Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Anyone else have this happening? I would set the cabin air to recirculate but it would go back to vent in outside air after a few minutes. I know it is supposed to turn off to prevent fogging but this was in 68 degree weather and gentle mid afternoon sun. Not sure if this was malfunctioning but wish there was a way to override it since I was driving on the interstate and not digging that ICE smell, got annoying turning it off every five minutes.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Anyone else have this happening? I would set the cabin air to recirculate but it would go back to vent in outside air after a few minutes. I know it is supposed to turn off to prevent fogging but this was in 68 degree weather and gentle mid afternoon sun. Not sure if this was malfunctioning but wish there was a way to override it since I was driving on the interstate and not digging that ICE smell, got annoying turning it off every five minutes.
Happened to me once. Selected recirculation and a few moments later it unelected itself. I touched that icon again and it stayed the second time.

I also noticed a weird glitch in the heated steering wheel graphic. When activated the wheel pictogram changes to red and the little 'on' light below it turns red as well. All fine and normal except one time I turned it off and the little light stayed on still.

Kinda reminded me of an electric stove top where you can turn off the element after you are finished cooking yet the light Stays on to signal the surface is still hot. Not sure of the heated wheel is supposed to function like that or not? Seems unnecessary....I think it was just a glitch. ???

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mustang GT
Country flag
I don't know about the Mach-E, but on my '18 Mustang GT it's common (and apparently intentional) for the HVAC to switch from fresh air to recirc, or vice versa, seemingly at random. I think the manual says something about humidity control.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I don't know about the Mach-E, but on my '18 Mustang GT it's common (and apparently intentional) for the HVAC to switch from fresh air to recirc, or vice versa, seemingly at random. I think the manual says something about humidity control.
It does. Page 119

Ford Mustang Mach-E Recirculating air turning off A3CAEBC1-1FE9-451D-AF77-EB088FD986B2

OP
OP
Orangefirefish

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
This is another case of a machine doing something for me because it thinks it knows better than I do. One of my pet peeves.
I’m hoping it’s less finicky when the A/C is on stronger since that would in theory minimize the fogging. Or if there is some way to set a hard override. All the cars I’ve had allow it with a button press. I mean it wouldn’t bother me that much otherwise but diesel semis don’t jive with that MME smell!

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I’m hoping it’s less finicky when the A/C is on stronger since that would in theory minimize the fogging. Or if there is some way to set a hard override. All the cars I’ve had allow it with a button press. I mean it wouldn’t bother me that much otherwise but diesel semis don’t jive with that MME smell!
Right - there are times I definitely want control. One of the roads I travel is within 1/2 mile of a hog confinement!

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I have not noticed this on the Mach-E, but I do wish recirculation would stay on permanently even after the vehicle has been turned off and back on. I don’t think the Mach-E does this (OTA request), but at least it is not like some cars where the recirculate seems to turn off on its own after 20 min.

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Not sure how long you were in recirc, before it automatically flipped to fresh. But most Fords have a strategy to flip into recirc every x minutes to purge the cabin, since CO2 can build up in the cabin, if you stay in recirc too long.

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
I have not noticed this on the Mach-E, but I do wish recirculation would stay on permanently even after the vehicle has been turned off and back on. I don’t think the Mach-E does this (OTA request), but at least it is not like some cars where the recirculate seems to turn off on its own after 20 min.
If your goal is to minimize power consumption from the climate control system by running in recirc, setting the climate control system to automatic will maximize recirc mode usage

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
If your goal is to minimize power consumption from the climate control system by running in recirc, setting the climate control system to automatic will maximize recirc mode usage
For me it is that there are so many noxious vehicles on the road that the smell of emissions, and all those nasty chemicals included in those fumes, comes into the cabin. For this reason, I prefer to always have recirculation on. I also live in an area with a lot of two lane roads, so if I get stuck behind a vehicle like this, I can’t easily escape it.

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
For me it is that there are so many noxious vehicles on the road that the smell of emissions, and all those nasty chemicals included in those fumes, comes into the cabin. For this reason, I prefer to always have recirculation on. I also live in an area with a lot of two lane roads, so if I get stuck behind a vehicle like this, I can’t easily escape it.
In that case, if you manually select the air distribution and select recirc, it should stay there most of the time. But I believe the MME has a humidity sensor up by the rearview mirror that could trigger a flip into fresh air temporarily, if it's sensing windshield fogging.

Some vehicles have air quality sensors that trigger a flip into recirc. But I don't believe the MME has one.

Reactions: ARK

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
If you read the manual it explicitly says that recirculating will not be turned off in Max AC
Ford Mustang Mach-E Recirculating air turning off 1614583818469

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
If you read the manual it explicitly says that recirculating will not be turned off in Max AC
Ford Mustang Mach-E Recirculating air turning off 1614583818469
the MME's software is definitely going to use recirc as much as possible, since it reduces a/c load and thus power consumption by the a/c compressor