Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium, 2018 Prius Prime, 1969 Camaro
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This ends up being a good story but you need to read through the pages to understand how not ready for long trips this vehicle actually is.

This is my second MME. I owned a 21 which I lucked into while waiting 11 months for my order to arrive. I can deal with all the software glitches that are annoying but I can still get from A to B safely. Took 21 on a 170 mile trip up in the AZ mountains. Topping 8000 ft at points climbing effortlessly although consuming electrons at an alarming rate. No worries as we arrived at destination with 37% reserve. Piece of cake.

This was a trial run for our summer trip to San Diego. I wanted to get a good feel for the car climbing and on the road with AC on, car loaded and changing environs. Desert heat to start at 115+ to mountains where nights are in the 30's. All boxes checked. Next box, charging. Went to only EA charger within 150 miles of destination. Plug and Charge worked perfectly. Car charged faster then I thought it would. All good. Return trip home even better as mostly down hill. Last box checked. July 4th weekend surprise get call from Ford your 22 arrived early! Well early is a relative term I guess. 11 months is hardly early but ok.

Pick up 22. All good. Car perfect. has 91 useable vs 89 (Excellent for the SD trip) set up car now that I'm an expert all settings in car and Ford pass.

Feeling pretty good about trip except new car has 200 miles and I think about what if the new car bug bites? Have faith I thought.

Pack car. Really packed as we are gone for a month. Precondition battery at home, fully charged ready to go.

All good, very good. Quiet on road comfortable power to spare etc. First charge stop at EA in Dateland (I could make Yuma easily but why push it as I will need one more booster anyway) Plug and charge didnt work. Called Ford they said the APP was recently updated and restart phone and update car when you arrive in SD. Ok. Enter Credit card and zoom 20 minutes to 90% and we leave for EL Centro CA. Very hot place. 37 feet below sea Level if you believe Ford Nav. Blue Cruise no longer working hands free. Ok, sitting in car for a few hours call Ford. Same deal you need an update.

An update for a 2 week old car that presumably had all updates done at delivery to take care of the recall for the frying contactors.

But ok. Pull into EA charger 116 degrees. Plug-in. Charge fault. Red Ring at Charger port. There was 8 chargers. Tried all 8 twice. Call EA. They were very nice and said the heat does some weird things with these cars and out equipment.

Called Ford AGAIN. They said its EA and not us. Sooooooo, now they are pointing at each other. I cant make it to San Diego. I cant charge. And these two are acting like two politicians pointing at each other.

Wife said lets find a dealer in small town that can fix this car on a Friday afternoon as a walk in. Riiiiiiiiight. So, off we go. Very nice people and helpful. Well, we got one guy that knows a little something about these as we dont sell these. 3 hours later he says try it now L2 charges ok. We dont have an L3. I updated your software and hopefully that fixes it. Hope.

Well, it worked. For now. Charged to 85% in 25 minutes. Drive to San Diego. Temp went from 116 to 69 in 2 hours. Blue cruise works again. Plug and Charge works again. Etc etc.

@Ford what gives? What happened? Did car get delivered with old software? Did the car glitch and revert to old software somehow?

This worked out well because of some very nice small town folks that care about people.

I know this is a long read. I tried to do my homework and check all things out and settings before going through the hottest place on the planet during the summer. To me car is not reliable for road trip despite all these stories of I drove 4 million miles and not a thing went wrong. I say BS!
Sponsored

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I dunno.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
This reminds me of my first EA Road trip charging experience. None of the plugs worked! I kept going and made it to the next one and charged successfully there.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I am taking that trip with my 21 CR1 in two weeks. My first and only stop will be in El Centro. The EA site in Dateland has three broken chargers, only one works. You can find that on Plugshare and on the EA app. All the chargers in El Centro are reported as working, as are all the ones in Yuma, but those seem to have low power output on some units.

I have done Phoenix to Grand Canyon, Phoenix to Vegas and Phoenix to Tucson, without any issues. Phoenix to Grand Canyon was in July of last year, started that trip in 110+ temps.

