TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That was in the announcement: "This is in addition to the two years of complimentary access Mustang Mach-E customers automatically receive to the recently expanded FordPass Charging Network for easy pay-as-you-go charging3."

Ford has never said they were offering two years of complimentary charging, only two years of complimentary access to the FordPass Charging Network.
I assume he means still not making it clear whether it's at EA regular price or member discount.
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I’m a little disappointed that the wall box will start at $799. Seems a bit high and I still don’t see the benefit to warrant such a price.
Here is the marketing spin on the wall charger.

The Ford Connected Charge Station offers many benefits, including:
• Ford Original Equipment Spec design
• 48A/11KW power level provides faster charging than 32A chargers
• Wi-Fi Connected Charge Station integrates with Ford Pass
• Customizable Access Control via Ford Pass App
• A Three (3)-Year Hardware Warranty

I personally am looking at a JuiceBox 40 for about $600 - $500 Detroit Edision utility rebate means it's net cost is around $100 for the EVSC only.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag

I personally am looking at a JuiceBox 40 for about $600 - $500 Detroit Edision utility rebate means it's net cost is around $100 for the EVSC only.
What is the cable length?

Deleted member 367

It's more than that when charging at EA. Can be up to $0.99 per kWh. Roughly a $175-$250 value (depending whether they offer the member rate or regular).
If that $0.99 per kWh on EA is true, that is a great reason to not want to use EA ever, let alone rely on it. BTW, my utility charges $0.137 per kWh ! As I see it, even Al Capone wouldn't try to charge $.99 !

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag

Thanks. It clearly makes more sense for those with utility rebates available.
For the rest of us, the wi-if connectivity and charge rate advantage over the free Ford mobile charger plugged into 240v doesn’t warrant $799.

SD_Solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Leaf SV 2019 Leaf SL Plus Ford F250 Jeep Cherokee First Edition Grabber Blue Order
Country flag
$799 for the charge station? Thanks for the good laugh Ford.
Yep, $799 does seem pretty high, you may be able to reduce this cost somewhat with a Federal Income Tax deduction.

I would suggest also considering the JuiceBox 40 Next Gen 40A (9.6KW) at about $599.

OR the OpenEVSE 40A (9.6KW) at $479 and the OpenEVSE48A (11.5KW) at $559.

Great units with WiFi online and smartphone app control & recording.

Ford’s 250 kilowatt-hours of complimentary charging is worth about $150 at EA’s Pass+ rates.
So a nice little feebie.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If that $0.99 per kWh on EA is true, that is a great reason to not want to use EA ever, let alone rely on it. BTW, my utility charges $0.137 per kWh ! As I see it, even Al Capone wouldn't try to charge $.99 !
My bad, I was confusing per-minute with per-kWh. Most EA stations (currently) charge $0.99/min ($0.69/min with member discount)...

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locate-charger/

Ford says a 70% charge (roughly 65 kWh) takes 45 minutes, thus roughly 1.4 kWh/min avg. So $0.99/min translates to about $0.71/kWh ($0.49 with member discount).

Still much higher than the residential rate for electricity, of course. Remember that the electricity is only part of the cost of providing a retail BEV charging station. Much of the cost structure is in the equipment cost, the real estate (if not donated), the monitoring and maintenance, etc.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
BTW, I just checked FordParts.com and didn't find the Ford Connected Charge Station wallbox, so I tried chat.

The chat agent informed me:
"While I can understand the need for this item, unfortunately, that press information was released early, as the Wall Charging units are NOT available to order, from the FordParts.com site, as of yet."
They then gave me a link to the Mach E reservation page and suggested I used the "Keep Me Informed" section, as this will give you updates on the release of the vehicle and other items related.

I told them I had done so. That's why I was chatting with them in the first place.

Sigh.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm still guessing that the FordPass membership will provide something like the members of EA get now -- discounted pricing when compared to non-members.
I was initially thinking 50-50 chance of that. But now that I think it through further, I'm pretty convinced that it will include the EA member discount.

For one thing, the membership is pretty cheap ($4/mo). And most likely Ford is getting it even cheaper than that (maybe even free as part of their partnership).

But moreover, the whole point of the FordPass subscription is to give users a single place to go for all their charging searches/payments/route planning. If they can get users hooked on that, it keeps them paying a FordPass subscription after the promo period runs out. If they didn't include the EA member discount pricing, then many heavy users would skip FordPass and go directly to the EA app and buy the $4/mo subscription to get the discount rate. Ford won't want that. They'll want to try and monopolize the process and keep people in their fold.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Has I said earlier on the thread, Ford Pass should include more networks this side of the border because the other day I've tried tracing a route to my son's place on Ford.ca and I ended up only with dealer's station at 25 kW for the most part. Beside the fact that Electrify Canada is a very small network, witch by the way has open another station in the Toronto area, so if they don't succeed to add more Canadian network into Ford Pass, then it will be useless for us unless we travel to the US.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag

I forgot to mention that if you do a Ford Options (lease-like balloon note) contract you can include the cost of the wall unit (not including installation) into your financing. The cost will be added to your contract but it's not included in the residual value calculation because if you chose to return the vehicle you would not return the wall unit (it's yours to keep now).

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
LOL I bet there are some people at Ford freaking out since they are getting calls about the MME and various parts (charger mentioned above) and the car still won't be available for 6+ months.

I would hazard a guess that they weren't expecting this kind of response to the car and thus weren't/aren't ready for it (hence the lack of communication and the "what? we're not doing that yet" responses when called).

Ford's connected station isn't too far off from Clipper Creek's HCS-50 at $625: https://store.clippercreek.com/residential/hcs-50-hcs-50P-40-amp-ev-charging-station

It doesn't come with WiFi or any other fancy features--just a simple EVSE but Clipper Creek is very well known for their solid EVSE's (I have an LCS-20 that I keep in the car for campground charging).
Sponsored