UP 10-15% from the 211 miles rated range. The last I drove the model 3, it consumed 40% of the charge to go 95 miles with the computer displaying 3.85MPKH which simply don't add up. My 44k miles average consumption in the model 3 was, coincidentally, 3.85MPKH (260Wh per mile). My 4000 miles average in my MME is 3.7.

It remains to be seen my MME fares in the winter for me. My model 3 got well under 200 miles (150 in the worse condtion I went through with it). The good thing is, Tesla set my expectations low, so it will not be a surprise to me if I get 100 miles out of my MME in the winter.
Sponsored