RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
You should probably file a claim to the other guy's insurance company. They should cover all the expenses. If you submit a claim to yours they may try to apply a deductible. That what happened to my wife last time and we had to fight to remove the $1000 deductible.
Sponsored

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
I just saw the video on YouTube pop when I hopped on tonight. I'm glad you two are ok, but sad for you that this happened. Kinda dramatic too!!!
Again. Glad you're both ok!

QUOTE="Mach-E VLOG, post: 147730, member: 1296"]
So we're OK but just really bummed.

Yesterday, @Liv and I were on our way to an EV meetup. I couldn't wait to show off the Mach-E to a few other EV fans. There were about 22 EVs registered to show up including a lot of Teslas, a couple of Jaguar i-Paces, etc. Traffic was heavy in all lanes of I-25 in Denver -- probably 35mph at the most with some stop and go. My exit was coming up so I moved over to the exit lane. The car in front was moving but then came to a complete stop.

I think this guy was trying to cut off the guy behind me and just didn't even brake. He slams right into the back of the Mach-E. It shoved me forward. My foot was on the accelerator because of one pedal driving (hadn't thought about that before). Luckily, I reacted quickly and hit the brakes. I thought I was going to hit the car in front of me and barely missed them. I looked up in my mirror to see who hit me. At about the same time, Liv an I both realized he was going to run.

He zipped past me and there was a big opening so I started to go after him. I saw his license plate immediately and began repeating it in my head. Liv was already calling 911. Of course, when she told them we were trying to catch up to the guy they told us to stop. I knew it was a company van so I wanted to get that info as well.

Up ahead of us about 500 yards, we see the van and there is a guy in a SUV right next to them. The van slowly starts to move over to the shoulder of the road. The SUV guy stops and sorta blocks him. The 911 operator is telling us to just stop and don't approach. We do, and we are about a hundred yards in front of them.

But then the SUV and the van move their cars right behind us. The SUV driver comes over to tell us he saw the whole thing. He said he caught up to the guy and started taking pictures of him and yelling at him to pull over.

The van driver came over and gives me his insurance info and asks if we called the cops. I told, "Yeah dude, you ran." He apologizes a few times. I tell him, "Shit happens, but you don't run." He says he called his brother and he is coming. I'm thinking, why do I care.

It is taking forever for the cops to show up. The guy's brother (and a woman) shows up - doesn't say anything at all to me and just talks to the guy. Liv actually calls 911 again and says, "we're on the side of the freeway, this guy already tried to run, and now he has people showing up. What's taking so long?"

Finally the cop does show up. This is the least dramatic part of the whole thing. He gets photos of my docs and asks what happened. He's says, "let me just get his info for you." Liv tells him we have the info of the witness and we we actually had the dash cam on at the time. The cop says I don't need any of that. It's pretty obvious what happened.

He gets the other dude's info for me, gives me my case info, and says hope you have a better rest of your day.

So TL;DR... We didn't go to the EV meetup after all.

Tomorrow we'll try to get an estimate for the cost and timeline for repairs. I imagine it is going to take a while. It sucks because we had lots of stuff (and lots of videos planned).

PXL_20210403_195326529.MP.jpg

We did a livestream on our channel earlier today and talked about it and some of our plans for the channel since we are screwed without a Mach-E.

[/QUOTE]

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
So we're OK but just really bummed.

Yesterday, @Liv and I were on our way to an EV meetup. I couldn't wait to show off the Mach-E to a few other EV fans. There were about 22 EVs registered to show up including a lot of Teslas, a couple of Jaguar i-Paces, etc. Traffic was heavy in all lanes of I-25 in Denver -- probably 35mph at the most with some stop and go. My exit was coming up so I moved over to the exit lane. The car in front was moving but then came to a complete stop.

I think this guy was trying to cut off the guy behind me and just didn't even brake. He slams right into the back of the Mach-E. It shoved me forward. My foot was on the accelerator because of one pedal driving (hadn't thought about that before). Luckily, I reacted quickly and hit the brakes. I thought I was going to hit the car in front of me and barely missed them. I looked up in my mirror to see who hit me. At about the same time, Liv an I both realized he was going to run.

He zipped past me and there was a big opening so I started to go after him. I saw his license plate immediately and began repeating it in my head. Liv was already calling 911. Of course, when she told them we were trying to catch up to the guy they told us to stop. I knew it was a company van so I wanted to get that info as well.

