Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium, 2018 Prius Prime, 1969 Camaro
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
so..... is there any way for an owner to reset the car themselves on the road if the Red Ring indicates a fault ?

Odd that the car's charging system would 'latch' off after a bad charger connection.... but really bad if it requires a trip to a Dealership to reset!
agree. Does this fault happen easily? If so, thats really bad
Sponsored

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
ooohhhhh, that is super good to know. If I have my ODB2 in the car, and carscanner app on phone, I might be able to see and clear ? Not sure I even know what to look for there, but maybe one of the ODB2 experts can make an instructional video ?
So we have to be car techs to safely travel now.. geeze, this just isn't right..

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
It's super easy. Just open the app click on diagnostic trouble codes, scan the car and reset.
This issue and the ability to recover from a bad charger while on the road makes the ODB2 a required tool to buy and carry in car! and CarScanner or similar app and a little training will be a super great idea.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Ok - So before people go crazy with this ...

The fault "could" be because of a serious electrical issue. However, most of the time when I've seen it it's because of faulty chargers. So I wouldn't recommend that you just willy-nilly clear codes and don't have the car checked out. I mean, I would clear it, but let's not jump to "we have to carry an OBDII dongle". I also think that the OBCC update was supposed to help with this issue.

Last edited:

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
I feel for you. My 21GT Bricked in Dateland and it was a much bigger nightmare than you experienced. Multiple tow refusals and 11 hours of date shakes. It’s in my comments

Jes sayin. I have 2 on order from Feb but I bet you they’re gonna be 2023’s. If they don’t act like thorobreds and become mules I will send them to the resale glue factory

Johnny B

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium RWD 2017Nissan Titan XD Diesel
Occupation
Retired Software Developer
Country flag
Did the Phoenix/San Diego circuit last week. 2021 Premium standard range. Only one charging station operational in Dateland which was a bit of a concern coming back. El Centro and Yuma stations worked fine. 100kW+ max charging rate at all stations.

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
So at what point with a new car should we see if someone could check our VIN to see if there are updates we should have? I got mine a month ago, build week 4/11. Should I assume it came with all the latest modules (other than recall issue)?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
So it looks like you had a Battery Voltage External Isolation Fault, which disables charging until it's reset. Most of the time we see this with faulty chargers and/or issues with OBCC. Here's a good article which explains the fault.

The dealer that you went to performed the OBCC update which should resolve that issue. While they were at it they also installed the Recall Software for 22S41.

My guess is that you should be fixed when it comes to this issue.

You're lucky to have found a knowledgeable and very nice dealer to update those for you without an appointment and on a Friday afternoon. They diagnosed and updated the car in less than 1 hour (3:36PM - 4:35PM).

These are the areas where Ford has a lot to improve upon. Being that you were on a road trip and your charging was disabled, the car should have alerted you to this VERY important issue. It could have left you stranded without charge. A notice such as "EV Charging Disabled" would have been nice - just something to alert you to get somewhere safe before you get to 0.
What was the DTC exactly?

I’m shocked this guy hit the jackpot and actually got a competent dealer. 😯

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Thanks. P2C85 and P1A3C. Looks like this could be caused by water in the charge port or in the DCFC connector. It should say "Charger Service Required" in the cluster, but it's not clear if the code will reset on its own. At a minimum you might have to turn the car completely off and back on to clear it, or at worst it requires you to clear the BECM codes with a scan tool before DCFC is enabled again. Water in a connector or charge port is not that uncommon (trying to charge in a rainstorm) so I think the fault handling should be a little bit more robust here? "Charger Isolation Fault - See manual" would be better, with an explanation in the manual including troubleshooting steps.

@1969Camaro, did you turn the car off in between trying chargers?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Looks like this could be caused by water in the charge port or in the DCFC connector.
That would be a LONG stretch in the middle of the desert at 115°F unless maybe he hit a carwash before going to charge.

OP
OP

1969Camaro

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium, 2018 Prius Prime, 1969 Camaro
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Thanks. P2C85 and P1A3C. Looks like this could be caused by water in the charge port or in the DCFC connector. It should say "Charger Service Required" in the cluster, but it's not clear if the code will reset on its own. At a minimum you might have to turn the car completely off and back on to clear it, or at worst it requires you to clear the BECM codes with a scan tool before DCFC is enabled again. Water in a connector or charge port is not that uncommon (trying to charge in a rainstorm) so I think the fault handling should be a little bit more robust here? "Charger Isolation Fault - See manual" would be better, with an explanation in the manual including troubleshooting steps.

@1969Camaro, did you turn the car off in between trying chargers?
yep and havent washed it yet

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
That would be a LONG stretch in the middle of the desert at 115°F unless maybe he hit a carwash before going to charge.
yep and havent washed it yet
So a software glitch or a faulty charger cable. He's reporting he shut off in between chargers, then that means this error will completely disable DCFC until you can see a dealer to have them reset the codes. Ford should improve the fault handling, that's like disabling refueling on a ICE because the gas cap leaks.

A bluetooth code reader might have to be required equipment on road trips for reading and clearing faults so you can continue to your destination. One bad charger could lock your car out of DCFC.
Sponsored