Recommendation for MicroFiber cloth that won't scratch?

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
I bought a small bottle of spray detailer, and now I just need to get a few cloths. My primary concern is that I don't want anything that might scratch the paint. Curious to hear what everyone uses.
Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I bought a small bottle of spray detailer, and now I just need to get a few cloths. My primary concern is that I don't want anything that might scratch the paint. Curious to hear what everyone uses.
I bought a huge pack of the Kirkland brand ones from Costco and they work great

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
basically a totally clean one
This. Microfibers have a tendency to pick up EVERYTHING. I always wash mine separate with a special microfiber wash to try and keep cross contamination to a minimum.

Husky44

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
67 Mustang convertible, 06 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
For the absolute softest microfiber for detailing, I highly recommend these:

https://www.griotsgarage.com/microfiber-plush-edgeless-towels-set-of-6/

I live about 3 miles from Griots Flagship store. Their stuff isn't cheap, but it's high quality and works well. I've got a collection of their different microfiber products (along with their buffer, polishing compounds, waxes, synthetic clay...)

Also highly endorse their glass cleaner and 2-sided glass microfiber towels.

agdad

Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford Edge
Country flag
The Rag Company.......their car drying mirofiber towel is HUGE

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Tesla Model 3 Perf, '22 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
I second the votes for The Rag Company or Griot's Garage microfiber towels.

I think the thing that mostly causes scratches with microfiber towels is how they are cleaned. Microfibers get hard (and cause scratches) if you dry them on a high heat in the dryer or if you use fabric softener. So dry them on ultra low heat in the dryer and never use fabric softener.

Also, never wash them with other clothes (the lint and fibers from the clothes can get transferred to your towels). I recommend P and S "Rags To Riches" microfiber detergent. This detergent actually helps to keep your towels soft and even can rejuvenate older towels that have lost some of their softness.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I bought a huge pack of the Kirkland brand ones from Costco and they work great
This ^^^

To me, the reality is that much of what people do in caring for vehicles is unnecessary, in that 99% of the population wouldn't notice if it was done differently. We wash our Kirkland towels with the rags, then hang them on a rack to dry. Having a piece of lint, or thread, from another towel isn't going to make any difference IMO.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
This ^^^

To me, the reality is that much of what people do in caring for vehicles is unnecessary, in that 99% of the population wouldn't notice if it was done differently. We wash our Kirkland towels with the rags, then hang them on a rack to dry. Having a piece of lint, or thread, from another towel isn't going to make any difference IMO.
This is the first car I’ve had that’s never been a through a car wash and I can tell a huge difference in the lack of scratches and swirls and also money saved haha

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is the first car I’ve had that’s never been a through a car wash and I can tell a huge difference in the lack of scratches and swirls and also money saved haha
I cannot recall ever putting one of my cars through the car wash, but I recall being at a car wash, so it must have been before college.

I have taken my cars to self wash bays, but rarely do that. In the winter, it hurts nothing to have it covered in salt and stuff for a few weeks, provided the vehicle is in a cold garage. The reality is that I could wash it, and then 5 minutes later it looks exactly the same. I also don't drive my vehicles daily, even pre-pandemic.

MachEZRt1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME CRT1 AWD (Ordered), 21 MME SR Select
Country flag
basically a totally clean one
Second this. I buy in bulk and cheap. I only use brand new ones out of the package for the car then wash it and use it around the house for cleaning other things and anything else I would use a rag for.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Second this. I buy in bulk and cheap. I only use brand new ones out of the package for the car then wash it and use it around the house for cleaning other things and anything else I would use a rag for.
So you use it on the car one time, then never again? o_O
Sponsored