Up ahead of us about 500 yards, we see the van and there is a guy in a SUV right next to them. The van slowly starts to move over to the shoulder of the road. The SUV guy stops and sorta blocks him. The 911 operator is telling us to just stop and don't approach. We do, and we are about a hundred yards in front of them.

But then the SUV and the van move their cars right behind us. The SUV driver comes over to tell us he saw the whole thing. He said he caught up to the guy and started taking pictures of him and yelling at him to pull over.

The van driver came over and gives me his insurance info and asks if we called the cops. I told, "Yeah dude, you ran." He apologizes a few times. I tell him, "Shit happens, but you don't run." He says he called his brother and he is coming. I'm thinking, why do I care.

It is taking forever for the cops to show up. The guy's brother (and a woman) shows up - doesn't say anything at all to me and just talks to the guy. Liv actually calls 911 again and says, "we're on the side of the freeway, this guy already tried to run, and now he has people showing up. What's taking so long?"

Finally the cop does show up. This is the least dramatic part of the whole thing. He gets photos of my docs and asks what happened. He's says, "let me just get his info for you." Liv tells him we have the info of the witness and we we actually had the dash cam on at the time. The cop says I don't need any of that. It's pretty obvious what happened.

He gets the other dude's info for me, gives me my case info, and says hope you have a better rest of your day.

So TL;DR... We didn't go to the EV meetup after all.

Tomorrow we'll try to get an estimate for the cost and timeline for repairs. I imagine it is going to take a while. It sucks because we had lots of stuff (and lots of videos planned).

PXL_20210403_195326529.MP.jpg

We did a livestream on our channel earlier today and talked about it and some of our plans for the channel since we are screwed without a Mach-E.

Ok, besides echoing what everyone else said, I would be SO PISSED at the gall of this imbecile to try and flee after smashing into you! What goes through peoples' minds!? I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they just panic and that's their reaction.

But great crisis decision-making to follow the guy. Would have been a lot harder on you, if you plus that Collin good-samaritan guy hadn't followed and/or stopped him.

Car looks bad, but fixable. That's what insurance is for.

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Oh man that sucks, I hate dealing with car accidents and I hate hit and runs even more. I’ve been really lenient with some minor accidents where the people fessed up or stopped and took responsibility, but hit and runs get the book thrown at them.

Make sure your insurance company knows it was a hit and run, if you need their help getting satisfaction from the other party through subrogation then that little fact will be important. In one case I was talking with the runners insurance company and they were giving me polite static like, “Well we can’t do anything until our investigation blah blah blah” but after I said, “Your client fled the scene, I’ll be faxing you the police report shortly” the tone changed completely!
Good advice! I got a message from my insurance today asking if there was anything else I'd like to add. I told them to make sure the report includes that it was a hit and run.

:eek:
Glad you two are OK and you had a witness stop the perp's getaway! Also good to hear Blucifer is still drivable. Take care of yourselves.

BTW, Maryland Collision should have all of Marlin's parts that they could identify up front by the time I take him in tomorrow. They had all but the front battery vent louvres on Friday. Hopefully all the parts you need will be available as well. Those all look like plastic parts (including the tailgate outer panel).
Yeah, looking at it closer today, it is definitely all plastic or composite parts. I hope it can be done quickly.

Devastating! I’m glad you and Liv are ok.
I bet that was a helluva adrenaline rush to just pursue the dirtbag. Good on you guys to get all the information and sounds like a best case scenario for the closure of that type of situation.
Did the collision have any impact on the pano roof by chance?
Best of luck to you and hope you the repairs are done smartly and swiftly.
Looks like no impact on the roof or even the rear glass. It actually took the hit pretty well. I'll post a pic of the other vehicle.

Does the trunk still open and close?
I'd be curious to know if your MME has the bracket for a tow hitch that the EU MME's have.

1617579235869.png
I haven't tried yet. A few years ago I got rear ended. I drove the car home and then decided to see if the trunk would open/close. It didn't and then I had to figure out a way to secure the trunk. I'll try to wait until I can get it to a shop.

Very glad our most famous mach E couple is okay! Did you clock your 0-60 when you went to pursue? I hear the car accelerates faster when it is PISSED!!!
Aw thanks! I don't know about the car, but my heart rate accelerated quickly!

so no arrest for fleeing the scene of an accident?
Nope. This is the second hit and run I've had. It seems like it is just another violation but that's it.

