Registration fees for EVs in MI

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I have no issue with paying for road maintenance. I, and the OP have an issue with EV’s being charged more than gas cars.

the proposal for pay per mileage would be great. Most California EV owners also have a second (gas) car in the family used for longer trips, so theoretically our costs would/should be cheaper. I got my Mach E Feb 2021 and in two years i’ve only put 13,000 miles on it.
I was all in favor of the proposal and disappointed it went nowhere. No state gas tax means my mowers and brush whackers are less costly to operate. The weight and mileage based fees seemed fair to me. My MME just rolled over 17.000 miles (21 months) and at (very roughly) 5,000 lbs I have zero qualms about paying for the road upkeep and improvements. The sad reality is that the EV bump in registration here is $60, too low for its fair share.

We haven’t lived in the SFO Bay Area for 20 years, so I can’t comment on how fair (or not) the ev extra fee is but it should be a wash if done correctly (ours obviously isn’t).
Sponsored

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
I have no issue with paying for road maintenance. I, and the OP have an issue with EV’s being charged more than gas cars.

the proposal for pay per mileage would be great. Most California EV owners also have a second (gas) car in the family used for longer trips, so theoretically our costs would/should be cheaper. I got my Mach E Feb 2021 and in two years i’ve only put 13,000 miles on it.
Before deciding that EV owners are being charged too much, it is important to actually do the calculations to see if you are actually being overcharged. Turns out that in the case of the OP, they weren’t. And for us in California, neither are we. There’s a $100 surcharge on our registration for having an EV. With state gas tax at 54 cents a gallon, we’re paying less than a 50 MPG Prius that does 12K miles a year.

Are some states overdoing it? Absolutely. But that doesn’t mean all of them are. Do the math…

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Before deciding that EV owners are being charged too much, it is important to actually do the calculations to see if you are actually being overcharged. Turns out that in the case of the OP, they weren’t. And for us in California, neither are we. There’s a $100 surcharge on our registration for having an EV. With state gas tax at 54 cents a gallon, we’re paying less than a 50 MPG Prius that does 12K miles a year.

Are some states overdoing it? Absolutely. But that doesn’t mean all of them are. Do the math…
But it's easier to just bitch than focus on facts!

RandyMache

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach e Premium
Occupation
Private Investigator
Country flag

First, I am happy to pay $100 per year extra for California road tax. Second, all taxes in California are way more then most states and third, It’s my believe that our “road tax” is not being used properly for the roads. I think that is true for all the ”gas” and “road” taxes in California.