Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
So, I finally joined the “my car interior smells like washer fluid“ club this weekend. Why did it take this long? I think it was the first time I tried to use it in a year and a half. I had the panoramic roof recall done back in December and had read all the other posts about the washer tube reconnection issues and leaking fluid. I assumed that I must have had the same problem

Instead of taking it in to the dealer I went at it myself. It was easy to get to. The pillar trim just pulls off far enough to see the u connection. Shocking - it wasn’t connected. It didn’t want to go back together so I figured the locking clip was bad and googled and ordered a new one from O’Reilly auto parts. Funny thing is though, that what looked like the same elbow with clip was listed as a German car part. The picture is below.

Well, the new one is slightly different but works the same way and wouldn’t lock tightly either. The tube seats and clicks but it pulls apart very easily - both old and new. Bottom line - it makes me think the original connector doesn’t really work and you’re all going to get washer fluid in your back hatch area when you finally get around to using that rear window washer. I put it back in with some electrical tape holding the connection a little more tightly together.

Enough trivial matters, now back to rebates, subsidies and HVJB’s.

D27CD592-16D0-4927-80A1-0E0853ED8D3E.jpeg
Sponsored

cbcasas

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I’m running into the same issue in the rear hatch with the fluid tubes elbow connector being cracked. Do you have a part number?

cbcasas

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So, I finally joined the “my car interior smells like washer fluid“ club this weekend. Why did it take this long? I think it was the first time I tried to use it in a year and a half. I had the panoramic roof recall done back in December and had read all the other posts about the washer tube reconnection issues and leaking fluid. I assumed that I must have had the same problem

Instead of taking it in to the dealer I went at it myself. It was easy to get to. The pillar trim just pulls off far enough to see the u connection. Shocking - it wasn’t connected. It didn’t want to go back together so I figured the locking clip was bad and googled and ordered a new one from O’Reilly auto parts. Funny thing is though, that what looked like the same elbow with clip was listed as a German car part. The picture is below.

Well, the new one is slightly different but works the same way and wouldn’t lock tightly either. The tube seats and clicks but it pulls apart very easily - both old and new. Bottom line - it makes me think the original connector doesn’t really work and you’re all going to get washer fluid in your back hatch area when you finally get around to using that rear window washer. I put it back in with some electrical tape holding the connection a little more tightly together.

Enough trivial matters, now back to rebates, subsidies and HVJB’s.

D27CD592-16D0-4927-80A1-0E0853ED8D3E.jpeg
Also, did you use the new connector or the original taped? I ordered a European one from Autozone but it seems a little longer than OEM

OP
OP
Tampamike

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
I used the part that’s pictured with the original other side of the connection. It seemed to fit about the same with either one - not tight enough. I searched on line and could not find the other side of that connector to try a new one. Like I said, I just wrapped some electrical tape around the whole connection to hold it tighter together.

And, no, there is no rear washer reservoir. It uses the one front reservoir for both windows.

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
The windshield washer fluid is some of the most powerful smelling washer fluid I’ve ever encountered. I sprayed some on the front windshield, while the fresh air climate control was on, and it was like salt, tequila, and lime all at once.

cbcasas

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I used the part that’s pictured with the original other side of the connection. It seemed to fit about the same with either one - not tight enough. I searched on line and could not find the other side of that connector to try a new one. Like I said, I just wrapped some electrical tape around the whole connection to hold it tighter together.

And, no, there is no rear washer reservoir. It uses the one front reservoir for both windows.
Gotcha. I’ll have to take another look at it tomorrow, I wonder if I can just tape mine together. In the meantime I ordered this part from Autozone, but seems longer than the OEM part
Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear Window washer tube connection and leak 0BA1DCC7-5C23-4735-92D1-78E700E1C533

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
The windshield washer fluid is some of the most powerful smelling washer fluid I’ve ever encountered. I sprayed some on the front windshield, while the fresh air climate control was on, and it was like salt, tequila, and lime all at once.
Did you pour yourself one?

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Can you see the fluid draining into the passenger compartment? Where does the leaking fluid go?

cbcasas

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Can you see the fluid draining into the passenger compartment? Where does the leaking fluid go?
Leaking fluid comes out of the rear driver side hatch area. The connector is above that plastic grating, in the upper panel (or at least, this is where my leak is… I know others are leaking in a few other places)
Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear Window washer tube connection and leak E1AF5472-AEC7-42DC-B56B-5053F417D1D0

OP
OP
Tampamike

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Leaking fluid comes out of the rear driver side hatch area. The connector is above that plastic grating, in the upper panel (or at least, this is where my leak is… I know others are leaking in a few other places)
Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear Window washer tube connection and leak E1AF5472-AEC7-42DC-B56B-5053F417D1D0
That’s what mine looked like as well.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am glad I saw this thread, because I was not aware of this issue. Since bringing my car home 10 months ago, I think I may have used the rear washer one time. Maybe I didn't even do that.

Now I am going to run the crap out of it to see if I have this problem. My car is going to the dealer in a week or two anyway for another issue, and they can fix this then, if needed.

Thanks for posting this Mike! Good name, BTW...

OP
OP
Tampamike

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
I am glad I saw this thread, because I was not aware of this issue. Since bringing my car home 10 months ago, I think I may have used the rear washer one time. Maybe I didn't even do that.

Now I am going to run the crap out of it to see if I have this problem. My car is going to the dealer in a week or two anyway for another issue, and they can fix this then, if needed.

Thanks for posting this Mike! Good name, BTW...
I don’t think I’d run the crap out of it - you’ll make a big mess. You can pretty easily open up the panel where the u joint is. It’s a strange connector if you ask me. On mine, the pieces push together and click, sort of, like it’s locked, except it isn’t. It just pulls apart easily. The new connector acts the same. Just seems like it’s a bad or inappropriate connector.

cbcasas

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As Mike mentioned, weird connector. Seems like the female connector is too wide (or the male isn’t wide enough) to make a watertight seal. I first tried to put a thin layer of electrical tape around the male to make it seal better, and then tightly wrapped electrical tape around the entire unit. This worked, but some fluid still managed to leak out. Bummer. Didn’t want to have to seal it with Loctite, but it had to come to that. All is working as expected now.
Sponsored