Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach-E P AWD ER, 22 Bolt EUV P, 23 Tesla MYLR
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
I have a 21 AWD ER and have road trip from NorCal to SoCal 3 times now and all have been good with DCFC at EA along I-5 and US-101.
Sponsored

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
So a software glitch or a faulty charger cable. He's reporting he shut off in between chargers, then that means this error will completely disable DCFC until you can see a dealer to have them reset the codes. Ford should improve the fault handling, that's like disabling refueling on a ICE because the gas cap leaks.

A bluetooth code reader might have to be required equipment on road trips for reading and clearing faults so you can continue to your destination. One bad charger could lock your car out of DCFC.
I've seen these codes lock out L2 as well. So yes, that's why I said these are the areas Ford can improve upon. But this code is also for a damaged cell in the battery. So if it really was a high voltage isolation fault due to that, then you wouldn't want to clear it... They probably need a better way to determine what it actually is.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I've seen these codes lock out L2 as well. So yes, that's why I said these are the areas Ford can improve upon. But this code is also for a damaged cell in the battery. So if it really was a high voltage isolation fault due to that, then you wouldn't want to clear it... They probably need a better way to determine what it actually is.
There are a number of different codes depending on where the isolation fault is. To me, if the isolation fault is detected in a switched area, it should not be a hard fault and should try again with a key cycle. There is the potential for transients during switching causing false positives. "3 strikes and you're out" would be a better approach for switched areas like DCFC and the inverters. The only fault that should stick and disable the vehicle right away is when the isolation fault is detected in the main pack, which could be a cell going bad.

An isolation fault in the DCFC area shouldn't disable L2 charging, that's just dumb since L2 doesn't even use that circuit.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
What was the DTC exactly?

I’m shocked this guy hit the jackpot and actually got a competent dealer. 😯
I know. You should tell us their name. Good dealers deserve credit.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Ok - So before people go crazy with this ...

The fault "could" be because of a serious electrical issue. However, most of the time when I've seen it it's because of faulty chargers. So I wouldn't recommend that you just willy-nilly clear codes and don't have the car checked out. I mean, I would clear it, but let's not jump to "we have to carry an OBDII dongle". I also think that the OBCC update was supposed to help with this issue.
I dunno, an OBDII scanner seems like a pretty good thing to have for roadtrips based on this and possible HVBJB issues.

It seems it’s just not possible to pop the hood and deal with minor issues an EV might experience the way one might with an ICE (particularly older ones).

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I dunno, an OBDII scanner seems like a pretty good thing to have for roadtrips based on this and possible HVBJB issues.

It seems it’s just not possible to pop the hood and deal with minor issues an EV might experience the way one might with an ICE (particularly older ones).
Like I said, I carry one in the car. My comment was in regards to someone saying that we need to be geeks and have additional equipment in order to safely drive the car. I think I've seen like 4-5 incidents like this. That would mean a 0.008% chance of this happening.

I'm just trying to put things into perspective because God forbid I speak facts without hundreds of disclaimers.

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
Like I said, I carry one in the car. My comment was in regards to someone saying that we need to be geeks and have additional equipment in order to safely drive the car. I think I've seen like 4-5 incidents like this. That would mean a 0.008% chance of this happening.

I'm just trying to put things into perspective because God forbid I speak facts without hundreds of disclaimers.

Are you also saying I shouldn't walk around and inspect the entire car every time before I want to drive somewhere like they taught me to do in Driver's Ed?

Egad, I say! 🤣

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Are you also saying I shouldn't walk around and inspect the entire car every time before I want to drive somewhere like they taught me to do in Driver's Ed?

Egad, I say! 🤣
I think that was to make sure the horses were properly attached to the carriage. Most people don't have that issue anymore. 😃

astronut325

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium, Toyota Camry, Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software analyst
Country flag
So there is no way to see if you have this fault code that can block charging other than getting to a dealer or getting an OBD2 unit??? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot to the max!

Also, probably a dumb question: Is there a way to see the version of the software installed on the Mach-E? And also see the latest version of the software available from Ford?

Red Baron

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 2WD Standard Range
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag

Egad, I say! 🤣
That’s what I always did with my Piper Comanche!
I think that was to make sure the horses were properly attached to the carriage. Most people don't have that issue anymore. 😃
What happened to the thread that had the most posts re: recall and HVBJB?

EasyPass

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium 4X, 2017 Fusion Energi PHEV
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So there is no way to see if you have this fault code that can block charging other than getting to a dealer or getting an OBD2 unit??? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot to the max!

Also, probably a dumb question: Is there a way to see the version of the software installed on the Mach-E? And also see the latest version of the software available from Ford?
On the first question, probably not.
On the second, I'd like to know about that myself. I've found no display on the center screen that tells me what revison(s) l'm currently at, and FordPass only shows the Update Settings. I've only ever seen a reference to the rev level once an OTA has been received and is ready/been just installed. Then that disappears.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
On the first question, probably not.
On the second, I'd like to know about that myself. I've found no display on the center screen that tells me what revison(s) l'm currently at, and FordPass only shows the Update Settings. I've only ever seen a reference to the rev level once an OTA has been received and is ready/been just installed. Then that disappears.
There's 42 update-able modules on the car. Sync is just one of them. There's no way to see what versions of software the car has without dealer specific tools. Even if you did see the software versions it's likely not going to mean anything unless you track those versions. Additionally, different trims and years can have different revisions making it all that more complicated. OTA's can update all but 3 of these modules. To be clear, not all OTAs are Sync. Here's a piece of what it looks like:

Vehicle Information:
ABS Anti-Lock Brake System - LK9C-2C219-CD LK9C-2D053-CD
ACCM Air Conditioning Control Module - LJ9H-19F611-AB LJ9H-14D491-AB
ACM Audio Front Control Module - LJ8T-18K810-ZHG JX7T-14C302-JB
APIM SYNC Module - DSMU5T-14G670-CA MU5T-14G676-CA
Sponsored