Sounds to me as if it is your particular car, sorry to hear that. After you got the new one, did you try a DC fast charge before your trip? I know that as soon as I got my car and set up plug & charge, I tested it locally before my first trip. I think since I have had the BC software updates since my last trip, I will test it again, before my upcoming trip.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
So it looks like you had a Battery Voltage External Isolation Fault, which disables charging until it's reset. Most of the time we see this with faulty chargers and/or issues with OBCC. Here's a good article which explains the fault.

The dealer that you went to performed the OBCC update which should resolve that issue. While they were at it they also installed the Recall Software for 22S41.

My guess is that you should be fixed when it comes to this issue.

You're lucky to have found a knowledgeable and very nice dealer to update those for you without an appointment and on a Friday afternoon. They diagnosed and updated the car in less than 1 hour (3:36PM - 4:35PM).

These are the areas where Ford has a lot to improve upon. Being that you were on a road trip and your charging was disabled, the car should have alerted you to this VERY important issue. It could have left you stranded without charge. A notice such as "EV Charging Disabled" would have been nice - just something to alert you to get somewhere safe before you get to 0.

Last edited:
OP
OP

1969Camaro

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I am taking that trip with my 21 CR1 in two weeks. My first and only stop will be in El Centro. The EA site in Dateland has three broken chargers, only one works. You can find that on Plugshare and on the EA app. All the chargers in El Centro are reported as working, as are all the ones in Yuma, but those seem to have low power output on some units.

I have done Phoenix to Grand Canyon, Phoenix to Vegas and Phoenix to Tucson, without any issues. Phoenix to Grand Canyon was in July of last year, started that trip in 110+ temps.

Sounds to me as if it is your particular car, sorry to hear that. After you got the new one, did you try a DC fast charge before your trip? I know that as soon as I got my car and set up plug & charge, I tested it locally before my first trip. I think since I have had the BC software updates since my last trip, I will test it again, before my upcoming trip.
It was the first DC charge with new car. Our dateland charge was ok (maybe we were lucky) It was just for saftey sake as I knew we could make El Centro. El Centro has 6 chargers and they worked fine. It was the MAch E.

OP
OP

1969Camaro

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
So it looks like you had a Battery Voltage External Isolation Fault, which Disables DCFC until it's reset.

The dealer that you went to performed the OBCC update which should resolve that issue. While they were at it they also installed the Recall Software for 22S41.

You're lucky to have found a knowledgeable and very nice dealer to update those for you without an appointment and on a Friday afternoon.
Absolutely nice people. I sent the GM an e-mail of thanks.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
So it looks like you had a Battery Voltage External Isolation Fault, which disables charging until it's reset. Most of the time we see this with faulty chargers and/or issues with OBCC. Here's a good article which explains the fault.

You're lucky to have found a knowledgeable and very nice dealer to update those for you without an appointment and on a Friday afternoon. They diagnosed and updated the car in less than 1 hour (3:36PM - 4:35PM).

These are the areas where Ford has a lot to improve upon. Being that you were on a road trip and your charging was disabled, the car should have alerted you to this VERY important issue. It could have left you stranded without charge. A notice such as "EV Charging Disabled" would have been nice - just something to alert you to get somewhere safe before you get to 0.
so..... is there any way for an owner to reset the car themselves on the road if the Red Ring indicates a fault ?

Odd that the car's charging system would 'latch' off after a bad charger connection.... but really bad if it requires a trip to a Dealership to reset!

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
so..... is there any way for an owner to reset the car themselves on the road if the Red Ring indicates a fault ?

Odd that the car's charging system would 'latch' off after a bad charger connection.... but really bad if it requires a trip to a Dealership to reset!
Nope, that's why I think some of the IPC messages need to be better. Carscanner may be able to clear those and get you going again since it is an intermittent DTC.

Last edited:

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Nope, that's why I think some of the IPC messaged need to be better. Carscanner may be able to clear those and get you going again since it is an intermittent DTC.
ooohhhhh, that is super good to know. If I have my ODB2 in the car, and carscanner app on phone, I might be able to see and clear ? Not sure I even know what to look for there, but maybe one of the ODB2 experts can make an instructional video ?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
ooohhhhh, that is super good to know. If I have my ODB2 in the car, and carscanner app on phone, I might be able to see and clear ? Not sure I even know what to look for there, but maybe one of the ODB2 experts can make an instructional video ?
It's super easy. Just open the app click on diagnostic trouble codes, scan the car and reset.
Sponsored