Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Black Mach E Premium
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Long time lurker, first time posting.

I got rear ended yesterday on the highway during rush hour traffic by a mazda3 hatchback doing roughly 40 mph. First off everyone was okay and walked away without injury. Was going to update this thread with the process of getting it all fixed up after hearing horror stories of long wait times for parts.

It looks like my rear bumper took the brunt of the damage with some scratches and dings above it as well in the license plate area. The speaker box that plays the reverse chime was knocked out of place and was hanging, as well as one of the bumper tail lights. Everything else looked okay to my untrained eye. The car was throwing a parking assist fault, but no other error messages. Shifting into reverse the rear camera looked like it was totally fine. Trunk was still opening and closing nominally. So am hoping it won't be too bad of a fix, just gotta hope it's easier to get parts than it has been.

Some other notes. The car that hit us was doing a pretty decent speed and was completely totaled, front end was pretty much pancaked. My wife and I honestly barely felt it on the inside. Knew the mach e had a good crash rating, but I definitely believe it now given the circumstances.

The car is at the dealership body shop now, and I'll update as I get them.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear Ended Yesterday 20211028_171326

20211028_171207.jpg

Last edited:

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Man that's horrible. I'm glad everyone is ok

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
Huntsvegas! First, glad to hear everyone is OK. This is just a crappy situation because I know the repairs are going to take a while, when it comes to getting all the correct parts. They'll order some, start repair, identify more parts needed, etc. That process will repeat over and over.

Start the process IMMEDIATELY to get a diminished value payout from the party at fault.

And something to consider if you do get a diminished value payout... dump it to Carmax, Carvana or Vroom as soon as it's out of the shop to maximize your investment. Then order another :p

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Glad you and your family are OK. I hope the process to repair doesn’t take long.

MachEGTPilot

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F350 DRW, 2020 Escape Hybrid, 2021 MachE GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Let me guess, the driver that hit you had just looked up from their phone and there you were....

Glad everyone is alright......

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Long time lurker, first time posting.

I got rear ended yesterday on the highway during rush hour traffic by a mazda3 hatchback doing roughly 40 mph. First off everyone was okay and walked away without injury. Was going to update this thread with the process of getting it all fixed up after hearing horror stories of long wait times for parts.

It looks like my rear bumper took the brunt of the damage with some scratches and dings above it as well in the license plate area. The speaker box that plays the reverse chime was knocked out of place and was hanging, as well as one of the bumper tail lights. Everything else looked okay to my untrained eye. The car was throwing a parking assist fault, but no other error messages. Shifting into reverse the rear camera looked like it was totally fine. Trunk was still opening and closing nominally. So am hoping it won't be too bad of a fix, just gotta hope it's easier to get parts than it has been.

Some other notes. The car that hit us was doing a pretty decent speed and was completely totaled, front end was pretty much pancaked. My wife and I honestly barely felt it on the inside. Knew the mach e had a good crash rating, but I definitely believe it now given the circumstances.

The car is at the dealership body shop now, and I'll update as I get them.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear Ended Yesterday 20211028_171207

View attachment 42342
I’m glad everyone is ok.
That damage looks awful. Be sure the body shop is Ford EV certified
Love the screen name!
I would expect that there’s going to be internal damage that won’t be visible until they remove everything. I was told that Ford usually requires replacement of sensor systems, like the ultrasonic sensors, and the BLIS radars, if there’s any damage in those areas, even if the modules aren’t throwing faults.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Thanks about the username!

The dealership is EV certified and has their own body shop. The owner of the dealership here has actually been rear ended in her mach e before (or so I've been told) so this won't be their first time. I'm sure it's going to be worse than it looks based on all the sensors and electronics back there like you said. Will just have to see.

Time to figure out a rental car and prepare for the diminished value fight.

