evfinder

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in
Country flag
My wife and I are heading abroad for 30 days later this month so we will be leaving the Mach-e in our garage while we are gone. I was hoping to tap the knowledge in this group for recommendations on how to store the car for an extended period of time. Because of the layout of our garage I have to park it nose in and would hate to come back to a car with a dead aux battery.

The car is a Select in grabber blue and I picked it up just over 2 weeks ago after ordering back in February.

I have heard different things such as set the car to 50% charge and leave it or leaving it plugged in. Recommendations would be appreciated.
Sponsored

MikeM67

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MachE AWD XR (Man 8/25/2022 Del 10/25/2022)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Ford charges to 50-70% when they ship them out of Mexico. Some of the ME's take months to deliver and are only down 10% or so (from what I've seen written).

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
My wife and I are heading abroad for 30 days later this month so we will be leaving the Mach-e in our garage while we are gone. I was hoping to tap the knowledge in this group for recommendations on how to store the car for an extended period of time. Because of the layout of our garage I have to park it nose in and would hate to come back to a car with a dead aux battery.

The car is a Select in grabber blue and I picked it up just over 2 weeks ago after ordering back in February.

I have heard different things such as set the car to 50% charge and leave it or leaving it plugged in. Recommendations would be appreciated.
This is what Ford recommends.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Recommendations for leaving car unused for 30 days 1664648382875

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
I am confused, which is normal. Do you want the HV battery at 50% or should it be at a minimum of 50%? I would think you would want to charge it up to the normal (i.e. 80%, 85%, 90%...whatever your preference) .

Richard L.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag

Charge it between 50% and 80%. Do not disconnect the 12V battery. The high voltage battery will charge the 12v battery if needed. No need to plug it in. Enjoy your trip.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Park it with the battery between 30-70% and otherwise no special procedures are required.

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
I would probably charge the HV up to 90% and just leave. Not sure why they want to disconnect the 12 volt battery. If I did that, then I would put my trickle charger on it while I was away.

Regulus7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993 C4 Cab, Macan S, SantaFe, Ice Blue MME GT
Occupation
Money Manager
Country flag
I went away for 20 days in August. I was worried because I was leaving the car in my building’s underground parking garage and I had all kinds of concerns about coming back to a bricked car stored in an underground garage. But like everyone here is saying. I left it with about 58% charge and came back to same 58% charge and had no issues at all. Mind you I have LoJack installed and it monitors the battery so when I was away I was checking it and in think the lowest I saw was 12.4v and usually it was 12.9v. So I know the HVB was charging the 12v when it got too low. So don’t worry. Go on vacation and enjoy.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I love the recommendation to move it every 15 days if you're storing int for 30+. Kind of defeats the "storage" part.
Business idea:

“Car sitting.”

Kinda like dog sitting.

I’ll take your car out for a walk while you’re in vacation.

megtrs

First Name
VICTOR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GTPE / 2018 Ford Focus RS
Country flag
Park it with the battery between 30-70% and otherwise no special procedures are required.
follow his recommendation. I drive my GTPE once every 3 months or so for a few days. Sits charged at about 60%. Before I drive it I charge it to 80%. No other things needed.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This is what Ford recommends.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Recommendations for leaving car unused for 30 days 1664648382875
Wait, what? If you disconnect the 12V battery, then close the hood, don't you need an external 12V power supply in order to unlock and open a door so you can open the frunk to reconnect the 12V battery? Seems like this is bad advice from Ford. I agree with other posters: DO NOT DISCONNECT THE 12V BATTERY!

OP
OP

evfinder

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in
Country flag
Thanks for all the responses, I will charge it up to about 70% and then leave it unplugged.
Sponsored