If they give you different color Mach-E as a loaner will you change your hair color?
I have a feeling I'll get an Escape or something. I'd be so happy to get a Mach-E as a loaner I'd actually consider that.

You should probably file a claim to the other guy's insurance company. They should cover all the expenses. If you submit a claim to yours they may try to apply a deductible. That what happened to my wife last time and we had to fight to remove the $1000 deductible.
In the past, I've had good luck filing through my own insurance company. They make the process easy to get things repaired. I have to certify I will pay my deductible, but as soon as the other company takes fault they waive that. They have also been good about handling difficult situations. A few years ago, I got rear ended by a guy driving a company car. The insurance company said the employee hadn't been added to the policy so he wasn't covered. My insurance then just sued the company for the claim. I didn't even have to do anything.

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Here's the other vehicle. I think the paint was already missing on the hood. But it actually seems worse than the Mach-E.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear ended in Hit & Run hitandrun

Liv

First Name
Liv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 RAV4 Art Car
Occupation
BioCAD Engineer
Country flag
Ok, besides echoing what everyone else said, I would be SO PISSED at the gall of this imbecile to try and flee after smashing into you! What goes through peoples' minds!? I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they just panic and that's their reaction.

But great crisis decision-making to follow the guy. Would have been a lot harder on you, if you plus that Collin good-samaritan guy hadn't followed and/or stopped him.

Car looks bad, but fixable. That's what insurance is for.
oh my gosh I cannot imagine how pissed we would be right now if he had gotten away with it. Patrick at least just wanted to make sure the license plate he saw was correct and we could see what the company was but having Collin the Hero pull him over was so perfect!

noname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mache
Country flag
I think all the parts in the rear a plastic, including trunc. Hopefully everything can be just swapped

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
I think all the parts in the rear a plastic, including trunc. Hopefully everything can be just swapped
Yeah, I believe everything broken is plastic or composite. I even took a magnet out to the car because I was curious. The hood, front fenders, hatch, rear are all non-magnetic.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Totally sucks for that to happen at all, no less before you even get the plates. Glad everyone was ok, best wishes on the repair- one thing about composite/plastic parts they will just be replaced, so better chance that everything will actually look like new (because it will be.) Very curious how expensive this will be for the insurance company.

mylittlepony

First Name
Dominick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE
Country flag
Glad to hear that both of you are ok. Thanks for all the videos you release! Speaking of videos, you mentioned you have dash cam video of the accident, did you have a rear view dash cam as well?

• Love
Reactions: Liv
OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Totally sucks for that to happen at all, no less before you even get the plates. Glad everyone was ok, best wishes on the repair- one thing about composite/plastic parts they will just be replaced, so better chance that everything will actually look like new (because it will be.) Very curious how expensive this will be for the insurance company.
I'll share the estimated and final costs when I have them.
Glad to hear that both of you are ok. Thanks for all the videos you release! Speaking of videos, you mentioned you have dash cam video of the accident, did you have a rear view dash cam as well?
It was actually just a GoPro recording a timelapse facing forward. We were recording for an upcoming video that was going to be for Earth Day since we were going to an Earth Day reheated event. I don't have a rear facing camera yet. I have a three camera system coming soon (forward, rear, and cabin).

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Yeah, I believe everything broken is plastic or composite. I even took a magnet out to the car because I was curious. The hood, front fenders, hatch, rear are all non-magnetic.
Ford's been doing aluminum hoods on the Mustang for 15 years or so. I'm guessing that's continued on the Mach-E.

Mach_Enrique

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting; 2021 Mach E GT;2018 Subaru WRX STI
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
Late the the thread but wanted to add that I am SO glad you guys are OK and the guy did not get away. Hoping bat crap crazy driving people are flaunting that has occurred during the pandemic starts to wind down so crap like this stops happening. I got talking to a cop at Starbucks recently in N. Denver and they said the last year has been insane with people in general driving badly, running lights, etc. all on top of rabid increase in street racing.

Hope Blucifer is repaired back to all his (her?) glory ASAP!

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
Good advice! I got a message from my insurance today asking if there was anything else I'd like to add. I told them to make sure the report includes that it was a hit and run.
Police report should contain hit and run. Police should also have asked you if you want to press charges, and that information should be included in the police report.
Sponsored