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
Just a heads up that there's a typo in the subject of this thread. I thought you were done reading a book lol

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Interactive Design Director
Country flag
My last 3 collisions were all the result of being rear-ended while stopped. Sorry this happened to you, but glad you’re all okay.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
My last 3 collisions were all the result of being rear-ended while stopped. Sorry this happened to you, but glad you’re all okay.
Pretty much the same here, except the last one I was slowing down at a red light using braking regen only on my Fusion, stopped, then WHAM! My brake lights must have been on for more than 125 yards before I lightly engaged the mechanical brakes at <2 mph. ?

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Glad everyone's okay! I was just in a fender bender where I actually rear ended someone :( It was a super slow speed hit, like 5 mph, so his Ford Explorer barely had any damage but my passenger side front bumper took a beating.

I found a body shop that worked with a Ford Dealer here and had a good relationship with them. Its very weird getting parts right now. I was told the bumper and a few other parts were backordered with no date at all. Then a day or two later was told end of October and then out of nowhere a few more days later, he had all the parts!

The only bummer was they didn't do a tear down to assess the car for what parts they needed (because it was still drivable and I didn't want to be without a car until all parts were in), so when they started the repairs, they found the headlight needed to be replaced and a few other things.

Once again, a few parts backordered with no ETA... thankfully this shop calls a bunch of dealers and found the parts in stock somewhere else but still had one part with no ETA... but it randomly came in a couple of days later.

All in, wasn't as bad as a lot of people on here have been posting. Accident happened on 9/20/2021. All parts needed (at the time...) came in 10/13. Dropped car off on 10/18. 10/20 advised more parts needed. As of 10/27 all parts are at the shop and they're working on it. Estimated to be ready for pickup next Tuesday or Wednesday!

I would say to definitely make sure that if they tell you parts are backordered or crazy far out, that you request they pull a list of all dealers showing stock of said parts and that they reach out to those dealers to see if they really do have it in stock or if it is an inventory error. This saved my butt on quite a few parts I'd probably still be waiting for from Ford directly.

I tried to see if they could do the roof and windshield recall, but they said the Ford dealers will probably be outsourcing that work to a glass specific repair company, like Safelite, so they couldn't assist me with it, which is a bummer.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Glad everyone's okay! I was just in a fender bender where I actually rear ended someone :( It was a super slow speed hit, like 5 mph, so his Ford Explorer barely had any damage but my passenger side front bumper took a beating.

I found a body shop that worked with a Ford Dealer here and had a good relationship with them. Its very weird getting parts right now. I was told the bumper and a few other parts were backordered with no date at all. Then a day or two later was told end of October and then out of nowhere a few more days later, he had all the parts!

The only bummer was they didn't do a tear down to assess the car for what parts they needed (because it was still drivable and I didn't want to be without a car until all parts were in), so when they started the repairs, they found the headlight needed to be replaced and a few other things.

Once again, a few parts backordered with no ETA... thankfully this shop calls a bunch of dealers and found the parts in stock somewhere else but still had one part with no ETA... but it randomly came in a couple of days later.

All in, wasn't as bad as a lot of people on here have been posting. Accident happened on 9/20/2021. All parts needed (at the time...) came in 10/13. Dropped car off on 10/18. 10/20 advised more parts needed. As of 10/27 all parts are at the shop and they're working on it. Estimated to be ready for pickup next Tuesday or Wednesday!

I would say to definitely make sure that if they tell you parts are backordered or crazy far out, that you request they pull a list of all dealers showing stock of said parts and that they reach out to those dealers to see if they really do have it in stock or if it is an inventory error. This saved my butt on quite a few parts I'd probably still be waiting for from Ford directly.

I tried to see if they could do the roof and windshield recall, but they said the Ford dealers will probably be outsourcing that work to a glass specific repair company, like Safelite, so they couldn't assist me with it, which is a bummer.

Good luck!
Sorry that happened to you, but thanks for all the info, its much appreciated! I was going to ask about the glass recall too, so good to know they probably won't do it.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Sorry that happened to you, but thanks for all the info, its much appreciated! I was going to ask about the glass recall too, so good to know they probably won't do it.
Well, it seems like you're doing the work straight at the dealer so even if their body shop won't do it, you can still just hopefully have them handle the recall with whatever provider they want to while its there.
Sponsored