Rear suspension rebound?

• Thread starter Deleted member 6199
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0

Deleted member 6199

Hi All,

I want to love the Mach E but I took it for a test drive (SR AWD Select) and the rear end was super busy and noisy over small bumps, and would have this big rebound over moderately sized bumps that made it feel like the rear end was jumping up after hitting the bump. I have heard that cars can show up with the transport blocks still on the suspension, so is this behavior normal for the Mach e, or might there have been something unusual going on like those transport blocks? Unfortunately the roads near my house are not great so this is an important factor to me and the Mach e handled it worse than my current Mazda 3, which seems wrong.

Thanks!
Sponsored

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
yeah it does that. You get used to handling it pretty easily. Has a lot to do with the heavy batteries underneath I thuink.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
It's a heavy car, as heavy as the Cadillac barges of the 60's. The difference is that Caddy's had about 6" of suspension travel which left lots of time to dampen the rebounds. The MME moves about 3". There's a completely different approach needed on today's cars.

I will say my wife's MME doesn't bounce. It isn't a 60's Cadillac ride either.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Mach-E premium: 5000 lbs
Mazda 3: 3000 lbs

You might feel a difference in handling since it weighs just a tad bit more than your Mazda.

OP
OP

Deleted member 6199

Mach-E premium: 5000 lbs
Mazda 3: 3000 lbs

You might feel a difference in handling since it weighs just a tad bit more than your Mazda.
Haha very true, and I was expecting a difference. What I was not expecting, especially considering that all reviews seem to laud the refined suspension of the Mach E, was a jittery and bouncy rear end, almost like a a truck suspension. It makes me wonder if the ~400 pound lighter standard range version is just over-sprung.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I think the people who have a problem with the infamous MME bounce are looking at it all wrong. It is fun! It is like bouncing on a trampoline! When it happens, savor the moment instead of cursing it! But alas, I don't have my MME yet so who am I to talk. And I think my wife won't be as forgiving...