Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
So we're OK but just really bummed.

Yesterday, @Liv and I were on our way to an EV meetup. I couldn't wait to show off the Mach-E to a few other EV fans. There were about 22 EVs registered to show up including a lot of Teslas, a couple of Jaguar i-Paces, etc. Traffic was heavy in all lanes of I-25 in Denver -- probably 35mph at the most with some stop and go. My exit was coming up so I moved over to the exit lane. The car in front was moving but then came to a complete stop.

I think this guy was trying to cut off the guy behind me and just didn't even brake. He slams right into the back of the Mach-E. It shoved me forward. My foot was on the accelerator because of one pedal driving (hadn't thought about that before). Luckily, I reacted quickly and hit the brakes. I thought I was going to hit the car in front of me and barely missed them. I looked up in my mirror to see who hit me. At about the same time, Liv an I both realized he was going to run.

He zipped past me and there was a big opening so I started to go after him. I saw his license plate immediately and began repeating it in my head. Liv was already calling 911. Of course, when she told them we were trying to catch up to the guy they told us to stop. I knew it was a company van so I wanted to get that info as well.

Up ahead of us about 500 yards, we see the van and there is a guy in a SUV right next to them. The van slowly starts to move over to the shoulder of the road. The SUV guy stops and sorta blocks him. The 911 operator is telling us to just stop and don't approach. We do, and we are about a hundred yards in front of them.

But then the SUV and the van move their cars right behind us. The SUV driver comes over to tell us he saw the whole thing. He said he caught up to the guy and started taking pictures of him and yelling at him to pull over.

The van driver came over and gives me his insurance info and asks if we called the cops. I told, "Yeah dude, you ran." He apologizes a few times. I tell him, "Shit happens, but you don't run." He says he called his brother and he is coming. I'm thinking, why do I care.

It is taking forever for the cops to show up. The guy's brother (and a woman) shows up - doesn't say anything at all to me and just talks to the guy. Liv actually calls 911 again and says, "we're on the side of the freeway, this guy already tried to run, and now he has people showing up. What's taking so long?"

Finally the cop does show up. This is the least dramatic part of the whole thing. He gets photos of my docs and asks what happened. He's says, "let me just get his info for you." Liv tells him we have the info of the witness and we we actually had the dash cam on at the time. The cop says I don't need any of that. It's pretty obvious what happened.

He gets the other dude's info for me, gives me my case info, and says hope you have a better rest of your day.

So TL;DR... We didn't go to the EV meetup after all.

Tomorrow we'll try to get an estimate for the cost and timeline for repairs. I imagine it is going to take a while. It sucks because we had lots of stuff (and lots of videos planned).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear ended in Hit & Run PXL_20210403_195326529.MP

We did a livestream on our channel earlier today and talked about it and some of our plans for the channel since we are screwed without a Mach-E.

Sponsored

Last edited:

GatorCat

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE Grabber Blue, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
Occupation
HR Total Rewards
Country flag
That’s awful. Glad y’all are ok though. Car looks good and tore up. was it a van or a panel truck that hit you?

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
That’s awful. Glad y’all are ok though. Car looks good and tore up. was it a van or a panel truck that hit you?
It was a 2005 Chevy van. I think it was an Express.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag

Yesterday, @Liv and I were on our way to an EV meetup. I couldn't wait to show off the Mach-E to a few other EV fans. There were about 22 EVs registered to show up including a lot of Teslas, a couple of Jaguar i-Paces, etc. Traffic was heavy in all lanes of I-25 in Denver -- probably 35mph at the most with some stop and go. My exit was coming up so I moved over to the exit lane. The car in front was moving but then came to a complete stop.

I think this guy was trying to cut off the guy behind me and just didn't even brake. He slams right into the back of the Mach-E. It shoved me forward. My foot was on the accelerator because of one pedal driving (hadn't thought about that before). Luckily, I reacted quickly and hit the brakes. I thought I was going to hit the car in front of me and barely missed them. I looked up in my mirror to see who hit me. At about the same time, Liv an I both realized he was going to run.

He zipped past me and there was a big opening so I started to go after him. I saw his license plate immediately and began repeating it in my head. Liv was already calling 911. Of course, when she told them we were trying to catch up to the guy they told us to stop. I knew it was a company van so I wanted to get that info as well.

Up ahead of us about 500 yards, we see the van and there is a guy in a SUV right next to them. The van slowly starts to move over to the shoulder of the road. The SUV guy stops and sorta blocks him. The 911 operator is telling us to just stop and don't approach. We do, and we are about a hundred yards in front of them.

But then the SUV and the van move their cars right behind us. The SUV driver comes over to tell us he saw the whole thing. He said he caught up to the guy and started taking pictures of him and yelling at him to pull over.

The van driver came over and gives me his insurance info and asks if we called the cops. I told, "Yeah dude, you ran." He apologizes a few times. I tell him, "Shit happens, but you don't run." He says he called his brother and he is coming. I'm thinking, why do I care.

It is taking forever for the cops to show up. The guy's brother (and a woman) shows up - doesn't say anything at all to me and just talks to the guy. Liv actually calls 911 again and says, "we're on the side of the freeway, this guy already tried to run, and now he has people showing up. What's taking so long?"

Finally the cop does show up. This is the least dramatic part of the whole thing. He gets photos of my docs and asks what happened. He's says, "let me just get his info for you." Liv tells him we have the info of the witness and we we actually had the dash cam on at the time. The cop says I don't need any of that. It's pretty obvious what happened.

He gets the other dude's info for me, gives me my case info, and says hope you have a better rest of your day.

Tomorrow we'll try to get an estimate for the cost and timeline for repairs. I imagine it is going to take a while. It sucks because we had lots of stuff (and lots of videos planned).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear ended in Hit & Run PXL_20210403_195326529.MP

We did a livestream on our channel earlier today and talked about it and some of our plans for the channel since we are screwed without a Mach-E.

This totally sucks, but at least you're ok. Hopefully, the body shop people make you car like new again.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Glad you both are okay. The GB took care of you guys!
If it wasn't already....it's part of the family now. Just needs some rehab.

I thought that back liftgate was composite? That sure looks like deformed metal to me. ??? ?

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Glad you both are okay. The GB took care of you guys!
If it wasn't already....it's part of the family now. Just needs some rehab.

I thought that back liftgate was composite? That sure looks like deformed metal to me. ??? ?
It is a composite. I'll try to get a better photo of it today. I found a crack and it looks like a white material.

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Here's the crack.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear ended in Hit & Run PXL_20210404_203947436.MP

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear ended in Hit & Run PXL_20210404_203947436.MP

BUMMER!
looks pretty 'repairable' though, so hopefully you don't have to wait too long for parts to come in.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
You can videos of the repair process for a MME. Nobody else will be doing that.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Oh man that sucks, I hate dealing with car accidents and I hate hit and runs even more. I’ve been really lenient with some minor accidents where the people fessed up or stopped and took responsibility, but hit and runs get the book thrown at them.

Make sure your insurance company knows it was a hit and run, if you need their help getting satisfaction from the other party through subrogation then that little fact will be important. In one case I was talking with the runners insurance company and they were giving me polite static like, “Well we can’t do anything until our investigation blah blah blah” but after I said, “Your client fled the scene, I’ll be faxing you the police report shortly” the tone changed completely!
Sponsored

Last edited: