kkriskal

First Name
KK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Hello, The screws for the rear license plate is designed to be tightened right in the rear bumper with threads right on the plastic bumper. I feel this is a terrible design because when I changed my temp tags and installed the license plate, I notice that the screws are already kind of not getting tight, they are kind of constantly turning. It is Not as bad yet that it is Not holding the license plate in place but if I remove it another time, it is going to get worse. When I renew my plates next time, i have to remove and install the year tag with the plates still installed in the car because I am worried it will damage the thread even more if I remove it once more. I had the exact same problem in my 2017 Mustang GT Premium Fastback but the license plate never fell out or anything even though the screws were constantly turning

Is there an insert or something I can buy to put inside the thread so if fastens properly? Has anyone else had this problem?
Sponsored

Polar

First Name
SBJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Select RWD SR
Country flag
Buy a screw one size larger - be careful about over tightening* next time. As you said they are plastic - they’ll strip it over torqued.

*not saying it was you, could have been the lot kid putting on the frame in the first place

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I believe it's a standard, at least for Ford, of screwing into rubber. They are not meant to be taken off and on repeatedly. I undo one screw where the year tag goes a bit, and that gives me room to lift the plate frame enough to get the sticker on.

OP
OP

kkriskal

First Name
KK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you Polar And RickMachE, I will try to install the new tag when I renew without removing my license plate. If it every gets loose then I will get a bigger screw and reinstall the plates.I also see some silicon inserts they sell on Amazon, not sure if this will help in the future in case I need it.

https://www.amazon.com/Donkey-Auto-Products-Insert-License/dp/B014HZ5CA6

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
The problem is usually lazy idiots at the dealer using a power driver to install the temp plate screws, they lack trigger control and strip them out instantly. Never let anyone at the dealer use a power tool to install a license plate, by hand only.

OP
OP

kkriskal

First Name
KK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The problem is usually lazy idiots at the dealer using a power driver to install the temp plate screws, they lack trigger control and strip them out instantly. Never let anyone at the dealer use a power tool to install a license plate, by hand only.
Yeah, lesson learnt. For now it seems to hold the license plate well. Just won't take it out ever.
Sponsored